cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think I survived my 6th month at Barclays.

tag
ilovelisa
Established Contributor

I think I survived my 6th month at Barclays.

My 6th statement came out yesterday, and there is no message on it or online that they have closed my account. I also got a CLI to $2000 a month ago.  Does this mean that I survived the 6th month check? I have opened a bunch of accounts since I opened theirs in December 2012, most of them are closed now, and I have 26 inquiries on TU.

Amex BCE $10,000 | BofA Power Rewards WMC $10,000 | Discover It $10,000 | ICBC Preferred Gold UnionPay $8,000 | Local CU Visa $3,500
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

Re: I think I survived my 6th month at Barclays.

I think you're good, lol.

My Wallet:
AMEX Platinum | Discover It $20.3k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $16k | Chase United $12k | AMEX SimplyCash Plus Business $11.6k | AMEX Schwab $9k | AMEX BCEP $8.2k | Citi Costco Anywhere Visa $8k | Chase Amazon Visa $8k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Chase Freedom $5k | Citi Simplicity $5k | Paypal Extras Platinum $5k | Wells Fargo $5k | Citi Best Buy $4.2k | Citi Visa Signature $3k | Care Credit $3k
Message 2 of 10
NonSufficientFunds
Frequent Contributor

@ilovelisa wrote:

I have opened a bunch of accounts since I opened theirs in December 2012, most of them are closed now, and I have 26 inquiries on TU.

Why would you open "a bunch of accounts" within six months, and then close them - were they closed by you or the creditors?

Also, 26 inquiries on one credit report seems extremely desperate, and I would be surprised if Barclay didn't give you closer scrutiny - let alone granting an increase in CL.

Message 3 of 10
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@ilovelisa wrote:

My 6th statement came out yesterday, and there is no message on it or online that they have closed my account. I also got a CLI to $2000 a month ago.  Does this mean that I survived the 6th month check? I have opened a bunch of accounts since I opened theirs in December 2012, most of them are closed now, and I have 26 inquiries on TU.

Are you apping as hobby ?  Why would you app for cards to close them ?  I am confused Smiley Surprised

Message 4 of 10
goosedog
Regular Contributor

I have him beat. I have 30 INQ on EQ, 25 on TU and 13 on EXP. Howver I did get approved for 95% of the cards I applied for.

Message 5 of 10
ilovelisa
Established Contributor

I was apping for cards with GE, I apped for Gap, TJ Maxx, AE, and Old Navy hoping to get the Visa or MC version. I was approved for all of them, but as store cards only, the highest limit was at TJ Maxx, for $300. I know they would have grown but I did not want to have to keep up with those 4 new accounts, so I closed them.

Amex BCE $10,000 | BofA Power Rewards WMC $10,000 | Discover It $10,000 | ICBC Preferred Gold UnionPay $8,000 | Local CU Visa $3,500
Message 6 of 10
goosedog
Regular Contributor

It's not hard to keep up with the cards. I got a bunch of GE cards recently too (JCPENNY, CHEVRON, GAP, OLD NAVY, BANA REP,ETC). I used them, paid them off and now just gonna let them sit for  3,4 months than use them, charge something minor like 20 dollars for a shirt or something to show some activity so the cards do not close.  People are under the impression you HAVE to use the card to keep it open. That's not true. I have a CARCAREONE account from GE for car repairs. I have a 1500 limit. Haven't used the card once in about a year. Its in my sockdrawer incase I have unexpected car repairs (who doesn't these days). The account is still showing active.

Message 7 of 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

@ilovelisa wrote:

Congrats for cutting back and not adding any more accounts you had us worried for a minute Lol 

That being said I think you will be ok with Barclay WTG

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 8 of 10
spengbab
Regular Contributor

I think in the past 2 years I've taken about almost 15 inqs, barclaycard was my 2nd card to get (was only the 2nd pull). People fear the big bad barlcays taking AA on your account but they have not done that to me and increased my credit limit from 1400 to 2100 at the 8th month mark. 

Barclaycard Apple Financing (2100), Discover More (2500), US Bank Visa Platinum (2000), CFNA (2200), Chase Freedom (500), Capital One (1500), HSBC Platinum Master Card (750), Nebraska Furniture Mart (1000)
Message 9 of 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Yay! ilovelisa I was worried about you back then but I'm glad it worked out for you.

To the posters asking why so many apps/ accts? OP, had an addiction and seems like its cured now. We are so proud of you.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.