Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I wanna throw up.

tag
sailor_mercury
Valued Contributor

Re: I wanna throw up.

@sekada wrote:

Sailor_mercury: Thanks for the great info!  I really need a car in the next 2 weeks at least... my mom is putting off medical treatment until she can have mine.  So I might wind up refi'ing later. 

I do have AmEx, and will definitely sign up for that service! Thank you!  My one question is, if I have an FA put on my credit reports, will that stop me from getting credit on a car??  I thought that froze your credit entirely.  I would be willing to put that off a couple weeks, buy the car and then do it... the only instance of fraud seems to be for $40 in Jan... and that account is now closed.

Cap One quicfkly helped me track down the fraud (even did a 3-way call w/Ancestry to be sure I got my money back) but they say they have to still do an official investigation on it, which will take 60-90 days... after that they say, as long as they confirm it was fraud, it will be removed from reports. 

I was wondering if it would help me to do phone/in-person applications for car loans rather than online, so I can make sure they know about the situation and I can provide documentation.  I have a feeling an online app might not afford me the same chance to talk with a human to explain my sorry credit score. I guess the worst-case scenario is I will have to refi in a while... haven't ever had to do that before, hopefully not too big a pain.  Smiley Sad

Who were you planning on applying with for your car loan?  A credit union, bank, the car dealer?  I would avoid the car dealer unless they are offering a special promo and then even then there is a way around that.  Keep in mind with Credit Secure they have the most WORTHLESS scores ever.  So ignore their whole scoring system.  But they do have what you want which is the detailed data.

Continue to work with Cap 1's fraud department, explain that you were in the middle of an auto purchase that you need to complete for family medical transportation.  Don't be afraid to ask for a manager.  If there ever was a good reason to push the envelope and ask for special considerations this is it. TAKE LOTS OF NOTES WITH CAP 1 PHONE CONVERSATIONS.  Get names, ID#'s the time you called, items discussed.

I would deff not apply online.  You need a chance to explain your situation and the absolutely poor timing of it.  In person would be best but depending on the credit union or bank you may be able to do it over the phone.  When you apply in person take copies of the police report, your phone notes, any paperwork Cap 1 sends you on this matter.

I'm not sure how the credit report freezes work, but you can deff discuss that with the lender.  You may be able to unfreeze it for a day or two to apply for your loans and then put the freeze back on.

NFCU nCashRewards VISA - $20,000 | NFCU nRewards $10,000
AMEX Costco TrueEarnings $5,000 | AMEX Delta Gold $1,500
Chase SWA VISA $5,000 | Chase Slate $3,500 | Chase Amazon Rewards VISA $3,000
HSN Mastecard $3,500
Message 21 of 30
Crisis
Established Contributor

I had my identity stolen once, and they wouldn't tell me who it was, either.  It wasn't ancestry, I actually had a number of retailers' charges on my account.  None of them would release the information, one told me because they were afraid of vigilante justice.  Dunno if that's BS or what, but thought I'd pass that tidbit along.

@sekada wrote:

amen! annoying thing is Ancestry couldn't tell me what name was used (not my name) on the account, due to SECURITY RULES.  Um, if someone *other than me* is using my credit card, whose security does it help not to tell me that?  So I still don't know.  I was hoping the name might help track down whodunit. Even though my card is now canceled, it makes me wonder if I'm the only one.

Other annoying thing is, Capital One "has opened an investigation" and it will be 60-90 days before it's removed from my report. Smiley Sad

In the garden until debt is paid off and scores are up!
Message 22 of 30
sekada
Regular Contributor

Sailor_Mercury,  I hadn't finished my list of possible lenders yet but definitely plan to apply to BB&T, I had a great relationship w/them on my last car loan and they were my first banker back in high school (had to leave them 20 yrs ago bc they didn't operate in my new state.. they're here now but I didn't return to them for banking).  I had planned to apply to the CU where I work, but I am not a member with them currently and I hear they're sticklers for at least medium-good credit scores -- so not sure whether I should try there or not.  I also planned to apply to LGE Credit Union, possibly Credit Union of GA (I've heard very mixed reviews, some great and some pretty bad) and Associated Credit Union.  Once I got approved, I'd planned to see if my dealer could beat it.  Oh, and Fidelity Bank -- refi'd my mortgage and went with them last year and so far so great.

I really don't prefer to go in person because I work the dreaded "banker's hours" and will have to take a day off from work... but maybe it would be better than calling? 

But the truth is I hadn't really looked for "subprime" lenders and I'm almost at that point... score range from 605-616 now, down from 652 last week.  Still hoping for a slight bump for paying off $4500 in CC's and that statement should hit any day now. 

What do you mean that Credit Secure sucks -- is that what we get when we purchase thru here?  I just pulled all three of my reports thru my FICO... the scores should be fairly accurate, yes?

Message 23 of 30
MTSN
Regular Contributor

This situation is why I decided to go ahead and close my $0 balance CapOne card. I think if you have a card open you will never, ever use and hate it with a passion like I did with my CapOne card, it's best to just go ahead and close it to avoid any potential for fraud or additional chargers you're unaware of. I was thinking about the same thing happening to me like some sort of subscription or some random fee popping up, me forgetting to look at the account, and then getting seriously dinged ruining years worth of efforts to get where I am. The additional aging effect isn't worth the risk especially if you've moved on to much better cards than CapOne.

Message 24 of 30
sekada
Regular Contributor

Just called Cap One and they said to have the credit bureau *Experian) call them thru a backdoor number and confirm that it's ok to take it off my CR.  They said that's the fastest way and otherwise I have to wait for the next monthly statement (?).

Tried to reach Experian but can't get a live rep without a current credit report.   I just paid $58 to myfico to get my credit reports, and I can't seem to access the Experian report number... it just shows me "at a glance" and a list of my accounts etc.  Is there some trick to seeing this, or must I go ALSO buy a report at Experian.com?  They will not let me purchase it online or over the phone -- when I call the number, it tells me I have to mail in the information, then wait for it to arrive in the mail.  Credit Agencies Suck.

Message 25 of 30
subwaysandwich
Frequent Contributor

Did you throw up yet?

Message 26 of 30
sekada
Regular Contributor

LMAO... so far no boot, but I have committed a couple of thought-murders!  Cannot believe that in Century 21 I cannot get a credit report online, or at least by phone. 

ETA I am also EXTREMELY aggravated that I paid $58 for my credit reports, and nowhere did it mention that if I have to dispute anything, I will not be able to do that based on these reports, but will have to go purchase directly from the credit agency.  RIPOFF  

Message 27 of 30
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@sekada wrote:

LMAO... so far no boot, but I have committed a couple of thought-murders!  Cannot believe that in Century 21 I cannot get a credit report online, or at least by phone. 

ETA I am also EXTREMELY aggravated that I paid $58 for my credit reports, and nowhere did it mention that if I have to dispute anything, I will not be able to do that based on these reports, but will have to go purchase directly from the credit agency.  RIPOFF  

You'll need to access your report directly from Experian.  CMS will not have the report number you need.  Go to Experian.com and initiate a dispute or access your annual credit report for Experian by going to annualcreditreport.com

Message 28 of 30
sekada
Regular Contributor

Hahhhh I got it through annualcreditreport.com!  sweet -- I didn't think that would give me a report number but it did! Eureka.

Message 29 of 30
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@sekada wrote:

Hahhhh I got it through annualcreditreport.com!  sweet -- I didn't think that would give me a report number but it did! Eureka.

Glad to be of help. 

Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.