Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want an AMEX Green. But why????

tag
eagles08
Regular Contributor

I want an AMEX Green. But why????

I keep looking at the green card but I don't even know why! Just to have it I guess! Status wise and I like the look! I'd probably never use it and the perks seem like those which I'd never be able to take advantage of! On top of all that I'm not too fond of annual fees since I don't really spend enough to make it worth it! So what keeps attracting me to this card? Oh, btw, I hate the garden. Its not for me....
AMEX BCE- $12,600 I Discover IT- $10,000 I Chase Freedom- $7,000 I Citi Double Cash- $3,300 I Best Buy- $2,800 I Bayport CU Visa- $1,000
Message 1 of 95
94 REPLIES 94
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: I want an AMEX Green. But why????

@eagles08 wrote:
I keep looking at the green card but I don't even know why! Just to have it I guess! Status wise and I like the look! I'd probably never use it and the perks seem like those which I'd never be able to take advantage of! On top of all that I'm not too fond of annual fees since I don't really spend enough to make it worth it! So what keeps attracting me to this card? Oh, btw, I hate the garden. Its not for me....

Get enough HP's for cards you want and don't know why and you will love the garden...Lol

Amex green is easy to get IMHO

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 95
E150GT
Frequent Contributor

I personally think the card is a beauty.  Its very classy. Im still getting rid of mine though. 

CSP-$8700, Amex BCE-17.2k, Chase Freedom-$5700
Discover It-$6600, USAA MC-$5900 Ink Bold- $12k United Explorer-$5k
Message 3 of 95
eagles08
Regular Contributor

Its definitely a sexy card. And it just seems like the prestige that comes with an AMEX charge card is much higher than that of their revolvers which is what I think draws me to it. For an every day card, minus groceries and gas, is it more beneficial than my BCE?
AMEX BCE- $12,600 I Discover IT- $10,000 I Chase Freedom- $7,000 I Citi Double Cash- $3,300 I Best Buy- $2,800 I Bayport CU Visa- $1,000
Message 4 of 95
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@eagles08 wrote:
Its definitely a sexy card. And it just seems like the prestige that comes with an AMEX charge card is much higher than that of their revolvers which is what I think draws me to it. For an every day card, minus groceries and gas, is it more beneficial than my BCE?

Do you travel very much? Do you spend a lot every month and always PIF?

I don't see much reason to get a green, assuming you're new to Amex MR. The PRG and Platinum cards each serve their purpose, but even though the Green is fairly easy to obtain it doesn't have that much going for it IMO.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 5 of 95
riffdex
Valued Member

Now you're making me want one! Sure is a beautiful card... Same color as money (:
AMEX BCE $7,100 eBay MasterCard $5,000 SallieMae MasterCard $1,100 Emigrant Direct $4,500 Wells Fargo Platinum $1,500
Belk Rewards $1,700 Amazon Rewards $3,000 WalMart Discover $1,200 Barclay's Rewards $1,000 Discover More $2,800

What's in your wallet? : D
Message 6 of 95
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 7 of 95
Odiseous
Frequent Contributor

@eagles08 wrote:

The design is almost identical to the vast majority of AmEx Corporate Cards (sans the word "CORPORATE" splashed across the front). So, to an untrained eye, it might look like you are using a corporate card, to possibly expense (whatever). If you're trying to impress someone, and you don't have anything flashier; then it might work.

And, rumor has it that charge cards are easier to get than revolvers.

Other than that... It's an AmEx charge card, with the lowest AF (tied with the Mercedes revolver). if you look at the 2 neck & neck, the Mercedes (same AF) is much better, since you get an annual $50 GC for Mercedes Swag, and can carry a balance.

Also, the green won't count against your Max # of AmEx revolvers you can have. I hear most people are capped at 4, though I have 5 revolvers.   If I needed to pump up my AOA, I'd now have to switch to adding AmEx Charge Cards.

Edit:   Yes, I know Zinc has a lower AF.  But since they basically kiled Zync, I no longer count that.

TU98 751, EQ 766, EX 766 (Lender)

If at first you don't succeed; Garden for 6 months, then try again.

Work the system. Don't let the system work you.
Message 8 of 95
Open123
Super Contributor

LOL...However aesthetically pleasing and iconic, don't start with the Green.

For new Amex charge apps, the PRG or Plat is the better option.  The former with fee waived & 25k - 50K MR bonus, while the latter with a 50K - 100K bonus with enough benefits to offset the fee, assuming you were going to pay for them anyway.

The Green is better suited for downgrades allowing you to pay a lower fee while keeping full MR Status.  The Sr Green is ideal here at $35 annual fee per year.

Message 9 of 95
Contributor

You should wait and see if they bring back the Zync. It's the best looking Amex IMO, and if you have to have a charge card, it's the cheapest out there.

$1500            $1500             $2500             $2500             NPSL         
Starting EQ: 646 - Current EQ: 693 - Goal EQ for 12/2013: >720
Gardening from 7/2013 until 1/2014
Message 10 of 95
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.