cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I tried finding it, but couldn't... (credit cards)

tag
IneedAlotOfHelp
Established Member

I tried finding it, but couldn't... (credit cards)

Hey guys,

I need a list of credit card companies that will give

me a credit card. I've tried first premier and they gave

me one a few months back.

Looking to get another one.

Thanks!

EDIT:  I should also say that I'm rebuilding my credit

from low 400's and it's now up to mid 500's after 5

months.

Message Edited by IneedAlotOfHelp on 08-23-2009 03:40 PM
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I tried finding it, but couldn't... (credit cards)

Hi IneedAlotOfHelp,

Long story short, there doesn't exist a list of credit card companies that will definitely give you (or anyone else) credit in this day an age of tight credit, schizo lenders. Each potential lender will have a risk threshold for determining whether or not to grant credit, and many seem to be putting more emphasis on more detailed underwriting that takes a longer and more critical look at your risk of default. That said, there are still plenty of options for rebuilding. But, without more information, it's hard to give an opinion on those options. Have you defaulted on any credit cards, and if so, with whom & how long ago? Do you have any public records (bankruptcy, paid or unpaid liens, judgments, etc...)? Do you have a lot of inquiries (how many)?

Congrats on the huge (and FAST) rise in your scores over the last couple of months. Now that you're in the mid 500s, I'd suggest going with a secured card. Perhaps, one from a major bank and one from a credit union. The reason that I suggest going secured is that you have the possibility of avoiding the sub-prime rebuilder card fees, and in some cases, the uber high interest rates. For major banks, search this forum for "secured cards from prime lenders". There's a thread that I started some time ago that had a list going (can't remember how far we got though, but I think there were a good number of cards listed). For credit unions, I'd try something local for the time being (until your EQ score goes over 600). Do some research and find one that offers secured credit cards that *unsecure* with responsible use (usually 9 to 18 months). Open a deposit account, and then take copies of your credit report to the CU to sit down and talk to a loan officers. This will give you the opportunity to explain your situation, and get a feel for their decision-making before you apply.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.