Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I smell a Rat!!

tag
WhiteCollar
Established Contributor

I smell a Rat!!

So, one of the best perks of the SSP is that you can get 20% off flights and hotels when booked through Chase Ultimate Rewards. Well, every time I check the ultimate rewards site and compare airline ticket prices with orbitz.com, OrbitZ is always always cheaper! How could that be if you get 20% off for booking the ultimate rewards site. For example. Ultimate rewards gave me a price of $1009.50 for a flight to Europe. OrbitZ priced the exact flight, time, carrier and departing airport all the same but their price was $836.00!! That's a substantial difference!!

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: I smell a Rat!!

It's certainly possible they increase the price 20% in order to compensate for a 20% discount.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 8
MsLadyRover
Valued Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:
It's certainly possible they increase the price 20% in order to compensate for a 20% discount.

+1

Starting Score: 639 (Walmart TU)
Current Score: TU 715 (Barclay) EX 685 (myFICO) EQ 697 (myFICO)
Goal Score: 700 Across the Board (Mortgage Goal Achieved 1/31/2012!)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 8
fittiger
Frequent Contributor

@WhiteCollar wrote:

So, one of the best perks of the SSP is that you can get 20% off flights and hotels when booked through Chase Ultimate Rewards. Well, every time I check the ultimate rewards site and compare airline ticket prices with orbitz.com, OrbitZ is always always cheaper! How could that be if you get 20% off for booking the ultimate rewards site. For example. Ultimate rewards gave me a price of $1009.50 for a flight to Europe. OrbitZ priced the exact flight, time, carrier and departing airport all the same but their price was $836.00!! That's a substantial difference!!

The fares/rates published through UR may be the standard rate or something...discouted 20%.

Try going through Ultimate Rewards and booking through Travelocity or Hotels.com.  Currently, I get an additional 2 points for booking travelocity thru UR Mall (4x total) and 3 points for booking hotels.com thru UR Mall (5x total).

This way, you get a discounted price...lower than the UR Mall fares/rates, plus the additional bonus points.

Message 4 of 8
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

@WhiteCollar wrote:

I noticed the same thing when I booked a flight thru my USAA Amex card but the difference it was about $200 for 4 tickets to Ireland  Total $4500.  So total it was like 5% added on which I could live with because of how many points I had.  Out of curiousity check to see if you booked two tickets would it be the apprx. 170 difference for all the tickets or would it be per ticket.

Message 5 of 8
enharu
Super Contributor

I guess it depends on where you are flying from and to, and what airlines you are looking at.

I looked at international flights on UR and prices were in line with airlines, kayak, orbitz and Expedia.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 6 of 8
CarbonCard
Established Contributor

@WhiteCollar wrote:

I think it's not exactly "20% off."

From Chase: "For example, a $500 flight requires just 40,000 points."

So basically, you could use 20% less points to book a flight/hotel. Right guys?

Starting Score: (1/15)TU: 690 EX: 690 EQ: 711
Current Score: (10/18) TU-8: 813 EX-8: 808 EQ: 797
Goal Score: (7/20) 800+ for all three bureaus

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 8
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

You get a 20% discount when redeeming UR Points.

Basicall a UR Point is worth 1.25C when redeeming for travel through the UR website.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.