cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want more Dave Ramsey fights!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tag
athensguy
Valued Contributor

Re: I want more Dave Ramsey fights!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ishmael109:

How can you take someone's advice, completely change it, and then say that you found his teaching useful?

He specifically says that you should not pay off by interest rate, but rather by balance size, so by doing it the money way you were saying his preaching was bad.

You funded your retirement during paydown, which is also against his preaching.

You use credit cards, which is pretty much his public enemy number one. According to him, you are far too incompetent to responsibly use a credit card.

Everything else you did is just common sense "knuckle down" and get it done attitude. Dave only slowed you down by starting you off in the wrong direction that you yourself had to turn around. I congratulate you for not following DR's advice Smiley Wink
Message 31 of 42
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@athensguy wrote:
Ishmael109:

How can you take someone's advice, completely change it, and then say that you found his teaching useful?

Why can't you? Is there some rule that you have to be either 100% in, or 100% out?

I get advice from people all the time, generally unasked for. I take what makes sense and is useful to me, and I politely ignore the rest. Like eating dinner with someone who has a great meal on the plate, plus liver. I'm not pushing away all the good stuff, just because I'd rather pass out from anemia than eat liver. And at the end, I would have said that it was a great meal, and thanks.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 32 of 42
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

A medical illness that left me with tremendous co-pays, led to my  racking up about 50K in unsecured debt. I was making minimums, but barely. I refused to file bankruptcy, or defualt on a perfect payment history. 
Smiley Sad

Another personal financial disaster from what appears to be crappy medical coverage.

Congrats on finding something and making it work for you, and I'm glad you're back on your feet again. (At least I assume that you are.)
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 33 of 42
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@MidnightVoice wrote:

I agree some of his ideas are good, and that he does help some people.  But I am the anlytical type, and I use logic to maximise my income - he use "touchy-feely" and bad financial advice (in cold, hard dollar terms).  And us scientists tend to be cold hard people.  Smiley Very Happy

Liar, we know you're really all warm and fuzzy and squishy. Smiley Wink

You need to swap out your avatar for jmbfl's (and others') teddy bear. Smiley Happy
Message 34 of 42
athensguy
Valued Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@athensguy wrote:
Ishmael109:

Why can't you? Is there some rule that you have to be either 100% in, or 100% out?

I get advice from people all the time, generally unasked for. I take what makes sense and is useful to me, and I politely ignore the rest. Like eating dinner with someone who has a great meal on the plate, plus liver. I'm not pushing away all the good stuff, just because I'd rather pass out from anemia than eat liver. And at the end, I would have said that it was a great meal, and thanks.

Actually, my point was that he took the advice and changed it so much that now it contradicts the previous instructions completely. If you completely change it, it is no longer attributable to the original source. In this case, the original source would shout at Ishmael and tell him he was doing it all wrong.
Message 35 of 42
BBYGRL
Established Contributor

jmbfl wrote:
YEAH BOI !!

http://msfriendly.wordpress.com/2008/04/03/8-%E2%80%93-demoralization-is-a-hot-mess/flava-flav/

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!
10/08 - EX 795 / EQ 816 / TU 806
6/09 - EQ 763 / TU 770

Starting Score (2/2010): TU-767, EQ-745
Current Score (2/2010): TU-767, EQ-745
Goal Score (12/2010): TU-780, EQ-790

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 36 of 42
BBYGRL
Established Contributor

jmbfl wrote:

fused wrote:
Has anyone seen DR cry in public?

No, but I did see Jimmy Swaggert and Tammy Faye (Bakker) Messner cry in public.

I have never seen Flava Flav cry in public though...

Message Edited by jmbfl on 09-23-2008 10:00 PM

You're killing me jmbfl! LMAO!
10/08 - EX 795 / EQ 816 / TU 806
6/09 - EQ 763 / TU 770

Starting Score (2/2010): TU-767, EQ-745
Current Score (2/2010): TU-767, EQ-745
Goal Score (12/2010): TU-780, EQ-790

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 37 of 42
fused
Moderator Emeritus

MidnightVoice wrote:

And us scientists tend to be cold hard people.  Smiley Very Happy

Nerds too!Smiley Happy
Message 38 of 42
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@fused wrote:

@MidnightVoice wrote:

Nerds too!Smiley Happy
fused, are you saying that scientists are nerds? Isn't that a bit... unkind? Smiley Surprised
Message 39 of 42
athensguy
Valued Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@fused wrote:

@MidnightVoice wrote:

Nerds too!Smiley Happy
fused, are you saying that scientists are nerds? Isn't that a bit... unkind? Smiley Surprised

I took it to mean that we nerds are also cold, hard people! Smiley Wink
Message 40 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.