Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need help closing Imagine & Best Buy.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I need help closing Imagine & Best Buy.

First off, I have read the closing cards thread and have tried the search. No one has addressed execatly how to do the following...closing an Imagine Card and closing A Best Buy Rewards Zone Mastercard.

The first is issued by the Bank of Delaware...the later, HSBC. Both cards have ridiculous limits/fees/APR's/youname it.

I have a a feeling they are going to be difficult to close. I have heard horror stories of how people have closed other credit cards before ...or thought they have closed them....then come to find out they are not really closed.

The balances on both cards are under $5. I have read that after cancelling that you need to maintain a ZERO balance for 30 days after the cancellation. this is where the problem (one of them) surfaces....Both cards cut under 30 day periods...so how do I do this? Also, after I cancel them, will I no longer have access to the websites? How do I check to see if there have been any added fees? I sure as heck am not going to wait and find that out by seeing a LATE on a CR.

Thanks
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I need help closing Imagine & Best Buy.

Closing a card is very simple.. All you have to do is call the number on the back of the card and be sure that there is no balance due. And just say I want to close this account they may offer you things to keep it open but you can just say no thank you..
Message 2 of 5
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:
Closing a card is very simple.. All you have to do is call the number on the back of the card and be sure that there is no balance due. And just say I want to close this account they may offer you things to keep it open but you can just say no thank you..

As long as you don't have a monthly fee, you should be able to close it out OK.

Be sure to print off a statement AND a current balance screen showing a $0 balance, so they can't try to pop something back on there.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 5
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

But if you have a balance at any point in the month, finance charges will be assessed when the statement cuts.  So make sure you remember that.  Maybe you should pay the account in full before the next statement cuts, then wait for the finance charges to show up and pay them, then cancel.

You say keeping a zero balance for 30 days is a problem? Why?  Are there monthly fees?  If you are assessed any fees they should still send you a statement next month reflecting that, so make sure you have the correct address listed and read your mail from them.  Ignoring mail has brought some members trouble in the past Smiley Very Happy

If you do get a statement showing you owe money, call them and raise hell.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, that's the thing, the Imagine Card has a monthly fee and the Best Buy card (I hear) charges you a fee on a zero balances. I heard of someone actually overpaying to avoid this. Did anyone else hear this/read this?
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.