cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm waiting for immigration reform so I can join NFCU..

tag
w20031424
Frequent Contributor

I'm waiting for immigration reform so I can join NFCU..

Just want to have one of these high limit CC or ultra-low interest auto-loan. So I want to join NFCU. As a new immigrant, my family's closest  connection with US Armed Force is that my grandpa's cousin fighted AGAINST American soldiers in Korea War, which I assume doesn't grant me the membership of NFCU. So I've come up with a plan.  I'm waiting for Congress's bill about immigration reform, which should come out within 2013 and be signed into law by Obama. Then I waited for eight or ten years before I can apply for green card/ citizenship, then I talk to an Amry recruiter and be enlisted. After I get my access code, I can apply for NFCU membership online, the best part? My family can also apply for membership through me and they must get so excited! I can't wait to see the moment they realise these blessings and burst into tears!

Just another ten years, I can join NFCU and apply for their Visa Sig card, maybe they'll reward a 30K CL to me for my patient waiting. The only thing I worry about is that if I station in Afghanistan(repalce it with North Korea or Iran) then and don't have a chance to use my 30K CL credit card for one year, will they lower my CL?

Any answer to this question is appreciated, please don't go off-topic.  Smiley Happy

Fide Amex 15K | Barclays Reward 3.5K | Citi Forward Student 5K | Discover IT 12.8K | US Cash Reward 6K | GE Paypal 5.5K | Wal Discover 6K | CapOne 3.5K | Kohl's 0.3K
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: I'm waiting for immigration reform so I can join NFCU..

@w20031424 wrote:

Just want to have one of these high limit CC or ultra-low interest auto-loan. So I want to join NFCU. As a new immigrant, my family's closest  connection with US Armed Force is that my grandpa's cousin fighted AGAINST American soldiers in Korea War, which I assume doesn't grant me the membership of NFCU. So I've come up with a plan.  I'm waiting for Congress's bill about immigration reform, which should come out within 2013 and be signed into law by Obama. Then I waited for eight or ten years before I can apply for green card/ citizenship, then I talk to an Amry recruiter and be enlisted. After I get my access code, I can apply for NFCU membership online, the best part? My family can also apply for membership through me and they must get so excited! I can't wait to see the moment they realise these blessings and burst into tears!

Just another ten years, I can join NFCU and apply for their Visa Sig card, maybe they'll reward a 30K CL to me for my patient waiting. The only thing I worry about is that if I station in Afghanistan(repalce it with North Korea or Iran) then and don't have a chance to use my 30K CL credit card for one year, will they lower my CL?

Any answer to this question is appreciated, please don't go off-topic.  Smiley Happy

Good luck to you!!! Thats seems like alot for a CU membership and 10 years from now your credit should be good enough for high CL's.

Hope you get in tho, sounds like a plan if your persistant!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 25
Cageym
Established Contributor

Just so you know, you do not have to be a citizen to join the US military. In fact it can help towards gaining your citizenship.

Edit: I should mention that you do have to be a legal resident, and I don't think student or visitors visas count. You would have to ask a recruiter.

What's in my wallet: Cap1 Venture NFCU Sig Visa Delta Gold Amex BCE Citi Simplicity IHG World MC Amazon Visa CSP
Starting Score: 5/2010 550-ish
Current Score: 6/20/2013 TU 800 6/20/2013 EQ 770 6/20/2013 EX 775
Goal Score: 800 accross the board
Message 3 of 25
Chris123nTx
Established Contributor

Hop down to your locall recruiter, i am sure they can find a way to get you in. Might leave out the part about your family fighting against USin the forgotten war. Good thing you want to stay on topic. Throw guns and religion in the mix and you have the triffecta of hot button issues that divide the country. Not sure if your post is designed to get a rise out of people, but have fun with your plan.
Message 4 of 25
Adalen
Frequent Contributor

To my knowledge, NFCU does not do credit limit decreases unless you ask for them or you default.

To add, ten years is a long time.  If a high limit card is a primary motivation for joining the armed forces, then I think you are getting a little ahead of yourself.  If you're joining because you want to serve, that's a different matter altogether.  Either way, who knows what war we'll be involved with in ten years, if any.  You just have to be ready and willing to go.

Message 5 of 25
CS800
Super Contributor

Just to clarify.

The immigration reform should help but make sure that you stay out of trouble in the meantime. A green card is still subjected to a background check. Although you want to get into NFCU, I do hope that your primary objective is to serve your country first Smiley Happy

-  You will need a GC to enlist in any branch as far as I know and I'm very familiar with the immigration procedures with reference to military enlistment. (there have been exceptions)

- To be an officer, you need to be a citizen.

- Make sure you're signed up for selective service prior to enlisting

- Once you get a GC, being in the military as an enlistee will help towards your citizenship

I would contact the nearest recruiting office and see what they can advise you. Good luck

Message 6 of 25
hausfrau
New Contributor

Joining the army for financial reasons is ridiculous. The pay is terrible, and your benefits get the knife whenever the country wants to trim down the budget. Also, a high limit CC isn't worth going to war for.

You sound vaguely familiar, is this my imagination or does anyone else see this?

Starting my rebuild!

Message 7 of 25
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@hausfrau wrote:

You sound vaguely familiar, is this my imagination or does anyone else see this?

+1 My first thought was that the OP might be a recently departed troll, but after looking at OP's earlier posts, not sure. I did perceive the thread starting post as probably some sort of joke, though. I don't believe anybody could come up with a real proposal like that, complete with "$30k credit limit."

Message 8 of 25
NJTurnpike
Established Contributor

@Gunnar419 wrote:

@hausfrau wrote:

+1 My first thought was that the OP might be a recently departed troll, but after looking at OP's earlier posts, not sure. I did perceive the thread starting post as probably some sort of joke, though. I don't believe anybody could come up with a real proposal like that, complete with "$30k credit limit."

If it's 10 years from now, he should probably be aiming for a $50k CL factoring inflation and rise in income. Smiley Very Happy

DCU ( pulled 3/29/13) EQ04 683 | Amex (pulled 3/28/13) EX 760 | US Bank (pulled 3/28/13) EX 753
CreditKarma (4/19/13) TU-TR 701 | TU Vantage 788 | USAA FAKO (3/31/13) EX 728, EQ 699, TU 737 |
Inquiries (4/18/13) EX 13 | EQ 13 | TU 14
Message 9 of 25
hausfrau
New Contributor

There likely won't be a rise in income if they join the army!

Starting my rebuild!

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.