Contributor

I want more spending power, but have too many INQs

snip

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
TheCreditKid
Established Contributor

Re: I want more spending power, but have too many INQs

Let the inquiries drop and the account age.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All human wisdom is summed up in two words - wait and hope.

-Alexander Dumas
Message 2 of 7
ArisGreek
Frequent Contributor

+1 with Credit Kid...

The only other option you have is see if you can do a secured create card where you give them $1,000 and that is your credit line and when you graduate the card or decide to get rid of it, you'd get your $1,000 back. Otherwise, you're pretty much out of luck with all the apps, You need to let them fall off and deal...I hate to say it but that's a lot of inquiries ;(

===========
TU: 745(TU98) | EQ: 774 | EX: ? | NO BADDIES!
What's in my wallet? AMEX Platinum, United Presidential Plus World Elite MC, AMEX JetBlue, Nordstrom Visa Sig, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, AMEX Zync, Citi AAdvantage Plat Select Visa, Banana Republic, Home Depot
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

More spending power? Pick up some cans, promotion, another part time job or new job (easier said then done), sell, etc. Anyway to get some dead presidents in your wallet gives your more spending power!

Or

You can just wait?

Message 4 of 7
jefftca925
Established Contributor

If you have a short history and a lot of inquiries the best remedy would be to let what you have age and become more established.  Hold off on applying for ANYTHING for at least 6 months but preferably a year or more to let those inq have less impact on your credit file.  Your credit score at this point is not really a good indicator of what your credit profile has in it and that will give a false sense of security.  WAIT!! and let what you have get some history and go from there.  You'll find by being patient you will reap the benefits down the road.

CCs: Chase Freedom VS 12.9k, CSP VISA Sg 13k, BofA Amex 24.5k, Discover 12.5k, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sg 17k, Macy's Amex 8k/1.5k, Gap Visa 10k, Best Buy 11.1k, Citi TY MC 10.8k, Citi AA Amex 6k, Nordstrom VS 10k, Costco Amex 12k, BofA CR VS 5k, Amex BCP 13.5k, Amex ED 5k, Sears MC 9k, HD 7k, Target 600, Amazon 7k, US Bank MC 15k, US Airways MC 8k, NFL Visa 4k, Patelco Visa 10k, Penfed PR VS 44.6k, Chase Hyatt VS 8k, Citi Simplicity 13.3k, PayPal MC 7.5k, BBVA Visa 4k, WF VS 14k, FNBO Amex 14.1k, OCCU VISA 15k, TR Visa Sg 16.3k, C1 QS Visa 11k, FRN MC 15k, HSN 4k, Saks WEMC 10k/4k, Chase Ink 18k, Arrival WEMC 10k, Ebates VS 8k, Orbitz VS 12k, NASA V 30k, USBk FP VS 21.5k, DC 30k, VirgAm 15k, Sams MC 15k, Amex Bz Gold, Amex SC 10k, BofW Bz MC 18k
Message 5 of 7
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

@jefftca925 wrote:

If you have a short history and a lot of inquiries the best remedy would be to let what you have age and become more established.  Hold off on applying for ANYTHING for at least 6 months but preferably a year or more to let those inq have less impact on your credit file.  Your credit score at this point is not really a good indicator of what your credit profile has in it and that will give a false sense of security.  WAIT!! and let what you have get some history and go from there.  You'll find by being patient you will reap the benefits down the road.

++1

Message 6 of 7
jobber123rd
Valued Member

@Coldness wrote:

--A credit union VISA with a (don't drop your jaw too much) locked/fixed APR of 7% and pretty decent rewards program (1 point per dollar, if I just use it on gift cards it's just barely under 1% cash back). $500 limit, and I'm almost afraid to request an increase because they might see all of my inquiries. This card probably actually hurts my score a lot, I use it for my daily spending to rack up points rather then using my debit card and pay it off when the statement rolls around. Unfortunately, that often results in 90%+ utilization, despite never actually carrying a balance on it and never paying a penny of interest. 

Could you try to PIF before the statement cuts?  If your CU reports the balance just once a month based on the statement amount, you can get it to report 0% util by paying the whole balance off before the statement cuts, even if you've run $500 (or whatever) through it over the course of the month.   It's a cheap but effective scoring tactic.  As stated previously, you'll have to let your accounts and inquiries age, but when you're about ready to apply again, keep this in mind. You won't necessarily have to change your spending habits with that card to help your util -- just pay it back a little earlier.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.