cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think I'm DONE (HUGE Thanks to this community)

tag
DBSH
New Contributor

I think I'm DONE (HUGE Thanks to this community)

About 4 years ago, my credit was dismal. This community gave me all the tools for dealing with existing delinquent debt and solutions on how to get back to normal credit. 

I dealt with the debt and slowly but surely things were falling off and closing. I was able to get a two secured cards and a store card. Those later turned into unsecured cards. I was slowly getting approved for things and I now have a somewhat resectable wallet with a CapOne, BOA, Discover, Amex & BarclaysCard cards. My AAoA and Inq are still poor ...for obvious reasons, so I'm gardening until 2017. I am going to ask for the 61 day CLI from Amex and BarclaysCard, but I can't see myself needing more cards this year.

I didn't address the credit problems with severe urgency so I am sure everything could be accomplished alot faster, but the first year was a little tough to deal with given that my score was in the low to mid 500s. This was such a tremendous learning experience for me in so many ways that I feel like this had to be put out there as a thank you and maybe a story for people who think they are in a hopeless situation. 

Thank you again everyone!

BofA Cash Rewards: $15,000; Capital One Quicksilver: $9,000; Discover IT $15,000; Amex BCE: $15,000. Barclaycard Ring $12,000; Amazon $5000:
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Re: I think I'm DONE (HUGE Thanks to this community)

A somewhat respectable wallet? So modest, I'd say you have a very respectable wallet. Congrats on all your success!!! This forum has been incredibly helpful for me as well and I too am content with my wallet for now and am gardening for the foreseeable future.

Thanks for sharing, it really is helpful for others to see what is possible and when it comes to credit it can seem hopeless at times when things are in the dumps, so it's great to see there is light at the end of the tunnel, again Congrats on your success!!!
Message 2 of 18
mikelo22
Established Contributor

I agree, you're  being far too modest. Smiley Tongue  Your credit profile looks great!  So nice to hear these success stories.  I think we're all pretty fortunate to have stumbled upon myFico Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DBSH wrote:

About 4 years ago, my credit was dismal. This community gave me all the tools for dealing with existing delinquent debt and solutions on how to get back to normal credit. 

I dealt with the debt and slowly but surely things were falling off and closing. I was able to get a two secured cards and a store card. Those later turned into unsecured cards. I was slowly getting approved for things and I now have a somewhat resectable wallet with a CapOne, BOA, Discover, Amex & BarclaysCard cards. My AAoA and Inq are still poor ...for obvious reasons, so I'm gardening until 2017. I am going to ask for the 61 day CLI from Amex and BarclaysCard, but I can't see myself needing more cards this year.

I didn't address the credit problems with severe urgency so I am sure everything could be accomplished alot faster, but the first year was a little tough to deal with given that my score was in the low to mid 500s. This was such a tremendous learning experience for me in so many ways that I feel like this had to be put out there as a thank you and maybe a story for people who think they are in a hopeless situation. 

61 day cli is not around anymore.  You go 90 days between denials, and 6 months between approvals. Anything above 25k on a card they may ask for 4506T I think $24,500 is the magic number.  Amex has tightened the reigns with 3x CLIs, more folks report higher success with waiting a few months of use if its a new account.

You have somre great cards!  I would just make sure you have all of your cash back categories covered, pay little, if any interest, use your ring, disco,  and cap1 for debt shuffles as needed

You could always use up some inquiries later on to get some bonuses.  A free plane ticket or a few nights in a hotel room or $150, $200, $400, starts to add up!

Anyways great job, great cards, great limits! Thank you for sharing your story!

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DBSH wrote:

Congrats on your success and thanks for sharing your story. Keep up the good work!Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

A fantastic story! Congratulations!

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! We'll miss you!
Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your "respectable" (read GREAT) wallet and working yourself back up the credit ladder!

Message 8 of 18
jeffery581
Established Contributor

I am in the same boat. In fact I closed 5 store cards today and 5 more are being closed tomorrow. 6 years of hard work. Started out in low 500s now amex says 742 fico.Smiley Very Happy

Lots of very nice and informative people on here.

BTW when closing Kohls they asked why, I said credit limit to low. She said they could raise it to 3k from 700. I ended up closing anyway but for those interested, Threatening to close a kohls card because of a low limit might get you a decent limit.

My credit works for me now, I do not work for it.

Capital One Quicksilver Visa | Capital One Quicksilver Matercard | Sony Visa | ebay Mastercard | Best Buy Visa| Shell Mastercard | CareCredit | Amazon Rewards Visa | Discover it | Lowes | Home Depot | Chase Freedom | Ebates Visa | TJMAX Platinum MasterCard | Stash Signature Visa | Hilton Amex | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa | Bank of America Better Balance Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash Rewards | Blue Cash AMEX | IHG Rewards Club World Mastercard | Barclay Cash Foward World Mastercard | Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash 365 AMEX | Amex Everyday | Target | CITI Double Cash | WELLS FARGO PROPEL AMEX | Royal Carribean Visa | AARP REWARDS VISA | BEst Western Mastercard
Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats and what a great motivation for the rest of us! I found these forums as well about 6 months ago and with what I've learned so far (and continue to learn almost daily) I have already brought my scores up 50-70 points each, and am almost into the final cards I will use for the next 5+ years, as well as into a relatively low interest auto loan that I'm paying off at 400% speed due to better money management.

We can all learn from and support each other in this, so again thank you for sharing your success! It motivates me to continue working hard and intelligently at this credit game!

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.