Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think I'm over American Express

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I think I'm over American Express

I'm fine with whatever the limit on my Plat is, charged 3k in less than 30 days and no problem. They do take a while to credit payments. My first payment shows that they have received it but it isn't reducing my outstanding.

Also changing my MSD (not on my CR) to reflect my former card is still being worked on, 2 weeks later...
Message 11 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

It hasn't even been 6 months yet. I'm also curious about whether your frozen reports are affecting things.

Message 12 of 49
black_citi
Established Contributor

I've had my BCE since Oct last year. They told me I need to be with them a year before they give me a credit increase. My SL is 1k. My gold delta I will try and see if I can move that 1k limit onto my bce this oct and I'll close out my delta. I actually want to keep my bce forever. Smiley Happy
Make More, Spend Less
Message 13 of 49
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Wellllllll you do sound a tad bit angry and November wasnt that long ago Smiley Happy Frustration is understandable but not everyone gets the Amex CLI's easily despite how it looks based on posts around here. Since your starting limits were low I'm thinking it may take a little longer for Amex to warm up to you. Might want to go over their denial reasons.

Thank you for pointing this out HF. There is a myth around here that Amex is a magic fairy who gives out CLIs to anyone and everyone. It's simply not true.

For OP....November is only about 6 months ago. You can always use your card longer and try again later. I wouldn't say "I'm over Amex" because you didn't get a CLI. How do you know another lender would have done differently? A CLI is a privilege, not something you are entitled to. Work on the denial reasons and go from there.

Also, the frozen reports probably have something to do with it. This is why I wouldn't freeze my reports. It causes too much grief for too little benefit IMO, but YMMV.

Message 14 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Wellllllll you do sound a tad bit angry and November wasnt that long ago Smiley Happy Frustration is understandable but not everyone gets the Amex CLI's easily despite how it looks based on posts around here. Since your starting limits were low I'm thinking it may take a little longer for Amex to warm up to you. Might want to go over their denial reasons.

Thank you for pointing this out HF. There is a myth around here that Amex is a magic fairy who gives out CLIs to anyone and everyone. It's simply not true.

For OP....November is only about 6 months ago. You can always use your card longer and try again later. I wouldn't say "I'm over Amex" because you didn't get a CLI. How do you know another lender would have done differently? A CLI is a privilege, not something you are entitled to. Work on the denial reasons and go from there.

Also, the frozen reports probably have something to do with it. This is why I wouldn't freeze my reports. It causes too much grief for too little benefit IMO, but YMMV.

I concur and no offense to the OP or others but when your scores are marginally enough to get approved in the first place, you can't expect Amex to extend themselves any more until they see both extended use and improvements in your scores,.  A $1000 credit limit doesn't mean that they want to go to $3K.  This is the downside of the old 61 day CLI thread and 'rule' for Amex CLIs.  Many people were declined for their CLIs but people came to believe that the CLIs were being handed out like Halloween candy..  Still no reason to 'give up' on them or any other creditor.

Message 15 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't have enough experience with Amex yet to really make a judgement call here, I'm going to try for the 3x CLI next week at the 61 day mark, however I am not expecting to get it, because they already have given me my highest CL so far. However, I can understand your frustration a little, I am starting to feel that way about Discover somewhat. I've had that card since October 2013 and they don't seem to want to budge past $750 Smiley Indifferent Oh well, I still find the card useful, and use the bonus categories most of the time.

Message 16 of 49
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

Got my Hilton card in October, no cli. Ever. They are by far my lowest limit at 2k next lowest is 7k with highest being 30k. I just SD the card will use once every 6 months or when staying at the Hilton (not that 2k will cover the room charges..).

Will use cards just enough to keep open and make AFs worth the card (PRG). Have to maintain the backdated accounts Smiley Tongue You are not alone OP.
If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 17 of 49
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

Data point, EX is frozen and has FA on it. I don't micro manage my lines, several cards will report a balance at any time.

Should have added to the above post but didn't think about it until after. I am on mobile and editing is horrible on mobile..
If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 18 of 49
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@medo wrote:

I have pathetic limits as is.  I got both the BCE and ED in November, $1000 and $500 respectively.  

AMEX has not been willing to give me CLI's despite demonstrating good use and timely payments of the full balance depsite the 0% interest period.  

If you're unhappy with your limits the problem isn't the creditor -- it's your credit.  Your limits and CLI's are based on your credit and income with any creditor.  Do not rely on usage despite how often it's stated as having a causal relationship with CLI's here on myFICO.  If you're not getting the CLI's then you need to use the reason(s) for denial a a starting point and work on your credit.

Even if you have higher limits with another creditor you have to keep in mind that your credit is not static and could have been very different from when you applied for the higher limit card versus the lower limit card.  Additionally, creditors do have differing underwriting criteria so they can be willing to extend different offers even to the same credit profile.

My highest limit card is much higher than yours and my scores are typically right around the 800 mark but even I have received low limits based on recent activity with my profile.  I could have just reacted in response based on emotion and closed them but I've been able to get all those limits increased over time.  How you handle this is your call to make but if you think you're reacting in anger then leave the decision until you've had a chance to calm down and consider it rationally.

@medo wrote:

I feel like AMEX puts themselves on a higher level than other lenders, for no reason other than their name.  

....and don't rely on "prestige", image, status etc from a card or creditor.  AmEx is just another creditor.  They count on people assuming that they're "on a higher level".

Always base your decisions on specific cards and how useful they are to you.

If you want to rely on image that's your call but image isn't going to get you CLI's either.

@medo wrote:

Maybe I'm saying this out of anger, IDK, but I don't sense that me and AMEX have a reasonable relationship as I do with Chase or Discover even.

Don't count on "relationship" either.  These are corporations, not friends or family.  It's all business and all about assessing risk based on your credit profile.

IMO you've already taken the hits to AAoA and inquiries so you might as well make use of these and build your credit.  3x CLI's are certainly possible but your credit has to support them.  As is always stated here, it's a marathon and not a sprint.  If you're going to give up the towel after a few months then you need to readjust your mindset and expectations.  Building/rebuilding is a long, slow process.  A few months isn't any amount of time in the world of credit.

Message 19 of 49
EdMan63
Established Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

@medo wrote:

I have pathetic limits as is.  I got both the BCE and ED in November, $1000 and $500 respectively.  

AMEX has not been willing to give me CLI's despite demonstrating good use and timely payments of the full balance depsite the 0% interest period.  

If you're unhappy with your limits the problem isn't the creditor -- it's your credit.  Your limits and CLI's are based on your credit and income with any creditor.  Do not rely on usage despite how often it's stated as having a causal relationship with CLI's here on myFICO.  If you're not getting the CLI's then you need to use the reason(s) for denial a a starting point and work on your credit.

Even if you have higher limits with another creditor you have to keep in mind that your credit is not static and could have been very different from when you applied for the higher limit card versus the lower limit card.  Additionally, creditors do have differing underwriting criteria so they can be willing to extend different offers even to the same credit profile.

My highest limit card is much higher than yours and my scores are typically right around the 800 mark but even I have received low limits based on recent activity with my profile.  I could have just reacted in response based on emotion and closed them but I've been able to get all those limits increased over time.  How you handle this is your call to make but if you think you're reacting in anger then leave the decision until you've had a chance to calm down and consider it rationally.

@medo wrote:

I feel like AMEX puts themselves on a higher level than other lenders, for no reason other than their name.  

....and don't rely on "prestige", image, status etc from a card or creditor.  AmEx is just another creditor.  They count on people assuming that they're "on a higher level".

Always base your decisions on specific cards and how useful they are to you.

If you want to rely on image that's your call but image isn't going to get you CLI's either.

@medo wrote:

Maybe I'm saying this out of anger, IDK, but I don't sense that me and AMEX have a reasonable relationship as I do with Chase or Discover even.

Don't count on "relationship" either.  These are corporations, not friends or family.  It's all business and all about assessing risk based on your credit profile.

IMO you've already taken the hits to AAoA and inquiries so you might as well make use of these and build your credit.  3x CLI's are certainly possible but your credit has to support them.  As is always stated here, it's a marathon and not a sprint.  If you're going to give up the towel after a few months then you need to readjust your mindset and expectations.  Building/rebuilding is a long, slow process.  A few months isn't any amount of time in the world of credit.

+1000!!!!

Message 20 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.