Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need credit asap.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I need credit asap.

I applied for a credit card to start building my credit but I was turned down for reasons they stated. I want to build my credit again, I have no credit cards at all. what should I do..I need credit. 

Thank you.

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I need credit asap.

What card did you apply for? 

Message 2 of 22
birjest
Frequent Contributor

Take a deep breath and take your time.....do not rush into the "credit world" if you are not prepare for it.  First, are you a student in college; second if not, try applying for a secure credit card like USAA, NFCU, PENFED, and others.  Thirdly, how is your credit looking.....

5/30/15 EQ 596; TU 605; EX 580.
12/18/17 EQ 646; TU 660; EX 674.
7/30/23 EQ 708; TU 703; EX 721.
Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applied for Kohls and for Wellfargo in the same month.

Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not a student. I don't know how my credit is..but if I was denied by a retail store maybe it isn't good.

Message 5 of 22
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

I can't speak for Kohl's, but WF is VERY hard to get and NOT a starter card.

We need some more info to advise you...

Are you just building credit at a young age, or are you rebuilding?

Do you have anything on your CR? (Student loans? auto loan? anything at all?)

Do you have any baddies on your CR? (late payments, collections, etc.)

Have you pulled your CR? Since you were denied credit, you can get it free. You can also get one CR free a year from www.annualcreditreport.com.

If you're just starting out and have nothing (good or bad) on your CR, then you probably don't need to pull it. Otherwise, you definitely should. You need to see what is one each of your CRs, because they're not always the same. (Experian, Equifax and Transunion)

If you give us more info, we'll be able to give you some suggestions.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 6 of 22
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and welcome to the forums.

You stated that you want to build your credit again. So, I assume from this that you are rebuilding your credit. If so, what does your credit past look like? Do you have a history of closed accounts in good standing, or do you have some that show late payments, charge-offs or collections? Have you pulled a credit report recently? Do you know your FICO scores?

Please know, these questions carry no judgements whatsoever; just trying to get an idea of where your credit stands currently so that we can help to give you and idea of what cards you might be able to be approved for.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 7 of 22
birjest
Frequent Contributor

Ok, then purchase your report here on the site.  All of your questions such as why you are being denied will be answer...

5/30/15 EQ 596; TU 605; EX 580.
12/18/17 EQ 646; TU 660; EX 674.
7/30/23 EQ 708; TU 703; EX 721.
Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do have late payments...but if I want to rebuild my Credit..they should give me a Change to do so even if it's a small amount to start with, maybe.

Message 9 of 22
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I do have late payments...but if I want to rebuild my Credit..they should give me a Change to do so even if it's a small amount to start with, maybe.

I understand the catch-22... in order to be extended credit, you have to have good credit; but, to have good credit, you have to have been extended credit.

This is where rebuilder cards come in. These are accounts that are designed for people who are either new to credit or have had problems in the past. They have easier approval criteria than the prime issuers, such as Wells Fargo, Citi, Chase, BoA, Amex, Discover, etc.

Once again, if you can give us a detailed breakdown of your credit reports, we can make specific recommendations.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.