Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I really do love NFCU!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I really do love NFCU!

So in June, my wife and I app'd for the nRewards Visa card jointly. We were discharged from Chapter 7 BK in November of 2010. We were very happy with the $7k limit they give us. We never had a CL even close to that before BK. In fact, I don't think all of our totals equaled $7k. We have a little balance on there because we took a vacation. Well, now we're moving and are going to need some new furniture. Rather than run that balance up and tank our utilization, we decided a new card was in order. We considered store cards, but they have limited use and probably own't give us a good limit. I decided to take a stab at getting the nRewards MC on my own. My app was pending for 2 days. I waited patiently and decided not to call. I logged in today and was approved for $4k on my own! Man I love this credit union! I'll be getting my new EQ score in 2 days, but as of August 15 it was 615. If I had to guess, I'd say I'll probably be 620-625 right now. Just wanted to share. If anyone is eligible and hasn't joined this CU, you're smoking something!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
ChesterPDexter
Established Contributor

Re: I really do love NFCU!

Aren't they awesome?  I don't understand their risk management strategy.  Why do they give credit to people like you and me?  And by that, all I mean is that we are people other companies have refused credit to.

Maybe they know something the other companies don't know.  While I have a BK in my past (in 2002) and I owe a lot of money to a lot of creditors, my payment history since 2002 has been exemplary - and I mean hundreds and hundreds of perfect payments on probably a couple of dozen accounts (some closed now, thankfully.)  As my husband said, "Finally someone is rewarding you for your hard work keeping many thousands of dollars running through all these accounts for years with almost zero mistakes."

NFCU has been instrumental in helping us to restructure some of our debt.  A relative helped us with more of our debt, and the remainder is being paid down as-is, but now the whole pile is manageable.  I will forever love NFCU for taking a chance on both of us.  I believe we are good credit risks and apparently they thought so, too.

Not applicable

I agree fully. I'm not sure if it's the fact that they cater to government people and their families that they feel there is less risk? I don't understand it either, but I'm very appreciative. They're going to take years off of my recovery from BK.

Message 3 of 6
joser1223
Valued Member

I have 3 settled charge offs and was approved for a cash Rewards Visa with 10,000 CL!

Starting Score: TU-626/EQ-???/EX-686
Current Score: TU-672/EQ-665/EX-716
Goal Score: 780

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 6
jason86423
Frequent Contributor

First off Congrats on the card!!  Nice starting limit!

Navy is pretty awesome!  I joined in May, app'd for a Cash Rewards for the BT and was approved for $17,500-  I was floored as my highest card before that was 6000.  Turned around after I received my welcome packet and app'd for the NavCheck.  Asked for $4,000 and got it!   As far as I'm concerned, all the inquiries are worth it!

At the time I had a few new open accounts and a 9 3/4 yr old BK showing on my reports. (No baddies since the BK) 

Reps are awesome and their services are on par with everyone else.  I've moved quite a bit of my banking over to them and I am a member for life after this!  

I'm a civilian member, got in off my Dad who retired Army.  I plan on having my son sign up also.. he needs to be with one of the best CU's out there and get in while he's eligible.

NFCU rocks!

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's awesome. I was a bit worried since we app'd for NavChek also in June and got denied (probably the fresh BK), and then I just got an invitation to app for their secured card (LOL) but I figured it was worth the hit. TU is down to 4 INQ's and EQ will start losing INQs soon. When I got the 3-5 day message, I was worried, but I figured I had a much better shot getting a good CL with them than any store card, and it'd have more use. Hopefully after the BK ages, they'll grant us some great CLI's. I plan on getting a card from my local CU in the spring (they seem to be very competitive right now, so may give me a good CL), and then asking for CLI's on both cards with Navy. Then it's full-on garden mode for a year.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.