cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I must resist! Tempted to try for Capital One Rewards....

tag
PleioneG
Regular Contributor

Re: No. I must resist apping! Temptation.

@distantarray wrote:

@PleioneG wrote:

@distantarray wrote:

@PleioneG wrote:

As much as I'd love to join them, I don't want to do anything that will potentially get me in trouble. 

I really, really, really would love to be part of the NFCU family... Oh well.

one thing people have done was join the army reserves and get out of it before basic training =x sign up right after they got papers, no one seemed to get in trouble =x

Haha. Really? Just to sign up? I guess it must be that good!

I wonder if I qualify for the reserves. (;

lol depends on your job army reserve is worth it just for TRICARE health insurance alone, 1 weekend a month is little price to pay for their insurance... plus 2 week basic training. I'm really thinking about it. Since my friend's daughter got bit by a rattle snake and had to be rushed to a hospital hour away, and 2 hours she would've been dead..... and gave her the anti venom, and next thing you know she got a $27,000 hospital bill.... and Tricare took care of it for $17 LOL

It's definitely something I've considered in the past and now have more reason to try for it now. Great healthcare, fantastic credit options, and only for a weekend a month. Probably something right up my alley to do.

BK7 Discharge: 2/18.
Message 21 of 37
distantarray
Established Contributor

@PleioneG wrote:

@distantarray wrote:

@PleioneG wrote:

@distantarray wrote:

@PleioneG wrote:

As much as I'd love to join them, I don't want to do anything that will potentially get me in trouble. 

I really, really, really would love to be part of the NFCU family... Oh well.

one thing people have done was join the army reserves and get out of it before basic training =x sign up right after they got papers, no one seemed to get in trouble =x

Haha. Really? Just to sign up? I guess it must be that good!

I wonder if I qualify for the reserves. (;

lol depends on your job army reserve is worth it just for TRICARE health insurance alone, 1 weekend a month is little price to pay for their insurance... plus 2 week basic training. I'm really thinking about it. Since my friend's daughter got bit by a rattle snake and had to be rushed to a hospital hour away, and 2 hours she would've been dead..... and gave her the anti venom, and next thing you know she got a $27,000 hospital bill.... and Tricare took care of it for $17 LOL

It's definitely something I've considered in the past and now have more reason to try for it now. Great healthcare, fantastic credit options, and only for a weekend a month. Probably something right up my alley to do.

Don't forget full USAA members get 16% off on cars like Honda Accord.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 22 of 37
PleioneG
Regular Contributor

Serving the country gets all the benefits. Envious.

On a side note, I should tell my family currently in the service about this. That is if they don't go gung-ho crazy and rack up expenses.

I may just stick with what I have and hold out until 2014. GE seems to be pretty good about giving out increases and C1 is good for reservations and small dining purchases. We really don't need anything else until we consider purchasing a house ( and that might not be for years since... I have no desire to do so at the moment ).

I've recently went ahead and used up at least 90% of the limit on Amazon to take advantage of their 24 month financing. This will of course be paid off by January or late December since we have absolutely no desire to let a balance hang on the account for two years. We're hoping that by doing this it MAY give us a nice little increase when we meet our 6-month period. A perfect way to show we're responsible. I did this with Capital One and sadly it didn't budge. It's only went up once with a CLI and that it. I'm in the process of speaking to the executives  now but I don't foresee that going anywhere. We'll see.

I just hope my plan with Amazon pays off!

Message 23 of 37
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

Good luck

Message 24 of 37
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Re: I must resist! Tempted to try for Capital One Rewards....

@PleioneG wrote:

Suddenly have itchy app fingers for Capital One Rewards card with the AF. We already have the Amazon and Walmart store cards, but a second revolving credit card is sounding ideal at the moment. I'm telling myself to wait a year and try for something else. I was just hoping to somehow have at least one more $500 revolving account to bump up our overall spending accounts.

My fear is that they'll decline us even though it's a fairly easy card to get and we already have one account with them in great standing ( always PIF ). What should I do? Should we just wait for 1-2 years like I said or is it worth a shot without being instantly denied even with recon? Will they decline us because of the new accounts? (Amazon, Walmart, auto loan). That's my fear. Getting that hard hit for nothing.

I want to go back to your original post and give some advice from my perspective.  I think the other posters have different opinions on what it takes to build credit, and I hope their journey takes them to where they need to be.  But for you, even if you were to join the reserves and get into NFCU (kind of an absurd thing to do to join a CU...) I don't know if it would be in your best interest to add another card right now.

Let's put it this way.  You have 3 credit cards, two of which are very new, and an auto loan reporting to the credit bureaus.  By keeping these in good standing you are likely improving your FICO score each and every month.  From a score perspective, I would say hold off as long as you can on other apps in order to let these accounts age and the inquiries fall off.  Depending on the number of baddies on your past accounts, I can see your scores rising very rapidly, thus setting you up for better cards in the future.  Of course, there are possibly things on your reports you have not talked about here that may prevent scores from moving up.  If that is the case, I reserve the right to change my advice Smiley Tongue

Now, I am a strong believer in putting financial needs before credit.  So, if you were to need additional credit due to an unforeseen circumstance, I think Capital One is a fine place to try for new credit.  You are already in good standing with them, and they have shown an ability to work with many different customer profiles as evidenced by the amount of people who build/rebuild with their cards.

I wish you luck in growing your scores.  I think you have done a lot to help by adding some tradelines recently, and as long as you keep them in good standing you should see results.  

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 25 of 37
PleioneG
Regular Contributor

You're absolutely right and I appreciate the honesty. There is no real need for a new card other than raising our overall limit from 1800 to possible 2000 or more instead. But with proper gardening and time, I'm sure it will get there just through credit limit increases with the two store cards. I've heard great things about Amazon and Walmart.

I'll stick with my plan to not app anything until 2014. Smiley Happy It's when one particular paid off baddie falls off and will definitely kick the credit score up a great deal.

Message 26 of 37
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@SnackTrader wrote:

I want to go back to your original post and give some advice from my perspective.  I think the other posters have different opinions on what it takes to build credit, and I hope their journey takes them to where they need to be.  But for you, even if you were to join the reserves and get into NFCU (kind of an absurd thing to do to join a CU...) I don't know if it would be in your best interest to add another card right now.

Let's put it this way.  You have 3 credit cards, two of which are very new, and an auto loan reporting to the credit bureaus.  By keeping these in good standing you are likely improving your FICO score each and every month.  From a score perspective, I would say hold off as long as you can on other apps in order to let these accounts age and the inquiries fall off.  Depending on the number of baddies on your past accounts, I can see your scores rising very rapidly, thus setting you up for better cards in the future.  Of course, there are possibly things on your reports you have not talked about here that may prevent scores from moving up.  If that is the case, I reserve the right to change my advice Smiley Tongue

Now, I am a strong believer in putting financial needs before credit.  So, if you were to need additional credit due to an unforeseen circumstance, I think Capital One is a fine place to try for new credit.  You are already in good standing with them, and they have shown an ability to work with many different customer profiles as evidenced by the amount of people who build/rebuild with their cards.

I wish you luck in growing your scores.  I think you have done a lot to help by adding some tradelines recently, and as long as you keep them in good standing you should see results.  

I think adding another account with PNC would be great if they are willing to accept her. Then when her credit improves they will be able to offer a large increase. Something Crap1 will not be doing without a massive amount of legwork. INQs don't have much of an impact for long, so they shouldn't be a huge concern. I think establishing a relationship with your bank should take high precedence.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 27 of 37
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@PleioneG wrote:

You're absolutely right and I appreciate the honesty. There is no real need for a new card other than raising our overall limit from 1800 to possible 2000 or more instead. But with proper gardening and time, I'm sure it will get there just through credit limit increases with the two store cards. I've heard great things about Amazon and Walmart.

I'll stick with my plan to not app anything until 2014. Smiley Happy It's when one particular paid off baddie falls off and will definitely kick the credit score up a great deal.

If you are planning to wait until 2014, what is the problem with adding another INQ now? By the time you go to get more credit the INQ will have fallin off already anyways.

And imagine if PNC were to give you a card now. It will grow until 2014, and when the baddie falls off you will get an even larger CLI.

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 28 of 37
Dustink
Valued Contributor

I banked with NFCU when I was a kid. The lines were always really long in the branches, and their are very few branches around. I switched to US Bank when I was a teenager and they have been much better. More branches, no lines, and just all around better service. To me there is nothing special about NFCU. You may be able to get a higher limit credit card, but the rewards aren't as great.

Message 29 of 37
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@PleioneG wrote:

Also, the more accounts you establish now. The stronger your AAoA. As in, when you app for more credit in 2014 your AAoA will drop less.

Message 30 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.