cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I stepped out of the garden but I got approved for my first prime card!

tag
missionpossible
Valued Member

Re: I stepped out of the garden but I got approved for my first prime card!

Wow,congrats to you! Both on the card and the on the new home!

Message 21 of 24
myjourney
Super Contributor

@1_2 wrote:

I'm no angel. We have an adult daughter together.  Regardless of our issues, regardless of the fact she is grown and living on her own, we have always been civil towards one another in front of her. In fact, we are like best friends in front of her. She would probably tell anyone we are best friends because we have both told her we are good friends. In reality, we are merely civil. He doesn't have physical access to any of my cards and never will. Now that he has his own prime card and his insurance has gone down, I will be removing him as authorized user.

He inherited his home. I worked, saved and improved my credit to get mine. His insurance agent also happens to be my agent and a mutual friend of both. We live in a rural area where everyone knows everyone else. We have put on the friendship front for everyone for the sake of our daughter, only people very, very close to either of us knows the difference. When he asked our agent why my insurance was so much cheaper than his she said it was because I have good credit and he didn't have any. She suggested to him that he should ask me about becoming an AU. UGH!

When he came to ask me about adding him my daughter was visiting. I told him I didn't think that was legal since we aren't married any more. He picked up the phone, called our agent, on speaker phone and asked her. She said different companies have different policies about who you can add and if they will or wont report them. That if they wont report it, there was no need to add him but it couldn't hurt to call and ask each company what their policy was on it. I felt pressured since this was all happening in front of our daughter so I called, hoping they would say No, you can't add him or at least no, they woudn't report him to the credit agencies. No such luck. They all said it wasn't a problem and they would report him. Capital One said they would report him an an authorized user but evidently that didn't matter. He went from having no credit, (I couldn't even pull his up on Credit Karma) to basically having good credit in about two months time. He had the insurance agent adjust his homeowners and it went down over one thousand a year. He thanked me and my daughter thanked me. I wasn't thrilled to do it but I was glad for him that his insurance went down so much.

I can't explain why it bothered me when he was approved for that Citi card. I think it was because I feared I couldn't get approved due to all the hard pulls on my credit reports. I was also envious of his limit of 2000.00. My highest limit was Walmart at 1050.00 and I was/still am hoping for a raise from that this week.  He has my good payment history but doesn't suffer for any of the hard pulls. Still, because he is listed as an AU on a few of the cards, his scores aren't quite as good as mine but its still in the good category with no hard pulls.  This sounds crazy and it probably is.But deep down I was resentful that he could get such a card and he hadn't been through any of the rebuilding process I had. I know that sounds horrible of me and probably makes me horrible but its how I felt. Then getting denied a measly credit limit increase on a measly 300.00 card by Capital One..It was just all too much. I think I could have stayed strong in the garden if those things hadn't happened.

Oh well. I'm a girl.

I'm glad now that I took the leap but I'm not proud of myself for the reasons I did it or the true inner feelings I had about it that no one knows about..Except you guys (my therapists) but I know you all (I'm southern) wont tell anyone.

Right?

@audia4--I'm looking at your scores and your other cards/limits in your signature. Capital One wont budge with you either? I cant for the life of me figure them out. I really cant and if anyone here has any insight to Capital Ones reasoning or lack thereof, please enlighten me. Seriously. I'd love to know.

Mumms the word Smiley Wink

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 22 of 24
audia4
Established Contributor

@1_2 wrote:

I'm no angel. We have an adult daughter together.  Regardless of our issues, regardless of the fact she is grown and living on her own, we have always been civil towards one another in front of her. In fact, we are like best friends in front of her. She would probably tell anyone we are best friends because we have both told her we are good friends. In reality, we are merely civil. He doesn't have physical access to any of my cards and never will. Now that he has his own prime card and his insurance has gone down, I will be removing him as authorized user.

He inherited his home. I worked, saved and improved my credit to get mine. His insurance agent also happens to be my agent and a mutual friend of both. We live in a rural area where everyone knows everyone else. We have put on the friendship front for everyone for the sake of our daughter, only people very, very close to either of us knows the difference. When he asked our agent why my insurance was so much cheaper than his she said it was because I have good credit and he didn't have any. She suggested to him that he should ask me about becoming an AU. UGH!

When he came to ask me about adding him my daughter was visiting. I told him I didn't think that was legal since we aren't married any more. He picked up the phone, called our agent, on speaker phone and asked her. She said different companies have different policies about who you can add and if they will or wont report them. That if they wont report it, there was no need to add him but it couldn't hurt to call and ask each company what their policy was on it. I felt pressured since this was all happening in front of our daughter so I called, hoping they would say No, you can't add him or at least no, they woudn't report him to the credit agencies. No such luck. They all said it wasn't a problem and they would report him. Capital One said they would report him an an authorized user but evidently that didn't matter. He went from having no credit, (I couldn't even pull his up on Credit Karma) to basically having good credit in about two months time. He had the insurance agent adjust his homeowners and it went down over one thousand a year. He thanked me and my daughter thanked me. I wasn't thrilled to do it but I was glad for him that his insurance went down so much.

I can't explain why it bothered me when he was approved for that Citi card. I think it was because I feared I couldn't get approved due to all the hard pulls on my credit reports. I was also envious of his limit of 2000.00. My highest limit was Walmart at 1050.00 and I was/still am hoping for a raise from that this week.  He has my good payment history but doesn't suffer for any of the hard pulls. Still, because he is listed as an AU on a few of the cards, his scores aren't quite as good as mine but its still in the good category with no hard pulls.  This sounds crazy and it probably is.But deep down I was resentful that he could get such a card and he hadn't been through any of the rebuilding process I had. I know that sounds horrible of me and probably makes me horrible but its how I felt. Then getting denied a measly credit limit increase on a measly 300.00 card by Capital One..It was just all too much. I think I could have stayed strong in the garden if those things hadn't happened.

Oh well. I'm a girl.

I'm glad now that I took the leap but I'm not proud of myself for the reasons I did it or the true inner feelings I had about it that no one knows about..Except you guys (my therapists) but I know you all (I'm southern) wont tell anyone.

Right?

@audia4--I'm looking at your scores and your other cards/limits in your signature. Capital One wont budge with you either? I cant for the life of me figure them out. I really cant and if anyone here has any insight to Capital Ones reasoning or lack thereof, please enlighten me. Seriously. I'd love to know.

You are a brave women and a very strong one. You have my respect. I could have never done that for my ex and let him reap the rewards. Ugh. Courageous story and I'm so happy for you and your success.

Nope, Cap 1 won't budge with me either. I have had this $300 limit for about 1 year, maybe 8 months??? I can't remember. They have always denied me for an increase. PLUS...I pay a $59 yearly fee PLUS the interest is something like 21% if not more. I don't know. I only used it to get things started on rebuilding my credit and always PIF every bill. So, if they do not budge any time before the beginning of the year when it gets close to time to pay the yearly fee again...I will cancel and say good riddens to it. They have served their purpose for me and really no longer needed at that amount.

So definitely don't be bummed about not getting an increase with them. It happens a lot to people on here (or so they have reported).

TU: 819 EQ: 821 EX 811

**$7500****$30,000*****$13500****$42,200****$10,000***$10,700*****$6000****$11,000*****OPEN****OPEN******$27,000*****11,000

Message 23 of 24
1_2
Contributor

Thank you for the compliments.  Because of him I was homeless in 2005. Literally, homeless in the dead of winter, with just my car, my clothes and two dogs,  so it was very hard to watch him reap the rewards of my hard work. I didnt have family to turn to like he did..but thats a whole 'nother story. I've came a long long way since then and learned invaluable lessons so there is always a bright side to every story and a light at the end of every tunnel for those of you out there struggling.

I was thinking I should cancel one subprime card each time I get a prime card. Naturally I would like to cancel Capital One but my Credit One card is the next one with a fee due and rationally, I think that should be the one I cancel. I always pay all of my cards in full each month. I havent ever had to pay a thin dime of interest yet but thats not saying much looking at my limits. The most I have ever charged was a little over 400 one month on my Walmart card and I paid it before it came due. I would really like to cancel my Capital One with the 1000.00 limit since thats a secured card but unfortunately that is my oldest line of credit and I'm not sure how badly that would hurt me. It may end up having to be the last to go. I love and will keep my Walmart card and I wouldnt mind having an Amazon card since I do a lot of shopping online but other than that I just want 3 prime cards and I want to learn which of those would be the best to go after. I want the other two to be rewards cards.

If anyone reading this knows of a better plan to get rid of the rebuilder cards with the least harm to my credit scores please chime in.

Closed on home Jan 30, 2013. Yay!

Capital One (secured) $1000.00 | Capital One (former Orchard Bank) $500.00 | First Premier $500.00 | Credit One Bank $750.00 | Wal-Mart $3550.00 | Citi Thank You Preferred $6,800.00 | Discover It $4,800.00 | AMEX BCE $4,500.00
Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.