cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think I might have too many credit cards...

tag
Luis135
Established Member

Re: I think I might have too many credit cards...

After I close the store cards how long should I wait till I request for any CLI on any other cards? 

What are my chances of getting PC'd to It and a CLI? How long should I wait? 

Also Whats wrong with Credit one? 

Message 11 of 36
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

First of all, closing your store cards will affect your util. Are you trying to close your cc's for better scores?
Message 12 of 36
Luis135
Established Member

@NJTurnpike wrote:

@Luis135 wrote:

Hi first post but been lurking. I love these forumsSmiley Wink

So I think I've reached a point where I have too many credit cards. I've listed the type of cards limits and dates when I got them. 

My goal is to get some CLI on some of the stronger cards and do away with some weaker cards. (Is this a good idea to close any of them?) 

Obviously I went on an app spree November 2012 which hurt my score pretty bad, and I've incurred a balance on some of these. 

I am however paying them off respectively. Im planning on buying a house here in about 2 years when alot fo these inquries go away as well.

Any suggestions? 

Charge Cards

AU - Amex Green - December 2012

AU - Amex Gold - February 2013 

Credit Cards 

Chase Sapphire   $5,000   November 2012 

BankAmeriCard Platinum Visa $1,000 October 2010 

Discover Cashbook Bonus  $1,000 November 2012 

Capital One Journey $750 Augusts 2011 

Capital One Cash Rewards MC $500 November 2012

Citi  Thankyou $500 November 2012 

Creditone Bank $500 October 2011 

Store Cards 

Walmart  $900 November 2012 

Gap $400 November 2012 

Target $300 November 2012 

Macys $300 November 2012 

Dillars $600 November 2012 

The Home Depot $500 November 2012 

Lowe's $500 November 2012 

Express $250 July 2012 

I woud recommend gettting rid of all the store cards except maybe walmart. CreditOne get rid of for sure and Capital one journey. Then email EO for cap1 and ask for a CLI on the other cap1 card. Get your discover PC'd to Discover IT and ask for a CLI along the way.

Once your other creditors are able to see on your report the store cards are closed, they may be more inclined to give you CLI's. those store cards really are useless. the spend that you might put on them would be better put on a card that gives you decent rewards, of which you have a few.

@NJTurnpike wrote:

@Luis135 wrote:

Hi first post but been lurking. I love these forumsSmiley Wink

So I think I've reached a point where I have too many credit cards. I've listed the type of cards limits and dates when I got them. 

My goal is to get some CLI on some of the stronger cards and do away with some weaker cards. (Is this a good idea to close any of them?) 

Obviously I went on an app spree November 2012 which hurt my score pretty bad, and I've incurred a balance on some of these. 

I am however paying them off respectively. Im planning on buying a house here in about 2 years when alot fo these inquries go away as well.

Any suggestions? 

Charge Cards

AU - Amex Green - December 2012

AU - Amex Gold - February 2013 

Credit Cards 

Chase Sapphire   $5,000   November 2012 

BankAmeriCard Platinum Visa $1,000 October 2010 

Discover Cashbook Bonus  $1,000 November 2012 

Capital One Journey $750 Augusts 2011 

Capital One Cash Rewards MC $500 November 2012

Citi  Thankyou $500 November 2012 

Creditone Bank $500 October 2011 

Store Cards 

Walmart  $900 November 2012 

Gap $400 November 2012 

Target $300 November 2012 

Macys $300 November 2012 

Dillars $600 November 2012 

The Home Depot $500 November 2012 

Lowe's $500 November 2012 

Express $250 July 2012 

I woud recommend gettting rid of all the store cards except maybe walmart. CreditOne get rid of for sure and Capital one journey. Then email EO for cap1 and ask for a CLI on the other cap1 card. Get your discover PC'd to Discover IT and ask for a CLI along the way.

Once your other creditors are able to see on your report the store cards are closed, they may be more inclined to give you CLI's. those store cards really are useless. the spend that you might put on them would be better put on a card that gives you decent rewards, of which you have a few.

After I close the store cards how long should I wait till I request for any CLI on any other cards? 

What are my chances of getting PC'd to It and a CLI? How long should I wait? 

Also Whats wrong with Credit one?

Message 13 of 36
dodfire
Valued Contributor

Credit One the last I saw had an APR of 24.9% and annual fee of $99 billed $8.25 per month.

Or is your card?

*8/10/13
Message 14 of 36
Luis135
Established Member

@dodfire wrote:

Credit One the last I saw had an APR of 24.9% and annual fee of $99 billed $8.25 per month.

Or is your card?

Yeahh.. I should probably close that one after all lol. 

Message 15 of 36
Luis135
Established Member

@09Lexie wrote:
First of all, closing your store cards will affect your util. Are you trying to close your cc's for better scores?

Yes would closing the store cards help my credit profile any? 

Message 16 of 36
scottwagnon
Valued Contributor

DONT TOSS capital one journey; that was BAD advice. DO TOSS credit one. and toss walmart and home depot because those are bad companies to do business with. keep the closed walmart card for the free fico score.

earth air water fire master visa express discover
Message 17 of 36
dodfire
Valued Contributor

@Luis135 wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

Again, as several people have asked you. What is your GOAL?

Closing them can help you or it can hurt you depending on what you are trying to do and what your spending / payment habits are.

*8/10/13
Message 18 of 36
dodfire
Valued Contributor

@scottwagnon wrote:

DONT TOSS capital one journey; that was BAD advice. DO TOSS credit one. and toss walmart and home depot because those are bad companies to do business with. keep the closed walmart card for the free fico score.

WHAT?????????????

Im sorry but I must disagree with this.

*8/10/13
Message 19 of 36
Luis135
Established Member

@dodfire wrote:

@Luis135 wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

Again, as several people have asked you. What is your GOAL?

Closing them can help you or it can hurt you depending on what you are trying to do and what your spending / payment habits are.

Well I would basically like to get some CLI on some of the stronger cards I have.

Also I am planning on buying a home in 2 years. 

Finally I would also like to get at least one Amex revolving card

Those are my goals. 

Would closing any store cards do any good? 

Message 20 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.