Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need to get in with American Express

tag
Spanky23
Established Member

Re: I need to get in with American Express

For everyone needing more info

Score on Discover card showed 729 for 3 months straight, have lowered utilization and paid off discover in full each month, for some reason it dropped to 705 on the latest update

(absolutely no missed payments, no HP for anything, NOTHING but somehow my score dropped 24 points?)

CK went UP and shows 711 (showed 697 when discover showed 729) not CK went up and discover went down lol. Makes no sense

AAoA shows 1 year 8 months on CK (student loans), if just based off credit cards alone, discover is 9 months, discover is 5-6 months

No baddies either

Oh and utilization is down to just over 8%

Message 21 of 86
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Spanky23 wrote:

https://www295.americanexpress.com/cards/npz.do?pmccode=77#CARDS/77/1/0/0

This one? I probably won't spend $6500 in a year anytime soon so is that a better choice than the BCE when I can get 3% on gas year round?

Just so you know BCE you only get 2 % cash back on gas , BCP is 3% but that has an AF. There is no other Amex options for gas on cash back for gas. Other option is you can try an non amex cards like sm that has 5% Cashback on gas and groceries with 250 per month cap on each. 

Doesn't the Costco card offer 3% cash back up to $4000 on gas? 

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 22 of 86
Spanky23
Established Member

I've read a lot that Chase wants 12 months of history. is that as far as AAoA is concerned or credit cards?

Student loans dating back 3 years have my average age at 1 year 8 months. If that's the case I'll throw my name for the freedom instead. PRG wouldn't be worth it because I wouldn't hit the spending limit to get that bonus

Message 23 of 86
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@j_casteel wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Spanky23 wrote:

This one? I probably won't spend $6500 in a year anytime soon so is that a better choice than the BCE when I can get 3% on gas year round?

Just so you know BCE you only get 2 % cash back on gas , BCP is 3% but that has an AF. There is no other Amex options for gas on cash back for gas. Other option is you can try an non amex cards like sm that has 5% Cashback on gas and groceries with 250 per month cap on each. 

Yes you can i didn't include that because not everybody has access to costco membership , which is required. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 24 of 86
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Spanky23 wrote:

I've read a lot that Chase wants 12 months of history. is that as far as AAoA is concerned or credit cards?

Student loans dating back 3 years have my average age at 1 year 8 months. If that's the case I'll throw my name for the freedom instead. PRG wouldn't be worth it because I wouldn't hit the spending limit to get that bonus

They want 12 months with your own credit card. If you have relation with Chase that can be less than that. Some people can get the Freedom with 5-6 months.

They don't want to give the first card to people. Even if AU on other cards and student loans.

Of course this is no general rule, some people get approved. But for better chances to get the card you need to have your own card reporting.

Message 25 of 86
Spanky23
Established Member

Would you say wait then if I have a discover it (6 months old, always PIF) and a bestbuy card (9-10 months old, down to 8% utilization, doing no interest and always make at least the minimum)?

Message 26 of 86
newhis
Valued Contributor

I'm no expert, but I think that you have a shot with Amex (I think they look at your income more than others) and you better wait for Chase Freedom a couple of months just to be sure. I know Creditaddict will tell you to apply for both now Smiley Happy

Message 27 of 86
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@j_casteel wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Spanky23 wrote:

Yes you can i didn't include that because not everybody has access to costco membership , which is required. 

It makes sense to have a membership obviously, but I'm not sure it's actually required. The AF states "free with paid Costco membership" which leads me to assume that if I were to not have a paid membership with Costco then I would be charged an AF from AMEX for the card. Also, I may be overlooking it but I didn't see anywhere in the T/C's about being required to join Costco. 

BK discharged 1/10/17

Message 28 of 86
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@j_casteel wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@j_casteel wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Spanky23 wrote:

It makes sense to have a membership obviously, but I'm not sure it's actually required. The AF states "free with paid Costco membership" which leads me to assume that if I were to not have a paid membership with Costco then I would be charged an AF from AMEX for the card. Also, I may be overlooking it but I didn't see anywhere in the T/C's about being required to join Costco. 

From what i know of the card, which i have, you have to be costco membership. If you cancel your costco membership amex will cancel the card as well. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 29 of 86
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

I have the card as well and I haven't read anything like that.

BK discharged 1/10/17

Message 30 of 86
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.