cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I survived a Chase "Lending Risk" review!

tag
willwar14
Valued Contributor

I survived a Chase "Lending Risk" review!

Ok, i'm NOT looking for any judgement, but yesterday I tried to use my Marriott card and it was declined and I was like oh crap, I got hit with aa. Well not quite, I called in, and since the customer service number on my Ritz card is a direct line to the EO, I made the call and was prepared for the worst. I was told my account(s) were frozen and pending a lending risk review. 

A little background, I started building credit back in January of 2015, so I have a fairly thin profile. My first card was an Amazon Visa, which I closed a few weeks ago. and more recently I have opened a bunch of new accounts, adding up to the tune of $120,000, which is I know a large flag (still not looking for judgement). And included in my recent spree was Chase, they approved my Ritz and Marriott apps, $13,500 and $8,000, and since I was planning to hit the garden until the end of this year I thought I would close my $1,000 Amazon Visa and move the line over to the Ritz, well they would only move $500 over (thats what the system would allow) so I moved $500 over and closed the card. Then moved $1,000 from my Marriott card bringing my Ritz card to a nice $15,000 Smiley Happy

So back to the story with the "Senior Lending Risk Analyst", I decided to bite the bullet and talk with one versus waiting for them to review, reason why, I wanted to have a chance to explain myself. I was 100% honest with every question, which I think was best, because these people do this all day, so they can see through bs pretty easily. After a 15 min hold the lady came back with questions, question #1 was: "I noticed you have some large transactions going through with a company called "Plastiq", would you mind telling me a bit about them?" I answered back saying they were my parents household bills that I was paying using my card, and it was a temporary thing so I could meet the spending bonuses and they would reimburse me the money. Question #2 was: "I also noticed that the transactions you have going through with "Plastiq" look somewhat manufactured would you mind explaining why?" I answered back saying that their mortgage payment was $4,500 so it made sense to split up the payment so it would be easier to meet the bonuses. Question #3 was: "I noticed you have quite a number of recent accounts opened, would you mind explaining why?" I answered back by saying, I am eager to establish a good credit history, and yes I did go a little overboard and most of the accounts I did open I plan on keeping for the long haul. She put me back on hold, came back saying my cards were now active again (I was like phewwwww),

I asked her if I could ask a few questions for future reference, she said sure. I asked what was the big flag that caused "the system" to freeze my accounts, she said it was mainly in part due to the suspicious "Plastiq" transactions. I also asked what positive factors I had going for me, she said I noticed your first credit card was with us, and you never missed a payment, and that your credit history has no derogatory items or late payments, and the fact that I don't carry a balance. 

thanks all for reading my data point. hope this helps you.

CH7 FILED: 08/18/2022, DC: 01/23/2023
Message 1 of 40
39 REPLIES 39
baller4life
Super Contributor

Re: I survived a Chase "Lending Risk" review!

Glad it all worked out for you! You've done well obtaining the cards you have. Time to hit that garden for the next 12 months! Let these cards age. Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 40
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Totally judging you..... Despite your request for no judgment.......

Lolol.

Happy you got it all worked out. Keep spending! That 10k on the Ritz isn't gonna spend itself!
Message 3 of 40
willwar14
Valued Contributor

@baller4life wrote:
Glad it all worked out for you! You've done well obtaining the cards you have. Time to hit that garden for the next 12 months! Let these cards age. Smiley Happy

amen to that! my tu and eq are already locked, experian will be locked in the next week, my tu reached 759 before all the new accounts hit, and now its at a 703, so it garden time for me.. I have all I need for now.. learned so much from the vast knowledge on this forum.

Message 4 of 40
elim
Senior Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

Lolol.

Happy you got it all worked out. Keep spending! That 10k on the Ritz isn't gonna spend itself!

+1  consider yourself judged...    I wonder if they will start looking close at plastiq like they did with serve?  I had some plans with plastiq and chase, grrrrr.   I guess if I keep it all legit, it should be ok.

congrats on the outcome    :]

Message 5 of 40
willwar14
Valued Contributor

@elim wrote:

@jsucool76 wrote:

Lolol.

+1  consider yourself judged...    I wonder if they will start looking close at plastiq like they did with serve?  I had some plans with plastiq and chase, grrrrr.   I guess if I keep it all legit, it should be ok.

congrats on the outcome    :]

lol i should of included "heck your gonna judge anyway, so whatever lol"

Message 6 of 40
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Glad you made it through.. Chase doesn't like Plastiq and actually thought you weren't allowed to use their cards with Plastiq (read this on other forums).  I have used my Amex cards on Plastiq to meet spend, but not near the tune of $4500 a month.  Obviously you know you should not be applying for anything in the near future as they will be keeping a close watch on you now, especially with service's like Plastiq.  

Good info for people in your post though.  Sure others will appreciate it.

Message 7 of 40
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Glad you made it through.. Chase doesn't like Plastiq and actually thought you weren't allowed to use their cards with Plastiq 9read this on other forums).  I have used my Amex cards on Plastiq to meet spend, but not near the tune of $4500 a month.  Obviously you know you should not be applying for anything in the near future as they will be keeping a close watch on you now, especially with service's like Plastiq.  

Good info for people in your post though.  Sure others will appreciate it.

Yes, I expect more issuers will start looking at anything "strange"    Services like Plastiq increase the rewards they need to pay out and may not have figured in their costing model.   Probably need to tstart treating them as cash advances

Message 8 of 40
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Lots of new accounts plus the Plastiq thing make the review unsurprising. I'm glad it came out in your favor, but take it for  what it is: a warning to slow down. Don't open any more accounts for many months as they are going to be keeping a close eye, and so are your other lenders, more than likely.

Message 9 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats OP!!!! I survived a very similar Lending Risk review too in Feb (Mod Cut) I passed with flying colors and got many compliments on my credit) -- was painless and fast.  

Chase can be picky it seems, but once you survive the review, i think you're good for awhile -- my Risk Rep stated she was flagging the computer, and that I "should be all set for some time" meaning the system can perhaps be overridden.  Just thinking out loud!  But congrats -- LOVE my RITZ Card, and using our 2 free nights this May !!! Smiley Very Happy  Enjoy !!!

Message 10 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.