Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want an AMEX Green. But why????

tag
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: I want an AMEX Green. But why????

@OptimalCS wrote:
Amex love struck people.....I wonder if theses banks ever think this way about us?

All the banks see when they look at us are dollar signs of various sizes.

Message 51 of 95
Open123
Super Contributor

@GatorGuy wrote:

I think it is perfectly acceptable for someone to pay $175 for a card just for the status if that is something that makes them happy. It is honestly one of the cheaper things you could do.

+1

I'd much rather drop a frivolous $175 for a CC that makes me happy than the same amount at some fancy restaurant for overpriced food.  Value and utility of satisfaction is definitely relative to the respective individual.

Message 52 of 95
Open123
Super Contributor

@OptimalCS wrote:
Amex love struck people.....I wonder if theses banks ever think this way about us?

Banks covet people who spend more and have more money; and, likewise, those who have more and spend more demand more perks.  If either of these were to change (for whatever lender or issuer), the relationship will sour in about 3 seconds.

Message 53 of 95
OptimalCS
Frequent Contributor

+1
"Wisdom is the principal thing..."
Message 54 of 95
eagles08
Regular Contributor

Ah, you guys are killing me! Haha! I mean yeah it's a great card and all but the main reason I even got into looking at decent cards was to enjoy the perks of having them. I feel like I'm going backwards if I have a card with an AF that's higher than the rewards I earn even if it does make me feel boss.
AMEX BCE- $12,600 I Discover IT- $10,000 I Chase Freedom- $7,000 I Citi Double Cash- $3,300 I Best Buy- $2,800 I Bayport CU Visa- $1,000
Message 55 of 95
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@eagles08 wrote:
Ah, you guys are killing me! Haha! I mean yeah it's a great card and all but the main reason I even got into looking at decent cards was to enjoy the perks of having them. I feel like I'm going backwards if I have a card with an AF that's higher than the rewards I earn even if it does make me feel boss.

If that's really the case (and your previous comments have suggested that feeling boss is the real driver!) then you just need to look at your spending patterns, what is not covered by your existing cards,  and what sort of rewards you value.   I think the problem is that you don't really have a very high credit card spend, so one approach is to get a card that gives a type of reward you want (hotel, flights, human skulls, whatever) and put all your spending on that, even though on individual transactions you may be giving something up (e.g not using BCE at a grocery store).

So, in return for not feeling boss, what sort of rewards do you want?

Message 56 of 95
eagles08
Regular Contributor

Anything really! I mean if I got the PRG I'd definitely SD the BCE but what about the 5% categories for Freedom and Discover IT? Also part if the problem is that about $300 of my bills do not accept AMEX. Gas is my main expense since I work over 40 miles from home. Even still, there's a lot of extra spending I have to do somewhere and only being 21, living at home making about $36,000 a year, it's hard to even spend over $600 a month on the AMEX seeing that some bills don't accept it and obviously i can't make my car payment via credit card.
AMEX BCE- $12,600 I Discover IT- $10,000 I Chase Freedom- $7,000 I Citi Double Cash- $3,300 I Best Buy- $2,800 I Bayport CU Visa- $1,000
Message 57 of 95
eagles08
Regular Contributor

Really as far as rewards I guess I'm pretty set with the cards I currently have. Other than that I'd like some good hotel branded cards but wouldn't the PRG be good for travel and hotel stays anyway? Really anything new I get would pretty much suck the spending from somewhere else. It's just about maximizing my return.
Message 58 of 95
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re bills on credit cards: see the threads on bill pay.  Bluebird or Serve are good ways of paying bills with credit cards.

Message 59 of 95
eagles08
Regular Contributor

So there is a way to pay my bills that don't accept AMEX or bills that I even normally stroke a check for via my AMEX PRG?
Message 60 of 95
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.