Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I take a Credit Line over Credit Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I take a Credit Line over Credit Card

Again this is a personal choice that i do find to be much better having a Credit Line than having a regular Credit Card.  I know the convenience of using the card but its that same convenience that makes it easy to make useless purchases on a credit card...

My credit line has been at  much lower interest rate,  in order to use it, i have to do an online transfer to checking account and the whole process while seemless,  promotes a better usage than a credit card..   I think am done with credit card and i can always get a low interest loan incase i need more... with these guys...https://www.sofi.com/refer/148/36200

Personal Loan Rates
4.74% APR2 - 10.79% APR2
Variable Interest Rate Range
5.95% APR2 - 12.49% APR2
Fixed Interest Rate Range

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: I take a Credit Line over Credit Card

If you can get those lowest rates, it's a good APR.

The thing about credit cards, however: Many people here look for other advantages besides APR, such as earning cash back, getting travel perks and / or travel points. Used in a PIF mode, a CC has zero interest cost for up to 45 days. There are Balance Transfer cards that end up with lower rates to borrow than even the rates above. Credit cards provide a level of insulation of your cash on hand from fraud risks. In order to use the LOC you have to route that cash through your debit card. Slightly more risky than a CC transaction.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 5
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Again this is a personal choice that i do find to be much better having a Credit Line than having a regular Credit Card.  I know the convenience of using the card but its that same convenience that makes it easy to make useless purchases on a credit card...

My credit line has been at  much lower interest rate,  in order to use it, i have to do an online transfer to checking account and the whole process while seemless,  promotes a better usage than a credit card..   I think am done with credit card and i can always get a low interest loan incase i need more... with these guys.. (link removed)

Personal Loan Rates
4.74% APR2 - 10.79% APR2
5.95% APR2 - 12.49% APR2

Credit lines are fine but generally much higher rates than credit cards IF you use a credit card correctly. Many cards offer balance transfers at 12 to 18 months at eirher low rates aka currently 4.99% for 18 month or ZERO percent for 12 months with a 3% fee (current Discover offer). Many other cards offer ZERO percent for up to 21 months for balance transfers, most with a 3% fee, several with no fee. Property owners can get equity lines at very low interest rates through credit unions and banks both at fixed terms or revolving credit & payments. 

It's one thing to use a credit card for what you can afford to pay in full every month (net = NO Interest) or for special financing at special rates (Lowes 5.99% project financing comes to mind because I've used it), it's another thing to take out a credit line and use it as a "credit card" which I would NOT suggest.

Note: I edited out your link because your post reads like an advertisment for a business.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit cards have advantages such as cashback, rewards, and perks that lines of credit don't have. From my standpoint, there's no advantage of using a line of credit in comparison to a debit card, and a marked disadvantage compared to most credit cards. I just don't see the value.

Message 4 of 5
jacetx
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My credit line has been at  much lower interest rate,  in order to use it, i have to do an online transfer to checking account and the whole process while seemless,  promotes a better usage than a credit card..   I think am done with credit card and i can always get a low interest loan incase i need more... with these guys...https://www.sofi.com/refer/148/36200

Personal Loan Rates
4.74% APR2 - 10.79% APR2
5.95% APR2 - 12.49% APR2

Just a word of caution, referral links are not permitted in the forum, it is a violation of myFICO's ToS. You might want to edit that part out.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.