Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I may have to carry a balance, for the first time ever

tag
CarbonCard
Established Contributor

Re: I may have to carry a balance, for the first time ever

@Anonymous wrote:

I have never carried a balance on my credit cards before (other than two accidental late payments, one in 2008 and one in 2009). I had to take my boyfriend to the emergency room on two occaisions a couple of weeks ago, and today, we got the bills (insert scary music here). As soon as I saw the bills, I called the hospital, knowing that they have a discounted rate if you pay your full balance soon after the date of the bill. I was able to score a 25% discount, but had to pay it then. I put it on my Discover It card, which has a 0% promo interest rate for a while (since I just got the card in April). I could have paid it out of my emergency fund, but I thought it would be just as easy to do it this way. What do you guys think? Boyfriend will just make the payments to me and I will pay off the balance as he pays me. I know it will get paid, since we have lived together for nearly a decade and he has never not paid me back for anything, but I am still a little unsettled about carrying a balance. I assume I will see a drop in scores temporarily for utilization. Can I expect any other side affects from this?

Life happens and your scores will be back as soon as you pay your balances. And really, if you're not applying for a CC, loan, mortgage or anything, then you don't really need a perfect score. And since you're paying for the bills with a 0% card, then this is a win win scenario. The only time it would hurt you (financially) is when you used a 20+% card.

Starting Score: (1/15)TU: 690 EX: 690 EQ: 711
Current Score: (10/18) TU-8: 813 EX-8: 808 EQ: 797
Goal Score: (7/20) 800+ for all three bureaus

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 31 of 37
CarbonCard
Established Contributor

@rockbttm442 wrote:

Why don't you use your emergency fund and have him back that back? 

I wouldn't do this personally, especially if your emergency fund is in an interest bearing account (stocks, CD, etc)

Starting Score: (1/15)TU: 690 EX: 690 EQ: 711
Current Score: (10/18) TU-8: 813 EX-8: 808 EQ: 797
Goal Score: (7/20) 800+ for all three bureaus

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 32 of 37
NRB525
Super Contributor

@CarbonCard wrote:

@rockbttm442 wrote:

Why don't you use your emergency fund and have him back that back? 

I wouldn't do this personally, especially if your emergency fund is in an interest bearing account (stocks, CD, etc)

The main reason not to use the emergency fund cash immediately, and to use a 0% offer card instead, is the flexibility of paying back the credit, and maintaining the cash reserve. Credit is useful to ensure your options remain open when life throws curveballs. Knowing the cash in the emergency fund is available to pay down / pay off the CC is helpful, and using the 0% offer period is a good financial decision.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 33 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I have never carried a balance on my credit cards before (other than two accidental late payments, one in 2008 and one in 2009). I had to take my boyfriend to the emergency room on two occaisions a couple of weeks ago, and today, we got the bills (insert scary music here). As soon as I saw the bills, I called the hospital, knowing that they have a discounted rate if you pay your full balance soon after the date of the bill. I was able to score a 25% discount, but had to pay it then. I put it on my Discover It card, which has a 0% promo interest rate for a while (since I just got the card in April). I could have paid it out of my emergency fund, but I thought it would be just as easy to do it this way. What do you guys think? Boyfriend will just make the payments to me and I will pay off the balance as he pays me. I know it will get paid, since we have lived together for nearly a decade and he has never not paid me back for anything, but I am still a little unsettled about carrying a balance. I assume I will see a drop in scores temporarily for utilization. Can I expect any other side affects from this?

1 - Sorry to hear about the medical emergency. Hopefully everything works out, and he gets back to 100% soon.

2 - Kudos for getting the 25% early bird discount. I'd have let that ride on the Discover. DBF is going to need that emergency fund as he gets back on his feet? He may have the cash now to pay it, but can his cash flow for the next few months handle it?

3 - You have quite a wide difference, 65 points, between TU and EX/EQ. Why is that? You've got a long credit history, how much impact are these two lates? Anything else causing that 65 point gap between the 3 scores?

4 - Could you please clarify your statement "I have never carried a balance". Do you let any cards report any balance on any statement?

Because, with your long credit history, even with a couple of lates, you only have $10,500 of regular credit card lines? And if those are on 4 0% Offers (implying they are relatively recent card apps?) that you aren't using, what other regular (not store) credit cards have you had?

Good luck certainly, I'm just trying to understand your overall credit picture.

Great questions. I'll try to answer them fully. I love any input from all on my situation.

1. Thank you. He is already feeling great again.

2. This is a great question. I can handle all of our bills on my income alone, so we won't be in any immediate danger if his cash runs low. Luckily, we don't have any debt other than my student loan (which is a little over 5K) and just regular monthly expenses. But that it something to think about. It would be manageble, but tight, if his cash reserve ran low.

3. I think I can explain the difference in the reports. The two late payments from 2008-2009 are on my oldest card (the Fashion Bug card). The late payments are reporting on EX and EQ, but not on my TU. All other accounts on the reports are showing the same, so I have to discern that it is, indeed, these two 30-day late payments that are weighing down the scores on EX and EQ.

4. I usually rotate letting a balance report on different cards, but never more than a couple of dollars. All balances are paid before the statement cuts, unless it is the card that I choose to let report, in which case, the balance is paid directly after the statement cuts.

The Fashion Bug card was opened in 2006. I have had a couple of personal loans (very old, most are falling off of the reports now). All of the other accounts in my signature were just opened in April-May of 2015. I basically ignored credit for a few years and used cash/debit only. Both QS1s, Discover, and Amex are all on 0% offers right now because they are all new accounts. About Around 2002 I did have an Orchard Bank card (with horrible terms) that I defaulted on (typical young person credit card mistakes. It had a $300 limit. No trace of that on my reports now).

Message 34 of 37
NRB525
Super Contributor

Ok, clear. Hopefully those lates are due to drop off soon.

For the four real credit cards you have, since you are rebuilding credit activity (and this applies to everyone since we are all trying to build scores up) my opinion is you should use them and let those balances report normally on the statements, then PIF by the payment due date.

I know, I know, the mantra around here is "all card at zero except 1" and that can be used for optimization. Except that 99% of the time, we are not optimizing our score, we are building a credit file. The way that gets communicated out to other potential lenders is with showing balances on accounts that are not in default, are meeting payment terms.

You are free to keep them at zero except one, that may be your choice. I just think, based on my long history of credit product usage, that is not the best choice as a long term strategy.

Cheers!

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 35 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

Ok, clear. Hopefully those lates are due to drop off soon.

For the four real credit cards you have, since you are rebuilding credit activity (and this applies to everyone since we are all trying to build scores up) my opinion is you should use them and let those balances report normally on the statements, then PIF by the payment due date.

I know, I know, the mantra around here is "all card at zero except 1" and that can be used for optimization. Except that 99% of the time, we are not optimizing our score, we are building a credit file. The way that gets communicated out to other potential lenders is with showing balances on accounts that are not in default, are meeting payment terms.

You are free to keep them at zero except one, that may be your choice. I just think, based on my long history of credit product usage, that is not the best choice as a long term strategy.

Cheers!

Great point. My goal right now is to build a respectible looking credit portfolio. Of course I am concerned with scores (because I am having a little competition with  a family member on who can achieve the higher score). I am not planning to app for anything anytime soon. I want to build a nice file so that in a few years, when I am ready to buy a house, I will be able to get a decent approval for a mortgage.  (Also, I have always been afraid of being denied for a car loan due to my previously terrible/limited credit. Someday I may want to buy a new car and finance a portion of that. For the last 15 years I have just paid cash for used cars and made them last as long as they could. I am on year 5 of my old Jeep right now and it still runs great).

Message 36 of 37
Adv

Hi i had a similar situation last year, and I did the 0% financing with the hospital. My hospital doesn't offer pay in full discount because I have insurance. Also, pay agreements with the hospital won't appear on your credit report or at least mine didn't. How big is 25%? If it's a few hundred might just consider the pay agreement but if you save a few thousand then that's a different story.
Message 37 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.