cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I must resist! Tempted to try for Capital One Rewards....

tag
PleioneG
Regular Contributor

I must resist! Tempted to try for Capital One Rewards....

Suddenly have itchy app fingers for Capital One Rewards card with the AF. We already have the Amazon and Walmart store cards, but a second revolving credit card is sounding ideal at the moment. I'm telling myself to wait a year and try for something else. I was just hoping to somehow have at least one more $500 revolving account to bump up our overall spending accounts.

My fear is that they'll decline us even though it's a fairly easy card to get and we already have one account with them in great standing ( always PIF ). What should I do? Should we just wait for 1-2 years like I said or is it worth a shot without being instantly denied even with recon? Will they decline us because of the new accounts? (Amazon, Walmart, auto loan). That's my fear. Getting that hard hit for nothing.

BK7 Discharge: 2/18.
Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Re: No. I must resist apping! Temptation.

Do not app for crap1!

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 2 of 37
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Who do you bank with?

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 3 of 37
PleioneG
Regular Contributor

I agree C1 is stingy with credit limits, but we're pretty comfortable with low limit cards. (:  They can be crap but we're satisfied with them so far with the one card we do have.

We bank with Wells Fargo and PNC.

Message 4 of 37
Dustink
Valued Contributor

How old are you? A range is fine, sorry to be personal. Under 30, over 30?

Message 5 of 37
Mike360
Frequent Contributor

Just stay away from CapOne. There's gotta be better options out there for you.

Message 6 of 37
PleioneG
Regular Contributor

Does my age have anything to do with credit cards? My husband is 29. I'll be 30 in another month.

Message 7 of 37
Dustink
Valued Contributor

Maybe wells fargo or pnc could offer you one of their cards with a low limit. I would call them and ask. They both seem to offer very similar cards. You have a choice of points or cash back. If they offer limits as low as $500, you might be able to get approved.

Message 8 of 37
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@PleioneG wrote:

Does my age have anything to do with credit cards? My husband is and I are both in our late 20's. I'll be 30 in another month.

Because sometimes college cards are more like young adult cards. So the bank doesn't really care if you are in college, they just want you to be the right age range. They can sometimes be easier to get approved for. https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit_cards/student/cashback/

Wells fargo might be a little more strict on this, but US Bank didn't seem to care when they gave me a college card.

Message 9 of 37
PleioneG
Regular Contributor

I thought about that but I was under the impression that banks -- such as Wells Fargo or PNC -- might require a much higher credit score. We're not exactly stellar but sit in the fair range of things. I know another option might be to try for a credit union but I don't know where to begin with that. And no, I can't do NFCU since the only relatives in the military service are my cousins and the rest are retired.

Message 10 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.