Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I made a little Mistake.......

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: I made a little Mistake.......

I'm with BrianPan; don't ever tell on yourself until you're certain something has gone wrong. 

Years ago I had a similar experience with AMEX and I did the same as you, I called customer service and 'fell on the sword'.  They were nice and noted my account although they weren't showing the returned check yet.  I even overnighted a cashier's check to replace the 'bounced' check... I thought I had everything covered.  I never counted on AMEX resubmitting the check two more times to my bank (of course, by now I had used the funds to purchase the cashier's check).  I eventually had to stop-payment on the original check, which looked *much worse* than a bounced check.  It was over a week later before AMEX showed I had a returned payment, which of course had been covered by the casher's check days earlier.  Only then did AMEX charge me a returned payment fee. 

I would have saved myself numerous fees, not to mention my "up-until-then-flawless" reputation with AMEX if I had just let the dust settle before I freaked and tried to 'proactively' fix everything, since everything would have fixed itself and (other than the original NSF bank fee) nobody would have been the wiser.  Lesson learned...

Message 11 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.