Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think I know why AMEX won't give me CLI on Jet Blue card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I know why AMEX won't give me CLI on Jet Blue card

I have 3 AMEX cards Just recived ED 3000SL 18.99%  PRG NPSL and the JB still pegged at the $1000SL opened 11-01-14. I also have BOA Travel Rewards SIgn Visa $5000 Chase Slate $5000 Disc $6000. AAOA 11 months.  727 TU  723EQ  725 EX  100% PIF. For the life of me I couln't undertand why they kept declining my CLI request, I think I know now. The JB card just has one APR rate 15.24%. They will not give me more credit at that rate! As you can see from just approved ED at 18.99%. that is AMEX grade for me at this point in my history. If the card was not chanbging as of 01-01-16 I would think about askingAMEX to consider actually RAISING the APR in exchnage for higher CL. Why not?  I'm PIF anyway. Make sense? I'm requesting green card at product change time when JB agreement ends to pool my rewards points with ED and PRG. 

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Re: I think I know why AMEX won't give me CLI on Jet Blue card

@Anonymous wrote:

I have 3 AMEX cards Just recived ED 3000SL 18.99%  PRG NPSL and the JB still pegged at the $1000SL opened 11-01-14. I also have BOA Travel Rewards SIgn Visa $5000 Chase Slate $5000 Disc $6000. AAOA 11 months.  727 TU  723EQ  725 EX  100% PIF. For the life of me I couln't undertand why they kept declining my CLI request, I think I know now. The JB card just has one APR rate 15.24%. They will not give me more credit at that rate! As you can see from just approved ED at 18.99%. that is AMEX grade for me at this point in my history. If the card was not chanbging as of 01-01-16 I would think about askingAMEX to consider actually RAISING the APR in exchnage for higher CL. Why not?  I'm PIF anyway. Make sense? I'm requesting green card at product change time when JB agreement ends to pool my rewards points with ED and PRG. 

I highly doubt it has anything to do with the APR, my Hilton is 13.24% at $25k

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 2 of 16
creditguy
Valued Contributor

You could be right or maybe since the card is going away they just don't care about doing anything with it, either way, who knows why any CC issuer does what they do, sometimes there's no rhyme or reason for their actions. Will you be applying for the Barclays version when it arrives?
Message 3 of 16
peaceonearth
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If you're not going to carry a balance, why don't you just use your AMEX PRG NPSL?

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm going to decline the Barclays offer and I'm going deep into the garden till Summer 2016. My cards features are becoming a little too diluted as it is with mutiple cards and I have several inquires due to drop off 2016.  12INQ EX  6 Fall off by summer 2016. 

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do use my PRG extensively. My issue with the JB card, I fly JB a lot but with $1000 CL, your right up agaisn't utlitzation limit fast - just has limited purchasing power.

Message 6 of 16
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It could be that the Jet Blue accounts are going to transfer to another bank.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 7 of 16
peaceonearth
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm going to decline the Barclays offer and I'm going deep into the garden till Summer 2016. My cards features are becoming a little too diluted as it is with mutiple cards and I have several inquires due to drop off 2016.  12INQ EX  6 Fall off by summer 2016. 

I think, that's a good idea!

In the meantime, keep using your JB and pay it off as soon you get the statement.

Message 8 of 16
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You can test your theory out. Go online to your AMEX account, and chat to ask to get your ED APR reduced. I'll wager they'll reduce it for you, because they are very easy to ask for APR reductions. This would make the JB APR a non-factor.

ETA: You can also ask to reduce the JB APR. While it says 15.24% in the advertising, or at least it did, AMEX and Citi are easy to ask for "below published" rates, pernanent rate changes most likely.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 9 of 16
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've had both the JetBlue and Delta Gold cards for more than a year; got them July 2014. Have never been able to get a CLI on either, so I doubt it has to do with being JetBlue. 

One thing I have learned about Amex is the peculiarity that if you get denied for a CLI, you will automatically be denied for a CLI within the following 90 days. So since I didn't space the requests out more than 90 days from previous denial, I never actually had a chance. This time around I'm waiting until 90-something days have passed since last denial, and will try again.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.