Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want NFCU

tag
TsuSurf
Contributor

I want NFCU

Is there anyway I can get in with them.  All I hear is great things about them.  I have never been in the military or have any family or friends with NFCU.  If anybody could help me out I would really appreciate it.

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Re: I want NFCU

Here's the info from their website. Many people have found backdoors through roomates, girl/boyfriends, a spouse's relative, etc. Even if you don't meet the eligibility checklist, if any of those people meet the criteria, then you can join via their m'ship and your relationship with them. (They would need to join first, in most circumstances.) 

Eligibility Checklist

Navy Federal's field of membership is determined by the National Credit Union Administration.
If you fall under any of these categories, you're eligible to join:

All Department of Defense (DoD) uniformed personnel—Army, Marine Corps, Navy and
Air Force retirees and annuitants

All Department of Defense Reservists—Army, Marine Corps, Navy and Air Force retirees
and annuitants

All Army and Air National Guard Personnel—civilian employees, retirees and annuitants

All Delayed Entry Program (DEP) Personnel

All DoD Officer Candidate programs—Midshipmen and cadets at the United States Naval Academy,
United States Military Academy, United States Air Force Academy, United States Coast Guard Academy
and the United States Merchant Marine Academy; Other Officer Programs*

U.S. government employees assigned to DoD installations (including Coast Guard)

All DoD civilian employees—including retirees and annuitants

DoD contractors assigned to U.S. Government installations

Family Members—including grandparents, parents, spouses, siblings, grandchildren, children (including adopted and stepchildren) and household members

Once your family members have joined, they can extend the membership opportunity to their family members, too.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 2 of 24
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@jconvinced wrote:

Is there anyway I can get in with them.  All I hear is great things about them.  I have never been in the military or have any family or friends with NFCU.  If anybody could help me out I would really appreciate it.

Use their eligibility function on their site, and if that doesn't work out and if you have no family, roommates, etc that are military and members then unfortunately aren't going to be able to join.

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 3 of 24
TsuSurf
Contributor

Looks like I will either have to join the military or move in with some1 who was/is in the military to join Smiley Sad.

Message 4 of 24
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@jconvinced wrote:

Looks like I will either have to join the military or move in with some1 who was/is in the military to join Smiley Sad.

I know NFCU has a plethora of amazing success stories and help people with mediocre and excellent scores by issuing nice, big CL's. But at the same time there are other ways to go about it. Many people who aren't eligible to join military CU's are still capable to get out of the Toy-limit cards, and get their scores up. It just takes time. You haven't given any info as far as your credit file goes, but with some time the better cards come. Have you looked into other CU's, locally? Do you have the funds to start a secured card and then continue to increase the limit on it?

Seems like you're just not willing to try, and are dead set on NFCU and nothing else.

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 5 of 24
TsuSurf
Contributor

I'm building/rebuilding credit.  I have some secured cards with min deposits from BOA, WF, Cap1 about 3 months old.  I was interested in NFCU for the reasons you stated.  I'm open to other good CUs.  What are some good CUs open to the public?

Message 6 of 24
Brian_Trying_700
Frequent Contributor

I would like to give them a shot at one point. My father is a WW2 vet. He never belong to them though.

Garden mode till 11/19/2013 Amex Zync 500 H-L I Discover More 1750 I Capital One Rewards 1750 I Barclay Apple 1500 I Macys 2000 I Orchard 400 I Walmart 2000 I Chase Freedom 1500 I Lowes 1K l Barclay NFL 1K l Wright Express gas 2500 l PayPal Debit MasterCard BusinessCard $ ?
Message 7 of 24
TsuSurf
Contributor

You should be able to get the card.  Just have to have him sign up for membership I believe.

Message 8 of 24
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@jconvinced wrote:

I'm building/rebuilding credit.  I have some secured cards with min deposits from BOA, WF, Cap1 about 3 months old.  I was interested in NFCU for the reasons you stated.  I'm open to other good CUs.  What are some good CUs open to the public?

Some CUs give pretty generous limits and others don't. Your best bet is to call some local CUs. You can usually join them because you live in the area, which is the only requirement. Explain your situation to their loan officer and see how willing they are to work with you.

Some people on the forum have joined DCU (digital credit union), which also gives a free monthly EQ FICO. I don't believe they're quite so generous as Navy. If you do a search, you can read some posts about them.

Another one that many joined was Alliant CU http://www.alliantcreditunion.org/. There hasn't been much posted about them recently.

USAA, which is not a CU, but many think is, can give generous limits. But as a non-military member, the CC offerings aren't as good as to their "full"/military members. And they are a more conservative lender.

PenFed is pretty popular, too. You can join by making a $15 or $20 m'ship donation to either National Military Family Association or Voices for America's Troops. They can be somewhat conservative, but also is known to give large CLs.

If you or a relative live in PA, you can join PSECU, which I covet!

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 9 of 24
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@Brian_Trying_700 wrote:

I would like to give them a shot at one point. My father is a WW2 vet. He never belong to them though.

You can join if he was retired military, and he does not have to join in order for you to qualify. They don't consider former-military who aren't "retired," to qualify, though.

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.