Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to join Alliant also, BUT!

tag
dizbuster
Frequent Contributor

I want to join Alliant also, BUT!

I would like to join Alliant CU as I have been reading great things about them here. But I did burn a small local CU back in 04 in my BK. Burned them for about $30,000. Does anyone know if there is some kind of unspoken blacklist between unrelated CU's? I mean would Allient see that I have burned another CU in the past and not want to work with me just based off of the past CU mistake?  I am just curious before I start the process.
A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.
7/6/2009 Equ 664 TU 680 (15 and 19 point jump respectively this week, over 100 point increase in 6 months)
Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Re: I want to join Alliant also, BUT!

I assume the other two PR's are judgements (after your BK). See if you can get the creditor to agree to have the judgement vacated in return for payment. Get it in writing if they agree. If a judgement is vacated it has to be removed from your CBR's. You cannot PFD/GW a judgement - it has to run through a court of law. Otherwise a paid judgement, like a paid CA will stay on your credit report for the full length of time allowed by law.

Trust me - you can get on top of this! It will just take some time and some effort. One day you will be able to look back on all this as an unfortunate misstep you made long ago.

Just as an aside: You said you had had some success in opening new accounts during the last year. Assuming your credit reports looked then substanially the same way they do now people here are going to want to know who with.

Message 9 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

If the debt is still listed on your CR as IIB, then they will know fof the creditor from that.  But I don't know if they hold you more accountable for defaulting on a CU than any bank.  And I don't think there is any secret list, as that would be illegal.  They can store information on you about your history with them directly, but sharing "backroom" info amongst CU's would not meet FCRA and consumer laws.  Legally speaking, if you are denied credit, they are supposed to list the reasons and sources of information (CRA).

Message 2 of 10
dizbuster
Frequent Contributor

Thank you for your reply txjohn, I was just wondering if they looked at bad debt a little stricter against another credit union. You know maybe like a fico enhanced credit score kind of thing. The debt is still listed as IIB on my reports so they will see the past CU mistake.
7/6/2009 Equ 664 TU 680 (15 and 19 point jump respectively this week, over 100 point increase in 6 months)
Message 3 of 10
dizbuster
Frequent Contributor

Well, I was just denied a checking account for Alliant. It said based on info from EQ. WTH! I just got my Chexxsystems report a couple months ago and there was nothing on there. I can't see that was the reason. This sucks what did they see to deny me? What criteria do they use to approve or deny a checking account with them?
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Call Alliant and ask to speak to a LO and put that question to them.  They are actually quite friendly and can tell you what they want to see.

What is your EQ FICO and what does your CR look like?  How many derogs?  How many accts IIB?  What current tradelines do you have?

Message 5 of 10
dizbuster
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Call Alliant and ask to speak to a LO and put that question to them.  They are actually quite friendly and can tell you what they want to see.

What is your EQ FICO and what does your CR look like?  How many derogs?  How many accts IIB?  What current tradelines do you have?

EQ fico: 651

BK: 4/04

Still 3 or 4 accounts showing as IIB

I have about 10,000 in Student Loans that are in deferment. Two open collections, two public records. All over 3 years old now. I have opened lots of new accounts in the last year and a half. About 10 really. Current overall util. on all revolving accounts is at 13%.

I just didn't know that my credit history was a deciding factor in opening a savings and checking account. I guess I should have but I am already a member of my local cu and thought Alliant would be a great place to stash some cash not easily accessable to me. I thought Chexxsystems was the only factor in joining. Pardon my ignorance but I am just learning some of these things Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 10
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@dizbuster wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

EQ fico: 651

BK: 4/04

Still 3 or 4 accounts showing as IIB

I have about 10,000 in Student Loans that are in deferment. Two open collections, two public records. All over 3 years old now. I have opened lots of new accounts in the last year and a half. About 10 really. Current overall util. on all revolving accounts is at 13%.

I just didn't know that my credit history was a deciding factor in opening a savings and checking account. I guess I should have but I am already a member of my local cu and thought Alliant would be a great place to stash some cash not easily accessable to me. I thought Chexxsystems was the only factor in joining. Pardon my ignorance but I am just learning some of these things Smiley Happy

There's four reasons right there. (I assume the BK is one of the PR's or it is five.) They might let one go - but four baddies is a lot. ChexSystems used to be enough, but not any more. Even a lot of banks pull full credit reports now when you try to open an account.

Try to resolve those collection accounts. Open collections are bad news, but at least they under your control. You can move them to paid collections and can even get them deleted (PFD) sometimes. (You didn't mention anything about paid collections. Paid collections are baddies, too - just not as bad as unpaid collections. Also, if the open collections occured after your BK that is a really bad sign. (Exactly what they are looking for.) Otherwise they should have been IIB.

The public records are much stickier. They will stay out there for the full length of time allowed by law unless you get a court order to have them removed.

Message Edited by creditwherecreditisdue on 04-20-2009 10:34 PM
Message 7 of 10
dizbuster
Frequent Contributor

There's four reasons right there. (I assume the BK is one of the PR's or it is five.) They might let one go - but four baddies is a lot. ChexSystems used to be enough, but not any more. Even a lot of banks pull full credit reports now when you try to open an account.

Try to resolve those collection accounts. Open collections are bad news, but at least they under your control. You can move them to paid collections and can even get them deleted (PFD) sometimes. (You didn't mention anything about paid collections. Paid collections are baddies, too - just not as bad as unpaid collections. Also, if the open collections occured after your BK that is a really bad sign. (Exactly what they are looking for.) Otherwise they should have been IIB.

The public records are much stickier. They will stay out there for the full length of time allowed by law unless you get a court order to have them removed.

Message Edited by creditwherecreditisdue on 04-20-2009 10:34 PM

Thanks for the explanation creditwherecreditisdue Smiley Happy I knew things were not to shinny on my report but I thought it wouldn't matter if I wasn't applying for credit. I'm almost done with the semester at school and then I will be working diligently at PFD's and GW's. I have 3 PR's and one is my BK. Those were after my BK, collections as well. It's a long story but things are better now.  I think once someone else points out my baddies for me it does stick out like a sore thumb. Oh well, I'll keep chugging along with more repair.

Thanks for the reply.

Message 8 of 10
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

I assume the other two PR's are judgements (after your BK). See if you can get the creditor to agree to have the judgement vacated in return for payment. Get it in writing if they agree. If a judgement is vacated it has to be removed from your CBR's. You cannot PFD/GW a judgement - it has to run through a court of law. Otherwise a paid judgement, like a paid CA will stay on your credit report for the full length of time allowed by law.

Trust me - you can get on top of this! It will just take some time and some effort. One day you will be able to look back on all this as an unfortunate misstep you made long ago.

Just as an aside: You said you had had some success in opening new accounts during the last year. Assuming your credit reports looked then substanially the same way they do now people here are going to want to know who with.

Message 9 of 10
dizbuster
Frequent Contributor

I wanted to update about Alliant. Today I received an email welcoming me to Alliant CU. Puzzled? I was told no after trying to open an savings and checking account online. The message said I would be recieving something in the mail in a few days. I just checked my mail and I recieved the welcome kit to Alliant. I have a $5 balance in my savings account already. I didn't fund any accounts as I was denied initially.

It looks like I'm in with Alliant at this point. I did get an account number so I will try to start the online banking feature. Kinda wierd but I'll take it. I havn't applied for any credit cards yet. I think I'll work on my scores some before doing that.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.