cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think Merrick Bank has run it's course for me. Close?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think Merrick Bank has run it's course for me. Close?

I've had a Merrick card for 3.5 years and have not had a CLI on it for 2 years. I have put a little something on the card each month I've had it and either PIF or carried a balance for a month or two. I'm considering paying off my $160 balance and closing it. CL is $2.3k   Seems there is nothing to grow from it anymore and I could do without the hassle of making a $3 payment each month.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Re: I think Merrick Bank has run it's course for me. Close?

Close it and move on. Merrick doesn't reach very high as far as CL's go. I'm sure you have better cards and Merrick helped you get to where you are, but it did its job and it's time to retire it. No need to pay the AF on a card with no rewards or prospects of better limits.
Message 2 of 18
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

I had mine for 5 1/2 years I think.  Mine did get higher than yours did.  I also got tired of the monthly fee.  Mine was the secured version.  I have to say I tried to do anything and everything to get them to unsecure me and change the fee structure but was never successful.  I do wish they did grow better with people as their profiles changed.  It would be nice if they offered a rewards card that one could PC or graduate into.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 3 of 18
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've had a Merrick card for 3.5 years and have not had a CLI on it for 2 years. I have put a little something on the card each month I've had it and either PIF or carried a balance for a month or two. I'm considering paying off my $160 balance and closing it. CL is $2.3k   Seems there is nothing to grow from it anymore and I could do without the hassle of making a $3 payment each month.

I've had my Merrick Visa for 4 years and got it up to $3100 CL, but yeah it's been at least 2 years since I've had a CLI - but I don't expect one, I've only been charging $20-30 per month on it with Netflix & another small monthly bill. I've definitely outgrown it with CCs with rewards & much higher CLs, but I'm happy to keep it, it's never had any fees so why toss it? When you say "the hassle of making a $3 payment each month" - are those account fees? If mine had any fees I'd definitely shut it down, I've also outgrown paying anyone to have their card.

Message 4 of 18
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

It has served it purpose then some.. Close it as you are past the card.. Good re-builder card indeed.

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

It has served it purpose then some.. Close it as you are past the card.. Good re-builder card indeed.

+1

Message 6 of 18
ddemari
Super Contributor

Good rebuilder card and nice that they give FICO 08 TU bankcard credit score but at some point they ran their course for you. I used Merrick Visa for a little one year, got better cards and then closed it out. 

Message 7 of 18
NichelleN
Established Contributor

I closed my Merrick after one year. It was great for rebuilding but it was time to move on.

More than enough credit.
Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome to the club.
Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TiggerDat wrote:

I had mine for 5 1/2 years I think.  Mine did get higher than yours did.  I also got tired of the monthly fee.  Mine was the secured version.  I have to say I tried to do anything and everything to get them to unsecure me and change the fee structure but was never successful.  I do wish they did grow better with people as their profiles changed.  It would be nice if they offered a rewards card that one could PC or graduate into.

It sucks, but Merrick Bank has no desire to move into the prime market. Unfortunately, there will always be people rebuilding or folks that never learn to play the credit game.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.