cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need willpower! Or the App Addicts thread.

tag
Smug
Established Contributor

Re: I need willpower

Trying to hang in there.lol
Experian® 808/Equifax® ?/TransUnion® 810
Baddies Experian® clean/Equifax® 1/TransUnion® Clean
Last CLI 6-13-2013
Total Credit $121,190.00
Goal 780!
Message 81 of 95
Kay_Cee
Regular Contributor

I broke down yesterdaySmiley Sad...  Applied for the Nordstrom's store card and got the 7 to 10 day message.  I was surprised, because I've come to expect instant approval,  so I called the 800 number and was told the application was approved.  No word on the limit until I get the card in 7 to 10 days. 

I think this is going to be my last card!

Message 82 of 95
lovely222
Regular Contributor

I failed as well. Smiley Sad I got to the 6 month mark (Monday) when I received a pre-approved offer from PNC. I took the bait. Luckily, I was approved with a limit of 17.5k. Now I have more credit than I will ever need, so back to gardening for the next year. Smiley Happy

6/13: FICO TU (Walmart): 750
6/13: FICO EQ (Score Watch): 769
Goal: 780+, 0 Balances, No app'ing! (For real this time!!!)
Message 83 of 95
TravellingNomad
Established Contributor

Re: I need willpower! Or the App Addicts thread.

i broke down and fell off the not apping wagon this month.  i did good by not applying for any cc for over a year and then earlier this month, i tried for a discover and got approved.  CL at $1,500 is good enough for me.  but because of that approval, i went crazy and have apped for about 3 other cards the past month....all denied LOL.  but i've picked myself back up.  this whole weeek, even though the urge was really strong, i am stopping cold turkey!!

Message 84 of 95
Anonymous
Not applicable

2 1/2 months without applying since I started my rebuilding phase (even though it was never really started) but waiting till december to maybe get a prime but well see I'm good right now with my 2 cards that I got and secured installment loan reporting so far so good. And not even a thought about applying just thinking about the future glory days! Lol I just wanna see how my score has changed but gotta wait till July with the quarterly monitoring.
Message 85 of 95
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

@Smug wrote:
Trying to hang in there.lol

Good to hear from you Smug! I broke down not too long ago but now everything is frozen... and frozen for the long haul. Finally have the garden of my dreams! LOL

Message 86 of 95
tray
Valued Contributor

Well I went on a home improvment cc app craze today within hours went from one store to the other, the special 18 and 24 month interest free financing got the best of me

1.  Lowe's - purchased a few appliances totaling around $2,400.00 in store app approved for $4,800.00  18 month interest free

2.  Home depot - in store app (app process totally different there) approved for $4,000.00 wanted to purchase a shed, but held back would have ate up most of my cl but this store is now offering 24month interest free for new customers

Need guidance for no more store cards!!!!  The only thing good about these cards is the interest free extended time for large purchases in which we all need in life at times unfortunately without breaking the bank

Starting Score: EQ 546 TU 566
Current Score: EQ 693TU 08 729 EX 08 738Need to Garden/New Accounts
Goal Score: 800
Message 87 of 95
mindacid
Valued Member

This thread is hilarous!  But also so very relevant.  I've also been struggling lately with the itch to app.   I have 9 apps in the last six months, 3 of those were from looking for an auto loan, the others were (chronologically):

Macys $1,200

JCPenney $1,500

Bloomingdales $3,000

Capital One No Hassle Rewards MC $500

Chase Freedom $5,000

AMEX green (denied)

In addition to those I have a Bankamericard Cash Rewards Platinum Visa (CL $1,000) open since 2008 (started as a secured card).

I've just closed a Best Buy Reward Zone MC (CL $400) and somewhere in a sock drawer I have a Sears store card (CL $250).  My util is about 10% today.

I totally identify with everyone who struggles to not apply.  it's amazing the satisfaction you receive from getting approved.

I've been toying with the idea of opening a share account with Pen Fed, but I understand they pull when you apply for membership so that's kept me in check.

I think I can overcome the app urges but it's nice to know that I'm not alone and that I can always come here and get some support -- and also a laugh!  It's funny to hear how we all talk about apps like they were drugs Smiley Happy 

Good luck to everyone.  Be strong and keep your finger off the button!  Smiley Happy

Message 88 of 95
Anonymous
Not applicable

This website is a bad influence. After going through threads and seeing what similar people get approved for, it makes you think you will have similar results.

My BK was discharged in August 2010. I've had an auto loan since December (seems to be a couple months behind on reporting). I've had a First Premier since January. I got Firestone about a month before I found this board, but it's not reporting yet, which is probably also an issue. After finding this board I sent out 5 GW letters. Going to send out a couple more.

Based on others results (I know, YMMV), I apped with the following...

Capital One - Approved $500CL

Victoria's Secret - Declined - Not sure of reason

Barclay's iTunes - Declined - Need 1 year after bankruptcy discharge (August)

Kay Jewelers - Declined - Need 6 months credit history after bankruptcy (I'm showing 4 with my CC and auto loan)

Orchard Bank - Approved - No CL given yet

I'm stopping now. I know, I shouldn't have apped so much, bt this site makes it so tempting to hit the button. I dunno why I went with Orchard. I guess because I figured with all those inquiries, I should get something positive out of it. The card I was prequaled for only has a $49 AF, so it's more in line with Cap1 and less like First Premier. I saw that Orchard started granting CLI's, so that made me app. Anyway, If I can make it 'till October, I'll app for Barclay's iTunes again and my local CU, then garden for a year or two.

Now, to find the willpower.

Message 89 of 95
CorporalCaptain
Valued Member

I'll add my 74 cents (2 cents adjusted for inflation) in.

No apps for me since August of 2010.  My goal has been to buy a house at the end of summer this year so I wanted no recent inquires.

Unfortunately that hasn't worked out since I did get a hard in January for my USAA MC (wanted it high enough to make it World eligible).  But that'll be my only inquiry less than a year old when I go for a mortgage, and it'll be over 6 months old when I apply.

It's been tough though. Smiley Happy  With scores in the 800s and quite a few outstanding offers from Amex, Chase, and others, it's hard not to hit the apply button for at least one of them.  But, I have a goal with the house so I've been staying good.   That said, once the mortgage closes and I have keys in hand....well....all bets are off if I see 1 or 2 outstanding deals.

USAA World MasterCard - $14,500
American Express SPG - $20,000
NFCU CashRewards Visa Sig - $20,000
PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa - $5,000
Message 90 of 95
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.