cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need to "garden" - but how do I keep from applying?

tag
mgs2010
Regular Contributor

I need to "garden" - but how do I keep from applying?

I've posted before - I have wayyy too many credit cards. I've started closing some here and there but then it seems like I get the urge to apply for more. I just got approved for an amex blue cash everyday card on Saturday and since then I applied for another Amex everyday card and got approved for that too. I also started selling things on ebay and had an ad pop up for the paypal credit - submitted that and was approved for 3250. Then a few weeks ago, I applied for cabelas because I like the 9.99% on cabelas purchases and was approved for that too for 5k. HOW CAN I STOP MYSELF? It's a serious addicition and I NEED to stop. I legit have like 34 inquiries. Should I freeze my bureaus to keep myself from applying? Any advice from you long term gardeners out there? I really need to stop. I have way more credit than I will ever use but for some reason, seeing that "Congratulations, you're approved!" is just so thrilling to me. I can't explain it. I'm sure a lot of you out there have the same problem - at least I hope so...lol. Any tips you can give me would be great because I think this is really hurting my credit, though I haven't really had any issues getting approved for stuff - especially as of late - but that's no excuse. My EQ is 733 and I'm sure it would be a lot higher if I didn't have this application addicition. I need rehab or something, I swear...

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I need to "garden" - but how do I keep from applying?

FREEEEZE em up!  Honestly I have only been gardening for around 8 days and my freeze has already saved me 1x from myself.  I think once you freeze your reports it helps you picture what you are trying to achieve and internalize your decision.  I say go for it.  If that don't help, maybe seek counseling...but freezing will be cheaper Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 32
creditguy
Valued Contributor

I'd say your a candidate for a deep freeze, or you can simply rack up enough denials until you get sick of applying because you will definitely get those. Find a hobby and stay away from this place for a while, that should help too. Good Luck.
Message 3 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm so with you on this. I opened way too many this year. I can almost smell that Barclay's AA coming. As a rebuilder, seeing the approved message felt like weird validation. I've been trying to focus on SP CLIs and getting my UT under 10%. You have so many cards it would seem that you could keep really busy working on those. Some folks freeze their reports as well to make sure they think twice about that next app. 

Also, after getting some what I consider to be decent CLs, I evaluated my monthly PIF spend vs. total CL and it's sitting right at 8% and that really curbed my itch to app.

Good luck to you. Gardening is easier said than done. It's been 11 days and I feel like I need a sedative.

Message 4 of 32
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Dunno if it will help you or not but it has me and i am of the aggressive type.

Pal around and lose yourself in this area of the forums awhile. It's a good starter place to change focus on building your scores and other items of importance that affect a credit profile.

At least try it and see.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/bd-p/ficoscoring

Message 5 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

I so feel you there! It does feel good to see that you're approved and I think more so when you come from crappy credit. (I know this is the case for me) Yes I say deep freeze and get off of here...I've been TRYING to stay off the approvals section and it's hard. But anything new I do I go all in and research and read for days/weeks/months and I've just gotten into tracking my credit. But if you're in good shape now I say get outta here! (In the most loving way possible) Smiley Happy 

Message 6 of 32
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Focus on other interests and hobbies and just let your cards grow and age. It can be tempting but at some point it's definitely more harm than good. I think the best thing is to find other things to focus on. Good credit will basically take care of itself as long as you're paying your bills on time and letting accounts age. No need to obsess about credit cards. Look at the bigger picture and enjoy life's other offerings.

Message 7 of 32
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

What keeps me from apping is a printout of all my inquiries. I mean honestly, credit takes a long time to build but mere seconds to trash for 7-10 years. As much of an addiction as seeing “Congratulations, You’re approved!” can be, the approval message has a very short lifespan compared to the denial messages. No need to freeze, or stay off here. I browse all the forums here and I just celebrated 30 days app free and I have no urge to app now. Just set a goal and stick to it. Set a score goal, those can’t be met if your apping your score into the toilet. Right now your goal is to app, get approved, and get more cards, you merely need to change that. Your current goal is not sustainable, It will eventually fail you and force you to garden. Plus, once you get the bronze spade, you will not want to reset that hard work. Good luck.

Experian: 677 (28) | TransUnion: 697 (27) | Equifax: 684 (6)
Gardening as of: 1-23-2018
Updated 1-25-18
Message 8 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Many of us have been there and come through it and garden with ease. Keep yourself occupied by making decisions about which cards will be your daily drivers, which cards are really duplicates of the others, which cards suit your lifestyle/income best and which cards do you really want to keep for the long haul.

If you do this you will find you have more than enough cards and probably duplicate rewards/uses for your cards. Also, what about interest rates? If you have to carry a balance, that is a factor. Make a list of interest on your cards from least to most. Start thinking about long term goals.  I had to use my cards a while to know some of these answers. Now I have a plan for each card I have plus I have two that next year I will close.

Think about long term goals. Join us in the garden. We talk about this all the time. 

Good luck to you.

Message 9 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Logout from this site and find a new hobby, because it seems credit cards are your hobby.  Seriously, I took a semi-break from this place a while back because I found myself wanting to find new cards to app for.

Get outdoors and go hiking on a nice long trail, it's a wonderful experience and helps one find themselves again.

Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.