Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need replacement cards

tag
motiv8ed2getthescoreup
Regular Contributor

I need replacement cards

Next year my last baddie is scheduled to fall off, and I would like to apply for a couple of cards to replace my two orchard cards which both have af's. Does anyone have any suggestions for cards that they really like? I generally use the cards for gas, bills and everyday purchases. It's very rare that I carry a balance, so interest rates aren't too important, but since I get cash back on my orchard visa I would like another card that has it.

Starting Score: 500
Current Score: TU 764 EQ 721 EX 768
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
larinoriani
Regular Contributor

Re: I need replacement cards

I'm very happy with my new Blue Cash, get upt 5% on gas and groceries on tier two which is really achievable. Besides, they have the coolest website I ever seen on any card.

Starting Score: EQ 737--TU 742
Nov/2010: EQ 737--TU 742
Nov/2011: TU 753
Goal Score: EQ 800--TU 800

Message 2 of 12
motiv8ed2getthescoreup
Regular Contributor

I was just approved for a zync in march, do you think they will give me another card already?

Message 3 of 12
larinoriani
Regular Contributor

Mmm, being my first experience with AMEX, I'm not sure of their practices. But I would say, if you have more than six months good history with them, probabilities are high.

But let's wait if someone more AMEX-savy, chimes in....

Starting Score: EQ 737--TU 742
Nov/2010: EQ 737--TU 742
Nov/2011: TU 753
Goal Score: EQ 800--TU 800

Message 4 of 12
motiv8ed2getthescoreup
Regular Contributor

Ok, thanks for your response!

Message 5 of 12
Gh0st
Contributor

Discover more is a nice cash back card. It can have 1% cash back once you reach go pass $3000 I believe. It also has 5% on quarterly rotating categories such as department stores, movies, resturants. The thing is though, you get 5% only up to $300. Sometimes they double it though. I guess it depends on your spending habits.  I'm currently a student and have no need to spend $300 in a department store or in restaurants in the course of 3 months.  They have a nice online mall where you can get 1-20% more points from some popular merchants such as best buy.  They have some great trade in values, especially for gift cards. 

Chase freedom is pretty much the same thing as the Discover More except that you can get 1% across the board without spending a certain amounts. They also have a bonus point mall and it is a lot bigger than Discover More. Some merchants still give you more if you go through with Discover.

Citi also has a popular rewards card. Citi forward offers 5x points on a variety of things and 3x points for some. Can't remember off the top of my head. They don't usually give you point by point value like Discover and chase which is why I don't use the card as much. Citi is very generous with their credit limits though. They gave me a $4000 cl when i was a 6 month file ( a year ago). Amazon also falls under the 5x point category and I shop their a lot.

Penfed seems to be a great credit union around these parts. Many people here praise them. They have a nice rewards card with 5% for gas, 2% for supermarket purchases  and 1% for everything else.  Also NFCU seems to be very liberal ( generous) when it comes to credit limits. So look into them if you want some high cl. 

Whatever  card you end up wanting, just search here for them through the search tool and read what people say . Good luck Smiley Happy

.Believe.
Message 6 of 12
motiv8ed2getthescoreup
Regular Contributor

Hey Gh0st,

Thanks for the break down. I am also a student, so I have no need to spend that much in the dept store either. Citi looks very attractive thoughSmiley Very Happy!!!

Message 7 of 12
Gh0st
Contributor

Just be aware of their point conversion. Its not exactly point for point.  for 5000 points, chase and discover will give you a $50 check/statement credit. They will often give you a +$50 gift card. Citi often gives you point per point when you want certain $100 gift cards. And those stores aren't as popular as those offered by chase and discover.

Examples for their thankyou rewards program

7200 points for a $50 statement credit. 

145000 points for a $100 statement credit

8000 points for a $50 check.

6000 points for a $50 macys gift card. 

10000 points for a $100 macys gift card.

Citi is very generous though, still love them regardless of their subpar reward system. They recently gave me +1200 cli on a $4000 card.

I guess one could argue that the amount of points they give you will compensate for the higher than normal conversions. But they recently change their rewards. It use to be point for point.  

.Believe.
Message 8 of 12
andre181
Established Contributor

gh0st is right that their amount of points needed to redeem rewards are a little high, but on the Forward card you can earn those points so fast that it really doesn't matter.

5 points per dollar spent on restaurants, movies (including Netflix), music (including iTunes!), and books (including anything from Amazon!!!), and 1 point on everything else.

And every 3 months of using your card, paying at least the min. payment, and paying on time, the lower  you APR by .25%

Citi Forward is a great card!

Discover IT $35K | FNBO Visa $30K | Cash+ Visa Sig $19.5K | Southwest Premier $16K | Priceline $15K | Citi Forward $14.3K | US Bank Plat $14K | Commerce Bank $13K | CSP $13K | CSR $10K | Sallie Mae World MC $10K | Lowe’s Consumer 10K | BoA Cash Rewards 1-2-3 Sig $7.5K | Fidelity Visa $7K | Citi Double Cash $6.5K | WF Cash Back Visa $5.4K | Capital One Cash Rewards $5K | AMEX BCE $3.9K | Freedom $2.5K | Younkers/Comenity $2.4K | Kohl’s 1.5K | Target $1.4K | EX FICO (from AMEX): 768, TU FICO (from Discover): 797, AAoA: 4.4 years
Message 9 of 12
motiv8ed2getthescoreup
Regular Contributor

Re: I need replacement cards,

Soooooo, I get home and I have two pre-approval letters from citi for the diamond preferred rewards, and the platinum selct. Are these good cards, should I go for the forward instead, would I be able to get any of these cards with my scores?

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.