Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update Approved: I need advice for DH who has no credit cards but good credit

tag
shoegal
Valued Contributor

Update Approved: I need advice for DH who has no credit cards but good credit

My husband hates credit cards but he's finally coming around to the idea of getting 1-3 cards to improve his score since he wants to get a new car this year. Both me and our mutual friends talked about the benefits so he's thinking about applying. He's not a rebuilder so he has good credit no negatives or lates. He just doesn't like credit and likes paying for things with cash. His scores were 777 on all bureaus but he paid off his student loans and has no credit cards/loans so his scores dropped to 680-705 range.

Because he hates credit I think a simple cash back card is good for him and I'll add him as an AU on my BCE and probably the Amex Plat too. I was thinking that he should apply for the Uber card but since his scores dropped I don't think that's a possibility.

He banks with BOA and he's a preferred customer, and also was getting pre-approvals from them so that might be a possibility. Otherwise, I don't know what to suggest. I would like for him to have cards that I don't have.

His spending is dining/bars, games, online shopping (especially Amazon and he had the store card, but closed it), groceries, department stores clothing and the normal bills.

Data Points:
Scores: Ex 705 / 687 EQ / 692 TU
0 inquiries / 0% utilization / 0 missed payments
$0 total credit
Negatives: None
AAOA: 10 years and 11 months

He has preapprovals with a set APR only from Discover for IT and Chrome (24.24% APR) / U.S. Bank for Cash + and U.S. Bank Cash 365 Amex (16.24% APR) / Amex for ED and BCE (18% APR) and PRG. Chase, Citi and Cap 1 can't find his file to give a preapproval.

Sorry for the novel! I would love some suggestions and ideas. Smiley Happy

UPDATE: Hubby pulled the trigger on Discover it and was approved for $3,800. He joined NFCU like he wanted with me sponsoring and got approved for the cashRewards for $1,000 (16% APR). For the last card, he chose Amex BCP and got a $5,000 approval (18% APR).

Thanks guys! We both appreciated your help!

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I need advice for DH who has not credit cards but good credit

@shoegalwrote:

My husband hates credit cards but he's finally coming around to the idea of getting 1-3 cards to improve his score since he wants to get a new car this year. Both me and our mutual friends talked about the benefits so he's thinking about applying. He's not a rebuilder so he has good credit no negatives or lates. He just doesn't like credit and likes paying for things with cash. His scores were 777 on all bureaus but he paid off his student loans and has no credit cards/loans so his scores dropped to 680-705 range.

Because he hates credit I think a simple cash back card is good for him and I'll add him as an AU on my BCE and probably the Amex Plat too. I was thinking that he should apply for the Uber card but since his scores dropped I don't think that's a possibility.

He banks with BOA and he's a preferred customer, and also was getting pre-approvals from them so that might be a possibility. Otherwise, I don't know what to suggest. I would like for him to have cards that I don't have.

His spending is dining/bars, games, online shopping (especially Amazon and he had the store card but closed it), groceries, department stores clothing and the normal bills.

Data Points:

Scores: Ex 705 / 687 EQ / 692 TU 

0 inquiries / 0% utilization / 0 missed payments

$0 total credit

Negatives: None

AAOA: 10 years and 11 months

He has preapprovals with a set APR only from Discover for IT and Chrome (24.24% APR) / U.S. Bank for Cash + and U.S. Bank Cash 365 Amex (16.24% APR) / Amex for ED and BCE (18% APR) and PRG. Chase, Citi and Cap 1 can't find his file to give a preapproval.

Sorry for the novel! I would love some suggestions and ideas. Smiley Happy

Amazon Prime Visa. His scores are good enough for it and 3% to 5% (if an Amazon Prime member) is easy money. Otherwise maybe citi DC. Set all his bills on auto pay on it. Earn easy 2% cashback. It’s easy to just pay off credit card once a month instead of internet, cable, phone, and electric all separate. Just pay them all with the credit card and PIF every month. Two easy ideas for him.

Message 2 of 20
shoegal
Valued Contributor

Thank you both for your suggestions! Both cards are contenders. ☺️

Message 3 of 20
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

I have to wonder if the DH's lack of card history might lessen his chances with Chase despite the fact that he has a long history otherwise.

I like the idea of Discover. And I think that Bank of America is a good idea as long as there's a product he likes.

Definitely add him as an AU. If you use the BCE, watch both of your scores. You may want to work together to make sure that card reports a zero balance. Or you might find that there's no need to do that. Keep in mind that AMEX AU's will show up as new accounts on his reports. If showing some age is a priority, you might want to choose a card from a different bank.

Message 4 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

If he doesn't like credit cards, he doesn't have to use them for most purchases. I'd get 1-3 cards and have a small, recurring purchase go on them. One of the utilities stated above, Netflix, or something else in vein. Have it automatically paid off every month, and then he can go back to paying for things in cash while his cards age and his scores improve.

Message 5 of 20
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Hi ShoegalSmiley Happy

Looks like he'll have a nice profile as he gets a few credit cards. Since he doesnt want alot, you could always build up to a Chase if he desires.

I agree Discover would be choice one as they like to be your one and only and he may get suprised at a nice sl. Double cash back for you guys would be great 1st year. Also agree with Heaven, that Boa is good option. They can be generous with those who have good incomes and they are really good to have a card that offers bt in case you need it. They no longer offer the BBR but the BankAmericard seems like a nice fit with a 0% bt transfer fee . Of course there are other cards from Boa he may like.

Im gonna go left field for the 3rd card. Citi Dc would be nice but not sure theyd give right away not seeing any credit cards. Why not sign him up for Navy and get a cc from Navy?. Lol, we know you now know Navy is a great CU that can help him as well as yourself.

Ok, those are my picks to start. Discover, Boa , and NavySmiley Happy Best of luck to DH, ShoeGalSmiley Happy
Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I started with BOA Cash Rewards last year and waited for 6 months to then be approved for CSP & Discover simultaneously with a EX 689. Now have the 3 cards but only use the CSP until I hit my spending requirements for the bonus. After that it'll be disco for the 5% bonus cats, CSP for dining and travel and BOA for everything else as i'm also a prefered client.This is working very well for me.

One gentle suggestion I would have is to discuss that credit hate. Although I undertsand the sentiment and think there's a certain healthy attitude to wanting to only pay with what you've earned versus borrowing through credit. That being said, if he IS going to use credit and enter the system, he should do it with a willing heart and an attentive mind. It does take care and attention to keep a clean sheet.

Best of luck!

Message 7 of 20
shoegal
Valued Contributor

@HeavenOhiowrote:

I have to wonder if the DH's lack of card history might lessen his chances with Chase despite the fact that he has a long history otherwise.

I like the idea of Discover. And I think that Bank of America is a good idea as long as there's a product he likes.

Definitely add him as an AU. If you use the BCE, watch both of your scores. You may want to work together to make sure that card reports a zero balance. Or you might find that there's no need to do that. Keep in mind that AMEX AU's will show up as new accounts on his reports. If showing some age is a priority, you might want to choose a card from a different bank.

I completely agree. When I tried to get the Chase Amazon (my score was 671), I got denied for not enough history. Which made sense since my AAOA is over 7 years but revolving history at the time was barely 6 months. He might get denied for the same reason.

Thanks for your suggestions! I’ll let him know all of that. He likes the BOA cash rewards so that might be a good option. The BCE is a PIF card for me since I only use it for groceries/department stores but he can take advantage of the 2% gas since he has a car but BOA is 3% on gas so that might be a better option.

Message 8 of 20
shoegal
Valued Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

If he doesn't like credit cards, he doesn't have to use them for most purchases. I'd get 1-3 cards and have a small, recurring purchase go on them. One of the utilities stated above, Netflix, or something else in vein. Have it automatically paid off every month, and then he can go back to paying for things in cash while his cards age and his scores improve.

Great idea! I have all of them on my cards but he can definitely add his game subscriptions, Netflix and HBO which he pays with his debit card. Thanks!

Message 9 of 20
shoegal
Valued Contributor

@AverageJoesCreditwrote:
Hi ShoegalSmiley Happy

Looks like he'll have a nice profile as he gets a few credit cards. Since he doesnt want alot, you could always build up to a Chase if he desires.

I agree Discover would be choice one as they like to be your one and only and he may get suprised at a nice dl. Double cash back for you guys would be great 1st year. Also agree with Heaven, that Boa is goid option. They can be generous with those who have good incomes and they are really good to have a card that offers bt in case you need it. They no longer offer the BBR but the BankAmericard seems like a nice fit with a 0% bt transfer fee . Of course there are other xards from Boa he may like.

Im gonna go left field for the 3rd card. Citi Dc would be nice but not sure theyd give right away not seeing any credit cards. Why not sign him up for Navy and get a cc from Navy?. Lol, we know abd you now know Navy is a great CU that can help him as well as yourself.

Ok, those are my picks to start. Discover, Boa , and NavySmiley Happy Best of luck to DH, ShoeGalSmiley Happy

Thanks AJC! I agree to wait for Chase and Citi. I didn’t thought about NFCU. This is why I love this forum! He asked me to add him to NFCU since he wants a second bank account so that could be perfect for his third card. I really like your suggested picks! Those 3 banks seem perfect for his spending and thin file.

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.