cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need one more card

tag
zeymbuz

I need one more card

I currently have 3 with wf 4000, amex clear 3000 and barclay with 1200. I want to get a card thats good with the gas and groceries. Any idea? fico 680

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Re: I need one more card

Chase Freedom, Amex BCE/BCP (depending on how much you want to spend but BCE is probably easier to get with your score) and Discover It.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 11
Bobert22
Contributor

Chase Freedom currently has quarterly rotating categories and Jan 2013 - March 2013 is 5% on Gasoline and Starbucks!

Capital One 2006--$5,000 ||| AMEX Macy's 2008--$2,300 ||| Kohl's 2009-- $1,000 ||| JCP 2010-- $1,000 ||| Walmart Discover 2010-- $5,000 ||| Sears 2011 -- $3,600 ||| Sears 2011 -- $3,500 ||| Chase Freedom 2012--$7,500 ||| Discover IT 2013 -- $4,000
||| Chase Sapphire Preferred 2013 -- $10,000

SCORES: EQ FICO: 787, EX FAKO: 801, TU FICO: 790 (Lender Pull)
Message 3 of 11
_jb_
Frequent Contributor

For Gas and groceries, your best bets are the AmEx BCP or the Chase Freedom. If you spend about $100 a month in groceries or $200 a month in gas, you will make up the $75 annual fee on the AmEx. The Freedom has rotating categories, with 5% on gas for both 1st and 3rd quarter this year.

I plan to pick up both, and use the BCP for groceries every month, and gas 2nd/4th quarters, and the Freedom for 3rd quarter this year.

Starting Scores: myFICO EQ: 678, myFICO TU: 676, myFICO EX: 678 (01/2013)
Latest Scores: myFICO EQ: 789, myFICO TU: 782, myFICO EX: 788
My Wallet: American Express BCE, NFCU cashRewards, Capital One Quicksilver, Discover It, Chase Freedom, Chase Amazon Rewards
Gardening since 02/07/17
Message 4 of 11
iloverewards
Valued Member

Amex blue cash preferred gives you 6% cash back on groceries (up to 6K a year) and 3% cash back for gas with a $75 annual fee.  you may also want to consider the blue cash everyday if you don't want to pay an annual fee but your grocery rewards earnings will be halved. since you already have clear, you might also want to see if you can PC to one of these cards so you won't have to use a credit pull

For straight gas, penfed premium gives 5% cash back on gas. i don't think there's an annual fee but you should double check that if it's an issue.

I wouldn't rec the chase freedom b/c you only get 5% on certain categories one quarter a year and these cards will give you 5-6% cash back on gas and groceries year round.

Chase Sapphire Preferred | Freedom | IHG Rewards Club
Citi Dividend | Simplicity | AAdvantage
Discover It
Capital One Quicksilver
Amex Blue Cash
Barclay Arrival | NFL Extra Points
Bank of America Better Balance Rewards
US Bank Platinum Visa
Message 5 of 11
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

@_jb_ wrote:

For Gas and groceries, your best bets are the AmEx BCP or the Chase Freedom. If you spend about $100 a month in groceries or $200 a month in gas, you will make up the $75 annual fee on the AmEx. The Freedom has rotating categories, with 5% on gas for both 1st and 3rd quarter this year.

I plan to pick up both, and use the BCP for groceries every month, and gas 2nd/4th quarters, and the Freedom for 3rd quarter this year.

Calculation is actually $210 a month on groceries To make the BCP worth the AF. 

Or - $175 per month on groceries if you also spend $100 per month on gas. 

This is assuming your grocery spending is occurring at eligible markets (Not Walmart or Target). 

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 6 of 11
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

The best choices for gas and groceries are the Penfed Platinum rewards and the Amex BCE/BCP.  The other cards mentioned only have rotating categories. 

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 7 of 11
nishant1
New Contributor

A better option would be to use 5% gas cash back and leverage with additional 25% to a rate 6.25% using Sapphire Preferred on ultimate rewards site.

This can be used for 6 months when Freedom has 5% gas category for 2 quarters.

For remaining 6 months, PenFed is the way to go with 5% cash back but only at pump. If you pay inside, you get only 0.25% instead of 5%.

For groceries, if the spending is low then use Sallie Mae world credit card gives 5% & no annual fee.

If grocery spending is medium, use Blue Cash Everyday- No annual fee gives 3% cash back

If grocery spending is high, use Blue Cash Preferred- Annual fee but get 6% cash back

Message 8 of 11
LS2982
Mega Contributor

I think AMEX revolvers may be out of your reach at this point. I would go for the Chase Freedom.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 11
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@LS2982 wrote:
I think AMEX revolvers may be out of your reach at this point. I would go for the Chase Freedom.

Nah, already has an Amex clear for that matter Smiley Wink.

I'd take the BCP (or BCE) shot anyway given Amex's policies for current account holders, also personally I'm of the opinion static reward options trend better than revolving ones but other's opinions will vary on that one.

        
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.