Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need some help!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I need some help!

I need some help understanding what my next steps should be.

I currently have the following on my credit report:

1 BOA Card - Opened Oct 2007 - $4000 CL - Balance 0 (No AF)

1 BOA Card (Same as above) Lost/ Stolen This card # was replaced by above in 2008 sometime. Still reporting.

1 Wamu/Chase Card - Opened Oct 2007 - $1000 CL - Balance 0 (No AF)

1 Capital One Card - Opened May 2008 - $750 CL Balance 0 (No AF)

1 Kay Jewellers Card- Opened December 2007 - $1400 CL - Balance 0 (No AF)

1 Macy's Card - Opened Jan 2007 - CL $100 - Balance 0 (Not used since June 2008) - Should I request a CLI?

1 Amex Card - Opened October 2007 - $1000 CL - Balance $850.00 (I use this the most... well my brother does - he is an AU on it and he makes timely payments, but its always close to being maxed out month over month)

1 Signature loan from my CU $1400 - Loan applied 04/02/09 - Payment due 05/01/09. I expect to PIF within 6-7 months. I got the loan to build some history with them.

1 Auto Loan from Capital One - $26400 at 18.99%APR (Dont ask! I was waay too young into credit building/repair) Opened Dec 2007 - Balance due $22500.

My Scores: TU 660 As of 03/27/09 & EQ 701 As Of 04/16/09.

What Should I do to get to upper 700s/ low 800s?

I dont have any derogs, Collections or Judgements on record.

Should I Pay off the AMEX Card? I do have the funds to PIF but am afraid of the $1000 being cut to $500 by AMEX Since it has been happening to others!

Should I apply for other cards? or do I have a good mix?

I do want to trade in my current SUV at some point for a smaller car with a smaller APR. I am currently upside down on the car, but I'd rather save in these uncertain times than pay that off.

If I do trade in my car, I will have a negative equity of around 3-5K depending on the price I get offered. I do have around 3-5K to put down on the new loan, so I guess I will start at zero! I was looking at getting into a Honda Civic at their 3.99% Prime rate - They require scores over 700!

Any help you provide on getting up there (score-wise) and any suggestions on my credit cards will be greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
athensguy
Valued Contributor

Re: I need some help!

The only immediate score boost I see is paying down the Amex card to below 10%.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

At $850 reported balance on AMEX, you are above 10% utilization on all CL's ($8250) and you are nearly maxed on that card.  FICO high achievers average 7%. 

Your installment loan to CU, I would suggest paying 35% of the balance off.  FICO high achievers average having paid down 35% of installement loans.

Paying your CapOne auto loan down by $5500 will put you under 65% balance from original loan amount.  FICO high achievers average having paid down 35% on installement/auto loans.

Don't apply for any new loans (inquiries), though I would suggest looking at refi options on the auto.  If you want to save money, then start by saving on that halacious interest rate Smiley Happy

Have a garage sale, ebay and craigslist sale.  We all accumulate stuff that we don't need, don't use, don't want, don't remember, stored in attic/closet/garage/shed or worse yet in paid storage or have certain luxuries that we can live without but would bring a price.  People raise hundreds and even thousands this way.  You can use these funds to pay down debt mentioned above without impacting current savings.

Make sure you have an iron tight budget.  See if there is any place you can make non-essential cuts and put the difference toward your auto loan till you get it refinanced.  You're paying OVER $4000 per year in interest right now.  Getting that refinanced at 8% would mean you could pay almost $2500 per year in additional principle without increasing your payment from current levels (if you refinance, don't actually pay less, pay the same and do some damage on the balance Smiley Happy )

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

try to get the utilization down and how about a refinance on the car?
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you all for your comments!

I did try refinancing the car, but I owe more on it than its worth and the CU I recently became a member of declined my refinance application. I didnt really want to waste more inquiries so I just let it go and keep paying the earlier auto loan.

I do want to get rid of this SUV its a gas monger and uses up quite a lot of premium gasoline, which is costing me money! I was thinking of going the trade-in route and getting a smaller, newer model car which I would keep until it broke down!!

Do you think I stand a good chance of getting a new auto loan on a new car (I was thinking about getting a civic) with around 3K down while I am upside-down on this car for around 3-5K? and will my APR be much less than what it is now?

I was told when I got into this car that Crap 1 will reduce my APR after 6 months (yes, I know now that the contract doesnt renew until I refinance! - what can I say, I was dumb.)

Message 5 of 6
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

At $850 reported balance on AMEX, you are above 10% utilization on all CL's ($8250) and you are nearly maxed on that card.  FICO high achievers average 7%. 

Your installment loan to CU, I would suggest paying 35% of the balance off.  FICO high achievers average having paid down 35% of installement loans.

Paying your CapOne auto loan down by $5500 will put you under 65% balance from original loan amount.  FICO high achievers average having paid down 35% on installement/auto loans.

Don't apply for any new loans (inquiries), though I would suggest looking at refi options on the auto.  If you want to save money, then start by saving on that halacious interest rate Smiley Happy

Have a garage sale, ebay and craigslist sale.  We all accumulate stuff that we don't need, don't use, don't want, don't remember, stored in attic/closet/garage/shed or worse yet in paid storage or have certain luxuries that we can live without but would bring a price.  People raise hundreds and even thousands this way.  You can use these funds to pay down debt mentioned above without impacting current savings.

Make sure you have an iron tight budget.  See if there is any place you can make non-essential cuts and put the difference toward your auto loan till you get it refinanced.  You're paying OVER $4000 per year in interest right now.  Getting that refinanced at 8% would mean you could pay almost $2500 per year in additional principle without increasing your payment from current levels (if you refinance, don't actually pay less, pay the same and do some damage on the balance Smiley Happy )

yes, true but addressing these factors will not really offer the marked score increases that paying down revolving debt typically does.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.