cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think its time for some Card optimization?

tag
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: I think its time for some Card optimization?

@Anonymous wrote:

Now I will admit I’ve been getting cards that look cool rather than maximizing rewardsSmiley Indifferent( hasnt gone too poorly actually). I want to change that!

@Anonymous wrote:

Have I failed to consider a card?

It would really help to start with your major spend categories and your volume on each to see if you're covered on those.  Are you only considering cash back cards?  It seems like you're interested in a "catch-all" card for categories that aren't covered by other cards -- is that correct?

@Anonymous wrote:

How many freaking cards do you guys carry?

Doesn't matter what others carry.  You have to determine what works for you.  You need to balance the number of cards that you need to maximize your rewards versus what you can reasonably manage.

@Anonymous wrote:

Looking at the market it looks like ( even though I don’t want to ) I should SD my Amex and get a Salime card. Thoughts on this? Not really a Salime on principal, and I refuse to get a BOA card either. I dislike both institutions.

The market doesn't matter.  Again, it's what suits you that matters.  There's a chart floating around comparing rewards versus different levels of spend for the BCE, BCP and Sallie Mae (and dual Sallie Maes).  It doesn't take the old Blue Cash into account which can be better suited to even high amounts of spend.  If you don't want to do the math yourself you should refer to the chart.

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I think its time for some Card optimization?

While I'm not getting 100% of what I could get back, I use my Freedom and CSP. I do eat out a lot so the CSP is nice there. But I don't go for others because I'd rather focus on building up all the points under one roof. Yes I could get a little more back from fuel 6 months of the year (Freedom has 5% two quarters) and on what little I spend on groceries, but to me being able to use all my points under the same roof outweighs a little extra cash back.

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.