Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want an AMEX Green. But why????

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: I want an AMEX Green. But why????

@eagles08 wrote:
So there is a way to pay my bills that don't accept AMEX or bills that I even normally stroke a check for via my AMEX PRG?

Well, using your BCE or any credit card.

Serve or Bluebird (both from Amex, you can only have one) allow you to load them via credit card (directly with serve, via more complex methods with Bluebird) and then they are full bill-pay systems that will send payment to anyone for free.  Bluebird has much higher limits, but is more difficult to load.   So this is the way to get rewards when paying bills that don't take credit card payments.

Message 61 of 95
eagles08
Regular Contributor

Hmmm. Got yahh! Do you use either of these? I think Bluebird is more beneficial due to the fact that Serve has a $250 limit if I'm correct. Does bluebird have any fees associated with loading the card or paying bills?
AMEX BCE- $12,600 I Discover IT- $10,000 I Chase Freedom- $7,000 I Citi Double Cash- $3,300 I Best Buy- $2,800 I Bayport CU Visa- $1,000
Message 62 of 95
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@eagles08 wrote:
Hmmm. Got yahh! Do you use either of these? I think Bluebird is more beneficial due to the fact that Serve has a $250 limit if I'm correct. Does bluebird have any fees associated with loading the card or paying bills?

I use BB (really for manufactured spend rather than bill pay).   There are no fees for paying bills, but for loading the card, depending what is available to you, does cost.

1) Less hassle, but not always possible.  Loading via Vanilla Reload.  This costs $3.95 for up to $500.  With a 1% card this is hardly worth it giving the extra effort, but when Freedom/Discover covers drug stores it is, and really anything giving 2% (Chase Amazon for example) or more is fine.  You then take the card and load online.  However, you may not find a store that allows you to buy VR with a credit card.

2) Buy a Visa/MC gift card at a supermarket with the BCE.   A $500 will cost $4.95 or $5.95, but you are getting $15 back on your card, so this is OK.  You then take the card to Walmart and load it onto your bluebird for free.  So trips to two stores are needed.

So, Serve, despite the low limit, might be less hassle!   Bluebird makes more sense with a 5x card (Citi TY) or a BCP.  (For manufactured spend, you don't want the cap,

so no BCP!)

Message 63 of 95
eagles08
Regular Contributor

Ok, question. My CU accepts debit card payments for loans. State Farm accepts cards just not AMEX. Could I buy a $500 visa gift card with my BCE or theoretically my PRG and run up to the CU, pay my car with that, then head over to State Farm and pay that bill too?!
AMEX BCE- $12,600 I Discover IT- $10,000 I Chase Freedom- $7,000 I Citi Double Cash- $3,300 I Best Buy- $2,800 I Bayport CU Visa- $1,000
Message 64 of 95
enharu
Super Contributor

Eagles, easiest way is to buy the gift card, use the pin feature and buy a money order with it or get a bluebird like longtimelurker had been saying, and then pay it that way.

The debit feature of the gift cards do not work at all places.

As for State Farm, you can just get the gift card and then pay them using the gift card. Might take several gift cards depending on your insurance amount.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 65 of 95
eagles08
Regular Contributor

I mean as long as they'd accept the gift card then just buying the card and using it directly would most definitely be easiest for me IMO.
Message 66 of 95
enharu
Super Contributor

You could try to see if they accept the gift card. If they don't, convert it to cash via money order and pay them using cash then.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 67 of 95
eagles08
Regular Contributor

Got yahh. Are there any fees associated with the gift card? I remember seeing $3.95. Would that offset the 500 MR points?
Message 68 of 95
enharu
Super Contributor

MR points are generally worth at least 1ccp, so assuming worst case scenario you are making a profit of $1.05.
Message 69 of 95
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@eagles08 wrote:
Got yahh. Are there any fees associated with the gift card? I remember seeing $3.95. Would that offset the 500 MR points?

VR is $3.95, Gift Cards are usually $4.95 or $5.95.   So buying it with a 3x BCE makes it ok.  So a $500 gift card gives you $15, so even $5.95 gives you a profit.  But consider the value of your time as well, as compared with sending in a check!

And for those super-compliant, Amex T&C excludes extra points on cash equivalent gift card purchases.  But if you buy at a supermarket (ideally along with some actual groceries) it will be fine.

Message 70 of 95
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.