Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think I need a break

tag
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

I think I need a break

From this forum! lol.  I only have 10 mos history, 2 secured cards one with BOFA the other with NFCU and I also have another NFCU unsecured card.  I also have one last baddie for a small amount due to fall off May 2013.  My scores are in my sig as of last month maybe higher this month cause 3 inquiries hit a year so who knows if I got a small bump.  My goal is in 2 mos try to unsecure the bofa which prob wont get a cli cause of the last baddie but who knows and get NFCU to also unsecure the secured card with a cli and also bump my plat card with them.  Hopefully I can get one of those cards to at least 5k limit so come May when my last baddie falls off I can app for the freedom and CSP.  Granted I'll only have 18 mos history but thats all I can offer right now

Whats killing me is all these success stories with chase lately on recons and some barclays but I dont know if I want barclays still unsure on that one.  The only stepping out of the garden Im going to do is use a couple hp's to unsecure the bofa and nfcu card until that baddie falls off.  I just want to be in the best position possible before apping IE. no baddies and low util.

Anyone else feel this way?

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: I think I need a break

I was able to pretty much unilaterally ignore the success stories here and stick to my plan, but now even with my ludicirously rational nature I get tempted and antsy looking at the approvals here sometimes.  

I haven't been as active on the forums lately and that's calming me down a little bit, but with things seemingly falling into my lap several months ahead of my tentative schedule, I'm sorta raring to go even though I know my profile will look better in December.  That said, post BOFA rewards package and some forex card which doesn't completely suck if I get stuck going to Europe, there really isn't anything I need right now except hopefully an Amex for backdating purposes.

But seeing all those rather marvelous Freedom approvals.... sigh.  Tempted to eat the inquiry as a "Merry Christmas" type  present as I'm pretty certain I can at least get a starter limit card with them at that point, but I have to keep telling myself I just won't get approved right now for one, over and over again seemingly.

        
Message 2 of 15
HenryJumbo
Regular Contributor

Hang in there, and if you do take a break PLEASE don't be one of those users who disappear only to come back hating the impulsive decision you made. Be strong your plan will happen in time. I have FICO scores (myfico.com) well above 720, and only two cards (Amex, Freedom) with none over 5k. I'm dying to get a card with 5k, but I'll play it cool and wait until my time to get it. This past week two users posted on the CLI luv they got from Amex (over 5k), meanwhile I'm sitting her trying not to get another card. But I'll be fine, in the end my credit will be better off.

Starting Score: EX: 736 FAKO | TU: 757 FICO | EQ 730 FICO
Current Score: EX: 736 FAKO | TU: 750 FICO | EQ 730 FICO
Goal Score:     EX: 750 FICO | TU: 750 FICO | EQ: 750 FICO
In my wallet:  $16,000  $8,000
Message 3 of 15
Crashem
Valued Contributor

These forums are weird.  For some they are helpful.  It is a source of info.  It can be a support group to help people stay strong in good credit decisions.  But for others, it is akin to an alcoholic going to a bar.  Temptation after temptation.  Hopefully the forum is helpful to you.  Btw, henryjumbo, when is your 61 day Amex cli date?

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 4 of 15
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Also, pretty sure forum helped me fall off wagon by "making" me apply for us bank cash+ early yesterday.  Was planning on apping late this year or early next.  Luckily it worked out as they pulled equifax which is golden for me as everyone wants to pull experian here in California.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 5 of 15
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Im pretty firm on my plan right now.  If I did app for anything more then likely would be approved for a decent prime with a low limit.  Might as well wait cause im not dying to get my hands on another card.  Temptation just starts itching me when I read especially lately freedom recons and what not.  But im sticking to my plan to hopefully obtain some decent limits with NFCU that way I can more then likely get some decent limits with good rewards card down the road.

There are alot of smart members here who know when to app stay in the garden and there are others who shouldnt be apping and they know it and do it anyways and get declined then come here looking for advice on what to do and I dont want to be the bad guy and say I told you so.

I didnt create this thread to complain or anything of that nature just seeing if anybody feels the way I do nor is this a garden club meeting lol.

BTW Revelate was it complecated adding the 123 package to BOFA secured?  Im planning on doing that when I request it unsecure

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 6 of 15
HenryJumbo
Regular Contributor

@Crashem wrote:

when is your 61 day Amex cli date?

My 61 (from approval email date) is the 4th of next month. I might apply or wait a while. I really, really dont' want to get FR Smiley Frustrated

Starting Score: EX: 736 FAKO | TU: 757 FICO | EQ 730 FICO
Current Score: EX: 736 FAKO | TU: 750 FICO | EQ 730 FICO
Goal Score:     EX: 750 FICO | TU: 750 FICO | EQ: 750 FICO
In my wallet:  $16,000  $8,000
Message 7 of 15
tcbofade
Super Contributor

@Crashem wrote:

These forums are weird.  For some they are helpful.  It is a source of info.  It can be a support group to help people stay strong in good credit decisions.  But for others, it is akin to an alcoholic going to a bar.  Temptation after temptation.  Hopefully the forum is helpful to you.  Btw, henryjumbo, when is your 61 day Amex cli date?

...and for some of us, it's both!  Smiley Tongue

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 8 of 15
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Eh, I got too much plastic so I just sit back and be glad for people getting what they want in their credit journeys.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 15
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I'm extremely thankful for this forum and the fact that I've attained the credit level I've been seeking since I began to build my credit.

Number one rule: be responsible!

Furthermore, credit approval still semi-primarily depends on your credit score, etc. If you have a 630-670'ish score, you could likely get a Chase/Barclaycard, assuming all other factors fall into place for them...aaoa, util, inquiries, current CLs.

I gardened a solid six months before I app'ed and got my Freedom on recon for $5k.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.