Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I screwed up / What is my recource

tag
MmeLucie
Established Member

I screwed up / What is my recource

Imagine my shock when I realized I did not pay my Capital One Mastercard for the month of Dec.

This was truly a mental mix up because I pride myself on paying everything on time every month.

How can I lessen the ding to my credit score?

They didn't charge me a late fee.  I"m about  2 weeks late.

Is there ANYTHING I can do?  I currently have high balances due to life's ups and downs and am working on that.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: I screwed up / What is my recource

In order to be reported late to CRAs , you needed to be +30 days

Message 2 of 16
dabrian
Frequent Contributor

when was the due date?  Has to be 30 days past that do be reported to The CRA's. 

NFCU Sig Cash-20k/ Amex BCP-19.4k/ Amex Costco-1.2k/Chase Marriott-12k/CSP-13.4k/ Freedom-5.5k/ Discover IT-14k/NCSECU-5k/Walmart-10k/Lowes-25k
Message 3 of 16
dabrian
Frequent Contributor

Lexie's fingers are obv faster than mine.

NFCU Sig Cash-20k/ Amex BCP-19.4k/ Amex Costco-1.2k/Chase Marriott-12k/CSP-13.4k/ Freedom-5.5k/ Discover IT-14k/NCSECU-5k/Walmart-10k/Lowes-25k
Message 4 of 16
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@dabrian wrote:

Lexie's fingers are obv faster than mine.

Sometimes, not always. Smiley Tongue

Message 5 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

As others have said, if you pay and get credited before 30 days are up, you will not be reported as late.  But I am confused by your statement that they didn't charge a late fee.   Did they charge one and you got it reversed (which is often easy with Cap One)?   But I wouldn't expect to see a late fee until next statement.

Message 6 of 16
irrational
Frequent Contributor

If you haven't already done so, pay (at least) the minimum ASAP.

As others have said, it shouldn't report any derogs since you were only 2 weeks late. If the do report derogs, or Cap One takes AA you can always try a GW letter. Such a letter, though, would carry more weight if you first setup auto pay. Then your GW could basically tell them that you've learned your lesson, live and the holidays are busy, and that you've taken steps to prevent this in the future by setting up automatic payments on all your monthly responsibilities.

Current Score: TU (discover) 720 - 6/29/14 | EQ (score watch) 777 - 7/19/14 - Last App 7/21/14

NPSL          |      $27,600         |      $15,000      |      $7,000      |     $2,800     |      $11,000    |      $13,530      |      $5,200
Message 7 of 16
rlx01
Established Contributor

Can you turn on auto pay?
Message 8 of 16
enharu
Super Contributor

Like others said, no derogs on your CR yet.

The late fee should be reflected by the next statement. If this is your first time being late, call the lender. Most lenders are willing to waive late fees once every 12 months.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 9 of 16
MmeLucie
Established Member

That is such a relief!!! Thank you guys, for responding so quickly. I really appreciate it. I will look into auto pay. I never want this to happen again. 

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.