Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I've just discovered Discover!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've just discovered Discover!

Hi everyone.  I'm a junior in college with a responsible credit history and today I went fishing for a new card.  Currently I have a student card from U.S. Bank with a limit of $500 dollars (Only charge netflix to it to keep it active) and a Citi Dividend with an $800 limit (main card at the moment).  Today I applied for a Discover card and was granted a limit of $1500!  I can't wait for my shiny, new Discover card to arrive.

Any tips for keeping Discover happy (besides PIF because I always do that)?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
DI
Super Contributor

Re: I've just discovered Discover!

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi everyone.  I'm a junior in college with a responsible credit history and today I went fishing for a new card.  Currently I have a student card from U.S. Bank with a limit of $500 dollars (Only charge netflix to it to keep it active) and a Citi Dividend with an $800 limit (main card at the moment).  Today I applied for a Discover card and was granted a limit of $1500!  I can't wait for my shiny, new Discover card to arrive.

Congrats!   Make charges on the card every month and  PIF.  In return, Discover will reward you with a CLI every three months.  

Message 2 of 8
SYale2010
Valued Member

I'm a senior in college. I got my discover card the end of my sophomore year, and it started at $1000, now it is at $3000. It should definitely grow with you. The best part about your new card is the rewards. They are actually amazing. Yes, there is a cap, but as college students, we aren't spending that much money anyway...

What I can say about Discover is that yes, PIF. Or at least make regular payments to pay off your statement in the smallest amount of months. I always use their phone CLI option, but it seemed to work after 6 months of having my card, and then another at around 6 months again. Congratulations on Discover, they are great.

Have you tried doing the online CLI for Citi? They are my main card. I started literally with $1000 CL, and 2 years later, it is $6500, with another CLI option later this month. 
Message Edited by SYale2010 on 12-09-2009 01:23 PM
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't tried for a CLI with Citi, yet.  My USB card is 2 years old and they wont give me a CLI without a hard pull.  Citi is almost a year old and the online "luv button" hasn't appeared.  I'm going to wait and call them at the 1 year mark.  
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey CollegeKid,

Congratz!

I am looking to apply for discover card myself but I am afraid my short credit history won't qualify. I have had a credit card for less than a year and a recent car loan. Anyhow, my FICO TU as of this week is 713. Can you share a bit more about your credit situation? I'd really appreciate it Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats!  One of the things I love most about Discover is the ability to get new cards in new designs ANY time you want and as many as you want!  I already have 4 different designs.  They kind of encourage it!  If you're interested in that, there will be a link to select a new card design when you register at their website.  Which Discover card did you go with?    

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just went for the regular, silver design.  

There isn't too much to say about my credit history.  I've only applied for 3 cards (including Discover) and I've always been approved.  I PIF all my cards and have never exceeded the limit.  The only other things that could affect my CBR would be my comcast and electricity bills.

Message 7 of 8
DI
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I just went for the regular, silver design.  

There isn't too much to say about my credit history.  I've only applied for 3 cards (including Discover) and I've always been approved.  I PIF all my cards and have never exceeded the limit.  The only other things that could affect my CBR would be my comcast and electricity bills.

I have the black glow design...who needs AMEX or Visa's black card with high AF's.  

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.