cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think Merrick Bank has run it's course for me. Close?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I think Merrick Bank has run it's course for me. Close?

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I've had a Merrick card for 3.5 years and have not had a CLI on it for 2 years. I have put a little something on the card each month I've had it and either PIF or carried a balance for a month or two. I'm considering paying off my $160 balance and closing it. CL is $2.3k   Seems there is nothing to grow from it anymore and I could do without the hassle of making a $3 payment each month.

I've had my Merrick Visa for 4 years and got it up to $3100 CL, but yeah it's been at least 2 years since I've had a CLI - but I don't expect one, I've only been charging $20-30 per month on it with Netflix & another small monthly bill. I've definitely outgrown it with CCs with rewards & much higher CLs, but I'm happy to keep it, it's never had any fees so why toss it? When you say "the hassle of making a $3 payment each month" - are those account fees? If mine had any fees I'd definitely shut it down, I've also outgrown paying anyone to have their card.

I've had mine for 2 years now. Got an increase only once at the 7-month mark to $1800. I'm leaning toward keeping it a little longer. Mine never had an annual fee and I like the fico score feature.

Message 11 of 18
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I've had mine since August 2012, here is my rundown -

Merrick - 24.2% - 8/20/12 - $1000. - 7/2013 - $1200. (Auto) 10/28/13 - $1600. (auto)

It's been over 2 years since I've received a CLI. I'm giving it a lot of use this month and will let balances report for the next few months to see if that wakes the card up. I'll live it if doesn't.  I usually just keep it hidden in my car as a back up card incase I end up out without my wallet (learned after it happened once). The doesn't have an AF so I'll keep it open. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I was gonna pay it off and be done with it, but only sent them a $50 payment, since I don't care and am not striving or expecting a CLI any time soon. Figured the extra $110 toward Christmas was better. I'll kill it off after the holiday season.

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I've had a Merrick card for 3.5 years and have not had a CLI on it for 2 years. I have put a little something on the card each month I've had it and either PIF or carried a balance for a month or two. I'm considering paying off my $160 balance and closing it. CL is $2.3k   Seems there is nothing to grow from it anymore and I could do without the hassle of making a $3 payment each month.

arlo777.  It looks like you have outgrown Merrick now.  You have gotten some wonderful cards and great SL, Merrick will never add up.  Congrats to you for all your successes! 

Message 14 of 18
BigBS
Senior Contributor

Have been having the same feelings.  Called the CSR with the intention of moving the CL to my BBR and wound up doing a PC to the Cash Rewards card.  It's marginally better, has the benefit of direct deposit into my BOA account for the added 10%, but not sure it will be enough to keep me there long term.  Figured I would give it between 3 and 6 months before deciding.

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 15 of 18
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I'm looking at the Merrick website. I don't see many card options listed. Just secured and unsecured. Do they have more than they show? Mine is just their regular card with no AF.  Not that it would matter much but many I could PC to something better if they offer it. Or at least to a card that looks better Smiley Happy 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 16 of 18
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@masscredit wrote:

I'm looking at the Merrick website. I don't see many card options listed. Just secured and unsecured. Do they have more than they show? Mine is just their regular card with no AF.  Not that it would matter much but many I could PC to something better if they offer it. Or at least to a card that looks better Smiley Happy 

I think BigBS confused Merrick with Bank of America. Easy enough to do, but no, Merrick Bank is definately no BoA, and all they have is secured & unsecured Visa - and you have to be invited to app for either of them. And don't even think of asking them for anything, like a CLI or lower APR, Merrick customers aren't allowed to ask for anything.

Message 17 of 18
BigBS
Senior Contributor

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@masscredit wrote:

I think BigBS confused Merrick with Bank of America. Easy enough to do, but no, Merrick Bank is definately no BoA, and all they have is secured & unsecured Visa - and you have to be invited to app for either of them. And don't even think of asking them for anything, like a CLI or lower APR, Merrick customers aren't allowed to ask for anything.

You're right I did. Smiley Very Happy

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.