Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need a good secured card

tag
Breakthecycle2
Established Contributor

I need a good secured card

One that will grow over time. I know Bank of America is good, but I have a feeling I will get denied. Any other suggestions?

Starting Score: 454
Current Score: 690
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
MsKiwi
Established Contributor

Re: I need a good secured card

@Breakthecycle2 wrote:
One that will grow over time. I know Bank of America is good, but I have a feeling I will get denied. Any other suggestions?

I've heard that citi and wells fargo have a fairly decent secured card. I'm thinking of going with Wells Fargo as opposed to BOA since they no longer do online apps for secured and the fact they are changing my free checking and savings to a monthly fee starting June 1st. (just got this notice with my statement the other day)
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I suggest going with a Credit Union.
Message 3 of 11
Brusilov
Established Contributor

They did actually bring back the online applications for BofA Secured, though for some reason it was down for a while.  Wells Fargo is also a pain for fees too unless you have one of their checking/savings packages (the exception being their Free Checking account, but it doesn't include BillPay or free checks past the first package).  Anyway, I have the WF secured and do like it a lot, and it even went partially unsecured after 6 months of good payment history.

EDIT: Typo

Message Edited by vonMannstein on 05-06-2009 08:19 AM
Message Edited by vonMannstein on 05-06-2009 08:19 AM
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Which Credit Unions have secured cards? 
Message 5 of 11
Brusilov
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Which Credit Unions have secured cards? 

I am by no means an expert on CU's but from what I understand most CU's do not explicitly advertise their secured credit card offers, but it's something you can ask about and they'll work with you.  Generally I think they ask that you deposit X amount of dollars in an interest-bearing savings account as collateral.  It may also be a good idea to start a checking or savings account ahead of time and deposit money regularly to develop a relationship beforehand.
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

cu is the best option if they report I've taken a installments loan secured my saving and they don't report TU verify

Message 7 of 11
TheRealT
Valued Member

I hate to sound like a broken record, but a few months back I took txjohn’s advice (from another thread) and located a good local credit union.  They have a secured VISA program, credit builder loans, free checking/savings, free online bill-pay, and the list goes on and on.

I love these guys.  I even got a nifty coffee mug and they have free popcorn!  Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 11
cobra19
Valued Contributor

Why?

New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 9 of 11
moondog7324
Frequent Contributor

Why not?
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.