Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think I messed up

tag
chwebb1
Established Contributor

I think I messed up

I saw that Newegg offered a "Preferred Account powered by Bill Me Later", and I have a BML account, so I thought that I could add my BML account to Newegg that way. When I tried to add the account, I selected "Yes, I already had an account", and entered the info from my BML. After I submitted, a screen came up and said "We couldn't approve you for a Preferred account", and the email I got said "We couldn't approve you for incomplete information". Yeah, I definitely didn't want to apply for one. I think I'm going to be sick. My 6 months with Barclays is coming up soon. I really don't want to lose that account over this. Did I take a HP because I thought I could add BML to Newegg?

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: I think I messed up

@chwebb1 wrote:

I saw that Newegg offered a "Preferred Account powered by Bill Me Later", and I have a BML account, so I thought that I could add my BML account to Newegg that way. When I tried to add the account, I selected "Yes, I already had an account", and entered the info from my BML. After I submitted, a screen came up and said "We couldn't approve you for a Preferred account", and the email I got said "We couldn't approve you for incomplete information". Yeah, I definitely didn't want to apply for one. I think I'm going to be sick. My 6 months with Barclays is coming up soon. I really don't want to lose that account over this. Did I take a HP because I thought I could add BML to Newegg?

1. they don't pull TU even if you did.

2. doesn't sound like it verified, which to me means it didn't pull.

Message 2 of 16
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

One HP isn't going to scare Barclays, the people that get CLD or other AA, are the ones that AP and recieve 5+ cards with in 6 months. But since I could get AP fever I refushe to AP for anything Barclays has. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 3 of 16
chwebb1
Established Contributor

I already had 3 new accounts after Barclays, so I feel like I might have pushed the envelope too much anyway (I did close 2 though, one from the 3 card spree and one other card).

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
Message 4 of 16
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@chwebb1 wrote:

1. they don't pull TU even if you did.

2. doesn't sound like it verified, which to me means it didn't pull.

+1

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 5 of 16
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Hopefully you have learned opening and then closing cards hurts your credit not just in score. If you apply for a card and it goes to manual review they see you open accounts and then shortly close them is frowned on. Applying for a card that has a purpose for the long haul is the best policy. 

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 6 of 16
chwebb1
Established Contributor

@coldnmn wrote:

Hopefully you have learned opening and then closing cards hurts your credit not just in score. If you apply for a card and it goes to manual review they see you open accounts and then shortly close them is frowned on. Applying for a card that has a purpose for the long haul is the best policy. 

For what it's worth, I intended to keep the card when I applied for it. When I saw the APR and credit line, and experienced the customer service (or lack thereof), I decided to cut my losses. I think the fact that I've never done that to any of my other cards shows that the fact I closed it a few months after I opened it was an unusual occurence.

Message 7 of 16
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

Someone correct me if I have mistaken.  But the mere fact of receiving a credit card in the mail or approved does not activate a tradeline UNTIL the card user activates the account. 

When you receive a card in the mail you should have read the terms and conditionas with all the conditions of benefits.   At that point you can choose NOT to activate the card and there would be no need to cancel the account. 

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 8 of 16
chwebb1
Established Contributor

@Fico2Go wrote:

Someone correct me if I have mistaken.  But the mere fact of receiving a credit card in the mail or approved does not activate a tradeline UNTIL the card user activates the account. 

When you receive a card in the mail you should have read the terms and conditionas with all the conditions of benefits.   At that point you can choose NOT to activate the card and there would be no need to cancel the account. 

I am not sure about Chase, but I know that my Barclaycard reported to my CR before I even received the card. When Chase showed me the CL and APR when I applied, I likely should have called and retracted my application, although I figured I had already taken the hard pull, so I might as well try to make it work.

Message 9 of 16
Rikku
Regular Contributor

@Fico2Go wrote:

When I was in college, I applied for a Discover card. After applying, I decided that I didn't want a third CC and never activated it. It reported for three years before the account for closed for inactivity.

It's actually still on my CR - my other two CC TLs from college (ones that I actually used and then closed - apparently a couple years before the Discover was closed) fell off this year.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.