Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I officially hate Barclay already!

tag
Vegas247
Established Contributor

Re: I officially hate Barclay already!

@heygirlhey wrote:

I've barely had the card in my hand 24hrs and I already hate them. I've paid one bill and tried to make a store purchase today. I was hit with the "your card has been declined." I logged into my account and it said this:

During a recent review of your NY Giants Extra Points MasterCard account ending in 0317 we identified transactions that may be fraudulent. 

Please contact our Customer Security department as
soon as possible at 1-888-232-0776. Please have your
account number available when you call. Representatives
are available Monday through Friday - 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET
and Saturday through Sunday - 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET. 

For your protection, transaction activity on your
account and online access will be limited
 until we are
able to speak with you.

However when I called in they were closed and the  regular rep  told me "they are having problems in the security department." Are you kidding me?

Sorry that happend to you, but  sometimes when you get a new card, Banks just want to be sure that it's you using the card,  and didn't get stolen.....Discover did that for my first large purchase......I love my Barclay Card...website and android app are smooooth....

$600 Barclaycard® Rewards MasterCard® - Average Credit $6500 Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express $30k credit card16k Chase Freedom® - $200 Bonus12k VSiggy
Message 11 of 46
enharu
Super Contributor

Sorry this happened. They should have called you or something, but its weird they didn't.

I was notified of a potential fradulent charge before the actual charge even posted onto my accounts. They went ahead and closed the account and expedited a new card out using express free of charge.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 12 of 46
heygirlhey
Established Member

Vegas, it's not so much the fact that they did that. I can appreciate fraud protection. It's  that I was unable to contact them to let them know "its fine, its me." That the number on the back of my card connected me to 3 reps who all gave me incorrect information. That I had  to get the proper information from a message board! That's my gripe.  If not for Grabiela I'd be waiting until Monday when it could've been resolved in the store.  In the store, I could've at least told the teller "oh its just fraud protection, here run it again." But no, I had to do the walk of shame, lol.

Message 13 of 46
heygirlhey
Established Member

Yes, a call or something would've been great! I've received the fraud call before from my debit card issuer.  Hopefully this is not going to set the tone for my relationship with Barclay.

@enharu wrote:

Sorry this happened. They should have called you or something, but its weird they didn't.

I was notified of a potential fradulent charge before the actual charge even posted onto my accounts. They went ahead and closed the account and expedited a new card out using express free of charge.

Message 14 of 46
PowerMan572
Contributor

When I got my Barclaycard Arrival, I too had noticed a message in my account when I logged in that I needed to call them. I did think to myself "why are they not calling me?"

I never would haven't known I had to authorize some charges unless I logged into my account.

Since then, I've had 0 issues with Barclaycard and I really do like the card. It's my favorite of the 3 that I have. 

Message 15 of 46
financialsage

Dear Enharu,

If you dont mind me asking, what do you work in?

I see that you have the hard-to-get Palladium card as well as other cards with insane credit limits. Just wanted to know if you work in finance or something. Whatever you do, its obviously treating you very well.

Message 16 of 46
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@heygirlhey wrote:

I've barely had the card in my hand 24hrs and I already hate them. I've paid one bill and tried to make a store purchase today. I was hit with the "your card has been declined." I logged into my account and it said this:

During a recent review of your NY Giants Extra Points MasterCard account ending in 0317 we identified transactions that may be fraudulent. 

Please contact our Customer Security department as
soon as possible at 1-888-232-0776. Please have your
account number available when you call. Representatives
are available Monday through Friday - 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET
and Saturday through Sunday - 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET. 

For your protection, transaction activity on your
account and online access will be limited
 until we are
able to speak with you.

However when I called in they were closed and the  regular rep  told me "they are having problems in the security department." Are you kidding me?

Sorry for your troubles...I don't particularly like Barclay, so I won't app with them. The best of luck to you.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 17 of 46
Grabiela
New Contributor

You are welcome heygirlhey!!!

I am a underwriting Manager at Barclay. And yes please add that number to the list of backdoor numbers please!!

Message 18 of 46
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Grabiela wrote:

You are welcome heygirlhey!!!

I am a underwriting Manager at Barclay. And yes please add that number to the list of backdoor numbers please!!

I suspect you are about to get a lot of questions!

Message 19 of 46
barbaralee
Established Contributor

Well, I work in the fraud dept (not Barclays) Most cardholders are pretty good about things, but some will freak out, especially if they are on the phone for a long time and get transferred around. Then you get the inevitable: "OMG, you closed my card and it wasn't even fraud!" BS... here is the thing: it was flagged as potentially suspicious, so it was shut down. Certain stores sometimes have such high fraud rates that for some places we are not even allowed to call, we just shut it down. And yes, running the card is enough to trigger that.  I am sorry you got the runaround but I am a firm believer in you have to pick your battles. Is the inconvenience of getting declined and getting transferred a bit THAT big of a deal? Is it enough to inspire HATE? I mean, to me it is whatevs, but I understand others can be more temperamental. 

BTW, this happened to a friend of mine with his Chase card. Except their fraud dept told him to call back in two days, but the card remained restricted. So he called back in 48 hours, verified his purchases, and cleared it up. Not everything is going to be about the convenience to the cardholder, especially if it means potential money loss. 

Message 20 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.