cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I want to pay off billed credit card charges in full each month to improve my credit score.

tag
MMB85
Contributor

Re: I want to pay off billed credit card charges in full each month to improve my credit score.

Well, I appologize everyone. Didn't mean to be disrespectful and confrontational. Was never my attention. Thanks to those posters who helped to make things more understanding to me. That is why I joined this site. I stll have a lot to learn, but it seems like I am in the right place to acheive that. 

Message 61 of 67
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: I want to pay off billed credit card charges in full each month to improve my credit score.

While I do love a lively debate this one is turning in the wrong direction and I'll ask that we stick with the topic please 

Thank you MJ

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 62 of 67
MMB85
Contributor

@MMB85 wrote:

Alright I have yet to get my new Discover statement. That statement is going to be the first one with my FICO on it. So I looked at my previous statement and it said this:

Open Date: October 20, 2013

Close Date: November 19, 2013

Payment Information:

New Balance: $0.00

minimum payment due: $0.00

Payment Due Date: December 14, 2013

So this means that my statement cuts on November 19, right? So I should have a small balance remain on this card until after the 19th so that it gets reported, but then of course pay it before the 14th of december so I don't pay itnerest. right?

So really, my credit score, which people are saying is dated a few days prior to the statement date will be a month off, right? So, me having a balance on my card won't be reflected on the score I will get on this upcoming statement, and would have to wait until the following one, correct?

Bump. Appreciate the help.

Message 63 of 67
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Looks like this thread has gone off topic.

~Lexie

Edit: Correction, not off topic - 

MMB855,

If you want to start a thread pertaining to your situation, please do so.  

Message 64 of 67
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I'm unlocking this thread so that OP's question may be addressed. 

Please address those replies to the original topic.

Obviously, this thread is being watched.

Thank you 

~Lexie, myFICO Moderator

Message 65 of 67
Fico2Go
Established Contributor

LTlurker says it best..

>>>>Doing what you do might work for you, but is missing one of the key advantages of credit cards, you can get an interest-free float between purchase and due date.>>>>>>

Using other people's money for 30-60 days free is always a benefit. 

Another method that was not highly emphasized is Paying 90-99% across the board balance by the statement date -- leaving 1-10% balance reporting on all accounts.  I have no proof this works the best but it would keep all accounts active and maintain DTC ratios on individual accounts as well as total utilization ratios. 

One could choose to pay 1-10% by the due date...or carry the balance in the case of a 0% interest promo.  

Discover IT $19,000 == 12/2013
AMEX 12/2013 ---BCP $12,000 === BC $23,000 ----- 04/2014
CHASE SLATE $5,700 === 12/2013
BoA 123 $6000 === 12/2013
Barclay Rewards $1500 == 12/2013
Message 66 of 67
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@parkman wrote:

Thread is derailing...I think if we call mods 3 times in a row they'll appear...lol

As stated above, let's keep it friendly and on topic.  Thank you.  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 67 of 67
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.