Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think I'm over American Express

tag
medo
Frequent Contributor

I think I'm over American Express

I have pathetic limits as is.  I got both the BCE and ED in November, $1000 and $500 respectively.  

AMEX has not been willing to give me CLI's despite demonstrating good use and timely payments of the full balance depsite the 0% interest period.  

I honestly would not mind closing both cards but I feel it is too early to make such a decision.  I feel like AMEX puts themselves on a higher level than other lenders, for no reason other than their name.  

Maybe I'm saying this out of anger, IDK, but I don't sense that me and AMEX have a reasonable relationship as I do with Chase or Discover even.

Message 1 of 49
48 REPLIES 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I think I'm over American Express

Wellllllll you do sound a tad bit angry and November wasnt that long ago Smiley Happy Frustration is understandable but not everyone gets the Amex CLI's easily despite how it looks based on posts around here. Since your starting limits were low I'm thinking it may take a little longer for Amex to warm up to you. Might want to go over their denial reasons.
Message 2 of 49
traveler2005
Established Contributor

@medo wrote:

I have pathetic limits as is.  I got both the BCE and ED in November, $1000 and $500 respectively.  

AMEX has not been willing to give me CLI's despite demonstrating good use and timely payments of the full balance depsite the 0% interest period.  

I honestly would not mind closing both cards but I feel it is too early to make such a decision.  I feel like AMEX puts themselves on a higher level than other lenders, for no reason other than their name.  

Maybe I'm saying this out of anger, IDK, but I don't sense that me and AMEX have a reasonable relationship as I do with Chase or Discover even.

I have had my delta gold 21 months and I am still at my initial credit limie of 1000,   and they put a hard limit on my PRG of 2000.   I don't know if I will every get a cli, but will keep open because back dated to 1984 x 2.    Initial score was 623 and about 40% utization, now 671 12 % utilization and still no increase. Don't know what else to do.

I wish you the best. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: TU 573 Exp 523 Lender Pull, Eq 583
Current Score: TU 673, Exp 664.,Eq 672 04/17/2015 TU 741 Equifax 682 Experian 678

Goal Score: 700 across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Last HP 6/10/2015
Message 3 of 49
medo
Frequent Contributor

@traveler2005 wrote:

@medo wrote:

I have had my delta gold 21 months and I am still at my initial credit limie of 1000,   and they put a hard limit on my PRG of 2000.   I don't know if I will every get a cli, but will keep open because back dated to 1984 x 2.    Initial score was 623 and about 40% utization, now 671 12 % utilization and still no increase. Don't know what else to do.

I wish you the best. Smiley Happy

I have about 16% utilization and my scores are around 670 as well.  You have had your card for almost two full years, and NADDA!?  Is there anything negative on your report, if you dont mind me asking?

Message 4 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

amex is great! i think your opinion will change maybe once your score/report is a little better. patience is the number one factor to establishing excellent credit. the toughest factor for us all to master. Stay strong OP you wont regret it!

Message 5 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

I see what you're talking about.  If you're new to Amex, maybe you need to try and get a better relationship going for a bit longer before closing them out?  Could be all it is.  I kind of feel the same way about one bank and just chill for a while.  Then come back and start swiping, paying maybe half or in full for a few months & they seem to come around.  

Message 6 of 49
dapps06
Frequent Contributor

@medo wrote:

I was approved for the same two cards you were and at the same time, last November. I was given a 1k limit for both. I've also been declined twice for the 3x CLI. I guess it's mostly my fault because I don't put much money through the cards, but you should at least hold off and do what I'm going to do, wait until this November when the accounts are a year old, combine the limits and close one of the cards. At that point you can SD the other one and just let it work towards your utilization.

Message 7 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

Patience, you will be rewarded. They can be tough. 
Message 8 of 49
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@medo wrote:

If they aren't working for you anymore and you've had the cards for a really long time, just move on from them. I got tired of Amex too for many other reasons and also because in the end, I don't think their cards are that special. I've also gotten more out of using both Chase and Discover cards. 

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 9 of 49
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

IMO when you get over the marketing "prestige" of AmEx you'll find they are just another player in the credit card game and if it works for you great if it doesn't then SD the "prestige".  Frankly, I'd say Capital One is more useful as a credit product over AmEx, but I know many will disagree.

Note - as often discussed by me, I am bias when it comes to AmEx as the wonder card.

Message 10 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.