cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I made 3 late payments this month!! So far no damage?

tag
jasonkm1
Regular Contributor

I made 3 late payments this month!! So far no damage?

I made a big mistake and paid three credit cards late this month! Discover was 2 days after the payment due, and Chase United and Comenity Total Rewards were both one day late. I have around a 5yr aaoa and have no negatives, never previously made a late payment. This was 2 weeks ago and so far nothing negative has been reported to the credit agencies, I have been checking daily with MyPrivacyMatters. I got charged a late fee from Chase, but not the other two cards. I also checked my APR's and they all stayed the same. Because my late payment was under 30 days, do you guys think I can expect nothing else bad to happen?  Or has anyone else made a few days late payment and got it reported?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I made 3 late payments this month!! So far no damage?

@jasonkm1 wrote:

I made a big mistake and paid three credit cards late this month! Discover was 2 days after the payment due, and Chase United and Comenity Total Rewards were both one day late. I have around a 5yr aaoa and have no negatives, never previously made a late payment. This was 2 weeks ago and so far nothing negative has been reported to the credit agencies, I have been checking daily with MyPrivacyMatters. I got charged a late fee from Chase, but not the other two cards. I also checked my APR's and they all stayed the same. Because my late payment was under 30 days, do you guys think I can expect nothing else bad to happen?  Or has anyone else made a few days late payment and got it reported?

It wont report to the credit bureaus unless it was over 30 days late. The only thing that could happen is your apr's would go up but if you say that hasnt happened then thats awesome! Its not good to pay credit cards late though so I would recommend maybe setting alerts on your phone or automatic payments. 

Message 2 of 5
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Generally a late payment has to be 30 days (one statement cycle) to be reported. Most cards, not all will charge a late fee if you don't pay before the due date, most will reverse the charge if you call and play nice - BUT, you just burned the good will factor and with a second late you'll get your APR's kicked into the penality rate for 6 months. NOT something you want to do.

As far as reporting the lates to the CRA's - don't think you have to worry about that.

Message 3 of 5
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Yes, you are probably OK but monitor the APR when the next statement cuts (which might include late fees from the other two, but hopefully not).

AND..... set up auto-pay!  Either minimum or full balance, depending on your needs.

Message 4 of 5
jasonkm1
Regular Contributor

Thanks everyone for all the input! I do feel much better now -- even if they do raise my a.p.r. when my next statement comes out I won't care since I always pay in full. I just don't want it reporting as late.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.