Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think I'm getting AMEX FR'd?

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: I think I'm getting AMEX FR'd?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hauling . . . I think we're seeing the beginning of a new era in credit (and I've been around for quite a while.)  I see every credit card company doing soft pulls monthly or fortnightly by 2015 and not awarding credit limits to customers to hedge their bets.  This would allow the banks to reflect the fluctuations in the financial markets (i.e., the cost of their borrowing) as well as the individual spending patterns of their credit card customers.  Increasingly sophisticated algorithms would assign risk levels that could fluctuate on a daily basis (i.e. tag someone in the middle of a spending spree.)  Certain customers with unspecified risks might need to submit certain documents in advance of an offer of credit.  A few banks may drag their feet on this but they would eventually come on board.

Sure, I can see this happening. I just wanted to confirm that many of us have been softed by AmEx from different location names (can't think of a better term for it.)

I still remember posts from when I first joined that said that you were OK if they softed you from Texas or Florida locations (can't remember the towns), but that a soft from Greensboro NC was the kiss of death. I eventually had a soft from Greensboro and nothing happened.

I'm not sure that there's a pattern in the softs that can reliably predict when the axe is going to drop.

I agree that lenders will move toward concentrating their "favors" on those with what they perceive as the safest credit. That way they (banks) can lose money on other foolish loans. Smiley Tongue

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 11 of 21
OnTheRebound
Established Contributor

I'm an AU on my wifes Amex Green and all her other cards. I manage her accounts as well as mine. Getting the FR is the least of my concerns. If they ask for our Tax returns I'm going to tell them I will submit mine if they submit theirs (to make sure they are worthy of our bussiness).

The rewards on the Green card stink, considering the annual fees and will be closing it before the the next annual fee is due. We have other cards with much better rewards.

Anyway, today is Small Business Saturday. We will be going to lunch on Amex's dime. Spend a minimum $25 at a local independent business and get $25 statement credit.

Amex BCE $11.1 / Citi Diamond Preferred WMC $12K / Citi Double Cash WMC $3.8K / Comenity Total Rewards Visa $2.5K / Citi Home Depot $5K / AU- Amex BCP $12K / Chase Freedom Visa $11014.00 / PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature $6K / GE Lowes $10K
myFico Scores on 10/03/2014
Eq 798 / Exp 811 / Trans 814
CCT Fico 08 on 1/3/16 - Trans 786 / Exp 793 / Eq 797
Message 12 of 21
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

If they want to FR me, they can do so. I have nothing to hide. However, just like Haulingthescoreup, I don't want to provide my tax return information to a private company other than my tax guy. It's none of Amex's business. It's intrusive, and they need to be told just that by us customers!If an outcry went through the gamut of Amex customers, they would carefully consider doing FR to a lot of people. They get away with it because many people think that Amex is superior to other CCC. In my view, they are not. They are nice and ok, though (so far, that's my experience with them).

I've been softed every 14 days from two locations, TX and, if I remember correctly, either UT or CA. Never had anything happen either. I feel monitored, though which is an unpleasant feeling.

Message 13 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I notice allot of the companies ask for household income. Now when I live with my parents I included the ENTIRE household income including mind, witch was close to $180,000 yearly... I never once was asked to prove it. If they did, would I be expected to present my parents tax returns also?

I think the only one I have to worry about that would be CapOne (As I lived with them then). On my latest cards, including Amex I reported mid 20's for my income.

Message 14 of 21
larinoriani
Regular Contributor

I think when they talk about "household income" they mean you and your spouse, not you and your parents. But not sure of their definitions.

Starting Score: EQ 737--TU 742
Nov/2010: EQ 737--TU 742
Nov/2011: TU 753
Goal Score: EQ 800--TU 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually I believe the defination of HHI, is anyone over the age of 15 that is under one roof and generating income.

I think if its spouse only they will say "spouse income".

Message 16 of 21
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

I notice allot of the companies ask for household income. Now when I live with my parents I included the ENTIRE household income including mind, witch was close to $180,000 yearly... I never once was asked to prove it. If they did, would I be expected to present my parents tax returns also?

I think the only one I have to worry about that would be CapOne (As I lived with them then). On my latest cards, including Amex I reported mid 20's for my income.

It's OK to have used your parents' income. That's a legitimate version of HHI.

But if they ever FR you and want your tax forms, I sure as heck wouldn't ask my folks to supply theirs. Smiley Very Happy

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 17 of 21
ChampagneWishes
Valued Member

I've been wondering about this.  My boyfriend and I cohabitate, but don't file together.  I included both of our incomes on my Zync application, before I had read so much about the AmEx FR - it didn't occur to me that I would ever need anything more than possibly a paystub or two.  Now I wish I hadn't included him, because if something happens, I would really hate to ask him for his tax returns.  Hopefully I won't ever need to! Smiley Happy

Photobucket
Message 18 of 21
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Basically, the thing to keep in mind with HHI is whether the incomes in your household are available to pay a debt.

It could be that members combine incomes. It could be that members keep incomes and banking separate, but sometimes go in together on stuff. It could be that members keep income and expenses separate, but if one gets in a bind, the other will come to the rescue.

You have to know yourself (and be honest with yourself) as to whether you can handle the charges on your card with your income alone, but that if the you-know-what, the other HH members would be willing to cover for you.

This could be parents, spouse, SO, or even roomie.

I'd really hate to spring on anyone else under my roof that I was in financial trouble, and oh by the way, I'm counting on their income to cover my shopping charges. Smiley Tongue  This is probably something that needs to be discussed first. Smiley Wink

Message 19 of 21
ChampagneWishes
Valued Member

Exactly!  I actually make a little more than my boyfriend, and my income alone is more than sufficient for all of my needs, but if something DID occur, he'd certainly help me out.  When I first reported our total HHI, I included him because we do share funds for household expenses and we live in a rather high-rent area (didn't know if AmEx takes zip codes into account when analyzing income).  After I read more about FR, I told him that I had reported his income on my app and that there was a chance they might come a-verifying.  He's an AmEx cardholder himself and looked at me like I'm crazy.  And told me I might want to take it easy on the MyFico-ing.  Smiley Happy

Photobucket
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.