Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I've been receiving pre approved offers for subprime credit cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been receiving pre approved offers for subprime credit cards

I've been receiving pre approved offers for subprime credit cards, and I am not interested in applying for them. I want to receive offers for prime credit cards instead; my TU-699, EX-677 and EQ-653. If my delinquencies are two years old and my utilization of credit is 22%, what are my chances of being approved for a Chase card? I have only four delinquencies going back in 2015 and 2010, would that impact my chances for approval?
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I've been receiving pre approved offers for subprime credit cards

I forgot, I have 14 inqs and has not applied for any credit cards since last November 2016.
Message 2 of 12
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I forgot, I have 14 inqs and has not applied for any credit cards since last November 2016.

Well that was only a whopping two months ago, lol. Those inquiries can affect your approval odds for the next 10 months, but after a year they won't matter. 

Have you gone to Chase's prequal page to see if the Freedom or Freedom Unlimited come up for you? That's their lowest-tier card you can get a prequal for. 

Check out Citi, Amex and Capital One for prequalified offers as well. 

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just received my first pre-approval letter in the mail from continental bank "Reflex" card. Approved for $500 when I pay them $125, which is billed right away. The apr is 30.59% and lets not even talk about the monthly fee of $8 after the first year. Nooooo thank you. But at least I am moving in the right direction, right? The pre-approval flood gates will soon be open and the offers will flow like... Well you get the idea.
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase's pre qualify is your best bet. If you get an offer with a firm APR you have a high chance of approval.

https://www.chase.com/prequalified

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, this is my experience:

1. Pre-approvals come from sub-prime to lure you into the trap - you are wise enough to avoid them.

2. Pre-approvals come when you have certain pre-established relationships (Credit Unions, Wells Fargo, etc) and in good standing - look forward to these/invest in these

3. Pre-approvals with your credit score and report being healthy - these are the Prime lenders. You'll have to work hard and discipline not to have too many inquiries, keep the util and less than 15% and good AAoA.

Chase gets spooky with 5+ inquiries and mid to low scores...

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, I'll give it a try in March, because I want my scores to go a bit more higher.
Message 7 of 12
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thank you, I'll give it a try in March, because I want my scores to go a bit more higher.

FYI, the prequalifer uses the last promotional inquiry Chase made on your credit reports.  A new promotional inquiry will not be generated when you put your information into it. When you go to do it in March, it might contain information that is a couple of months old still. 

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I already have the AMEX green card which is nearly a year old and in good standing; I also have two Capital One MCs and 16 store credit cards with small balances and high credit limits.
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Deebee is it known when Chase does promotional inquiries?
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.