Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I've paid of my CC, now what?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've paid of my CC, now what?

For background information on my credit situation please view here: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Help-Me-Make-a-Plan-of-Action/td-p/4525183

Since then, I have paid off my cc, but not before Amazon decreased my store card limit to $1,200 from $1,900 (my total credit limit now is about $4,200 because I have a $3000 limit on my wells fargo college card).

My current scores are:

EQ - 751

TU - 749

EX - 744

The three cards I think that I want to get this year:

Chase Freedom

Chase Freedom Unlimited

AMEX Everyday Preferred

I've calculated based on my spend that these have the best rewards. I also would like to upgrade to the Amazon Prime Store Card if possible because I buy a lot of stuff on Amazon.

So what should I do from here? Would I get best results if I requested CLIs on my Amazon and Wells Fargo cards before applying? Or should I apply for all of them at once? Or should I wait some amount of time in between. If so, in what order should I apply?

Sorry for asking a lot of questions. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I've paid of my CC, now what?

@Anonymous wrote:

For background information on my credit situation please view here: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Help-Me-Make-a-Plan-of-Action/td-p/4525183

Since then, I have paid off my cc, but not before Amazon decreased my store card limit to $1,200 from $1,900 (my total credit limit now is about $4,200 because I have a $3000 limit on my wells fargo college card).

My current scores are:

EQ - 751

TU - 749

EX - 744

The three cards I think that I want to get this year:

Chase Freedom

Chase Freedom Unlimited

AMEX Everyday Preferred

I've calculated based on my spend that these have the best rewards. I also would like to upgrade to the Amazon Prime Store Card if possible because I buy a lot of stuff on Amazon.

So what should I do from here? Would I get best results if I requested CLIs on my Amazon and Wells Fargo cards before applying? Or should I apply for all of them at once? Or should I wait some amount of time in between. If so, in what order should I apply?

Sorry for asking a lot of questions. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

I'll make one comment.  There is no difference between the Amazon store card and the Prime card except that you sign up for Amazon Prime.  Your card automatically becomes a Prime card.

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lol really? So this whole time I could have been getting 5% back on everything?? Dang. 

Edit:I just figured that it would say prime in the checkout option, because this is what it looks like:  

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Lol really? So this whole time I could have been getting 5% back on everything?? Dang. 

True but keep in mind that Prime Membership costs if I remember correctly, $95 so for the Prime card to be worthwhile you would need to spend at least $2K a year to break even.  The real benefit however of Prime membership are the other benefits like 2 day shippin, Prime video and other ones you should check out to make sure it's worthwhile for you.

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah totally. I've had prime for years though. I agree, I wouldn't get it just for that. I think it would probably have to be more than $2,000/year too because you have to also incorporate the opportunity cost of not using another rewards card.

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah totally. I've had prime for years though. I agree, I wouldn't get it just for that. I think it would probably have to be more than $2,000/year too because you have to also incorporate the opportunity cost of not using another rewards card.

This is very true as well. I buy a lot from Amazon but Ive used my Freedom, Sallie Mae and Discover cards for it because one or the other always seems to have 5% or better program going on.  Thats why though I was tempted at one time to get the Amazon card, I did not and probably wont ever unless these cards or other stop giving incentives to buy from Amazon.

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I probably go with the Chase Freedom Unlimited since they approved me with $9500 limit. The AMEX Everyday Preferred approved me with a lower limit. But it really depending on your records and income. Good luck.

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I probably go with the Chase Freedom Unlimited since they approved me with $9500 limit. The AMEX Everyday Preferred approved me with a lower limit. But it really depending on your records and income. Good luck.

But I want to get all three. Do you think it would be bad to apply to all 3 at once? Or is there a smarter way do it?

Message 8 of 16
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

True but keep in mind that Prime Membership costs if I remember correctly, $95 so for the Prime card to be worthwhile you would need to spend at least $2K a year to break even.  The real benefit however of Prime membership are the other benefits like 2 day shippin, Prime video and other ones you should check out to make sure it's worthwhile for you.

Yeah it is basically an AF of $99 with the perks of free 2 day shipping and sometimes same day shipping, Lame music app, Prime Video, This service which gives you free books to own that aren't out yet each month, Kindle lending library ( you need a kindle for it), and 5% CB on the store card.... Honestly I am fairly certain I am going to cancel my prime atfer mines expires because its not worth $99 a year considering i get free 2 day shipping with shoprunner with my Amex cards and can easily walk to get what i want with everything else... I like the shipping perk but TBH I stopped shopping on Amazon because of their polcies and just not that great pricing... Also lost a few items and few shipments didn't come on time...

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 9 of 16
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

But I want to get all three. Do you think it would be bad to apply to all 3 at once? Or is there a smarter way do it?

The Everyday preferred card isn't that great unless you value MR points .... You're better off getting the BCP. 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.