cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I thought Freedom didn't work at Walmart for groceries?

tag
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

I thought Freedom didn't work at Walmart for groceries?

https://creditcards.chase.com/freedom/FAQ.aspx#Efive1

According to that link, under examples of qualifying grocery purchases, WALMART grocery purchases are listed as exceptable for the 5% cash back on groceries. Anyone verify that? And are there any typical grocery store purchases that don't qualfiy? toiletries? Baby goods like diapers? Cleaning products and paper isles?

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I thought Freedom didn't work at Walmart for groceries?

It may depend on the actual location... Maybe the "big-box" stores don't count, but the Neighborhood models do (just a guess). I'd confirm, but I can't seem to find an itemized statement for rewards earnings.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

It matters how the transaction is coded. Some registers code as discount, some as grocery. It's best to do a little trial and error.
Message 3 of 9
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

It does depend on the store. If it's a WM that has a grocery dept. and it's coded as such, then the groceries will count. Not sure if other mdse would, though.

There's a local store that, like WM, has a grocery dept., but also has other depts (electronics, toys, etc.) The grocery purchases I made there were coded as groceries.

Chase told me that I would have to test out each store to see how the purchase was coded *by the store* (Chase does NOT do the coding.)They could NOT tell me in advance if it would count as grocery for the 5%.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 4 of 9
jordanmedical
Established Contributor

Most Walmart and Target supercenter transactions will come up at grocery, but it does depend on how the store decides to code themselves.

-Rebuilding with CapOne Cash: $1.5k, NFCU cashRewards $8.5K, NavCheck $5K, Wal-Mart: $1.1K, Sam's: $1.2K, Amazon: $1.9K, Apple Barclay: $3K, Haverty's: $1.5K, GE capital: $5K, Sears: $250(AU), PP MC:$1.5K, CareCredit:$3K (closed 1st home 05/08/13)
Starting Score: 492-TU04, 480-EX FICO V2, 467-EQ Beacon 5 (Via Mortgage PreQual March '12)
Current Score: EX,EQ,TU (lender pull): 652, 659, 689, Walmart TU FICO: 691 (05/13)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 9
elpo9
Regular Contributor

+1. Super Walmarts (sell groceries) are counted by Freedom. Regular are not necessarily.

NFCU (7000) | Freedom Visa (2400) | DM (2500) | AMEX Plat (7000) | Amazon.com (1800) | GapCard ($750) | Closed: Barclays (1500) | Cap1 ($750) | BoA 1-2-3 Rewards (2500) | Gardening til mid-autumn 2015 for that Delta Platinum AMEX

Starting Score: 608 (2015) 702 (2012), 653 (2011)
Current Score: 685 699 8/6/11 717 8/30/11 712 12/6/11 714 across the board 1/12/12 685 EX FICO 3/1/14
2018 Goal Score: 715

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

i saw on my amazon visa annual summery walmart spent1k+ in 2011 wish i got 2x points
Message 7 of 9
Meltdownblitz
Frequent Contributor

I'm not sure about on the Freedom card, but for BCP, I checked the other day and "Walmart Neighborhood Market" was categorized under the "Groceries" category. So I'm guessing it should be the same for the Chase freedom, the neighborhood walmart markets seem to be coded as Grocery stores.

Barclays Uber - 4% Restaurants, 2% Online Purchases/Everyday Card || PenFed Cash - 5% Gas || Amazon Visa Signature - 5% Amazon || U.S. Bank Cash+ - 5% Utilities, 5% Cable/Internet || AMEX BCP - 6% Groceries || WF Cash - Cell Insurance || Rotating 5% Categories - Chase Freedom, Discover It, Citi Dividend || AMEX Zync - For Fun!

Message 8 of 9
skoop
New Contributor

I was told by customer service when I activiated my card, that Walmart counted and that if I were to even buy a TV, if I paid at the front, instead of in the department, that it would count.  I don't know if this is accurate, but that is what I was told.  I guess that would mean that all items, clothing, applicances, etc would count,

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.