cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I was reading the fine print on my barclaycard and ....

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I was reading the fine print on my barclaycard and ....

@chalupaman wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

its 24.99% APR !!!!!! That's higher than the 22.99 I got on my freedom when I really didint have much experience with credit ! Most of my card are offering anything 19 and below , discover told me the other night once my intro 0% ends I will be at 10% ...  So what gives Barclay !!!! . Has anybody had this issue 

They're like that a lot with their cards IMO. Have the same APR on my Arrival. Shouldn't matter though if you're not carrying a balance on it.

You have 24.99% on your arrival card? when I had rewards card with them, I got 24.99% but when I closed the rewards card to open arrival, it ended up with 18.99%, but try double check it, because I think arrival's max apr is 18.99%

Message 11 of 25
kdm31091
Super Contributor

The rewards card's APR is higher because it is more of an "average credit" or "rebuilding" card, so it's par for the course. Luckily, as stated you have lower APR cards anyway so it's not a big deal.

Some have reported getting APR reductions on this card after having it awhile, albeit still only to lower 20's, nothing "low".

Barclay gave me 20.9 on the Sallie Mae in December. In May/June, at 6 months, I'm going to see if they will lower it. I don't plan to carry a balance on it, and really don't even use it that much, but it's still gratifying to achieve that reduction. Of course, I don't see too many posts about Barclay lowering APRs in general so we will see

Message 12 of 25
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@chalupaman wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

its 24.99% APR !!!!!! That's higher than the 22.99 I got on my freedom when I really didint have much experience with credit ! Most of my card are offering anything 19 and below , discover told me the other night once my intro 0% ends I will be at 10% ...  So what gives Barclay !!!! . Has anybody had this issue 

They're like that a lot with their cards IMO. Have the same APR on my Arrival. Shouldn't matter though if you're not carrying a balance on it.

You have 24.99% on your arrival card? when I had rewards card with them, I got 24.99% but when I closed the rewards card to open arrival, it ended up with 18.99%, but try double check it, because I think arrival's max apr is 18.99%

It's a PCed version, meaning I converted my US Airways card to that. I find this card really useless. Just not a big Barclays fan at all and they do fraud alerts over the littlest stuff for me. It's currently sitting in the SD while Chase, Discover and Amex get nearly most of my spending.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 13 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think barclay used to offer two tiers of rewards card, one for average/rebuilder and one for excellent credit, too bad they removed excellent credit one.
I didn't care care about apr stuff even back when I was carrying balance, but now that I know better I checked across all my credit cards, most of them are under 18.99% except my purple hot mess Orbitz card which is at 24.99%, and that's why it's getting as much love as red headed step child.
Message 14 of 25
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I think barclay used to offer two tiers of rewards card, one for average/rebuilder and one for excellent credit, too bad they removed excellent credit one.
I didn't care care about apr stuff even back when I was carrying balance, but now that I know better I checked across all my credit cards, most of them are under 18.99% except my purple hot mess Orbitz card which is at 24.99%, and that's why it's getting as much love as red headed step child.

My average APR these days with the bank cards seems to be between 15-19% with my lowest being the 12.99% on the Amex EveryDay after the end of the promo period. Even my WF cards have lower APRs than my Barclays. Discover is 18.99% right now.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 15 of 25
happypill
Valued Contributor

Different cards for different purposes.  If you carry any kind of balance at all on a rewards card even for a month or two, it pretty much wipes out whatever benefit there is from getting rewards in the first place (initial spend bonus is a special case).  It also makes sense that if the issuers are handing out big rewards, they need to have some chance of recouping what they spend...they are for profit businesses after all.  That usually shows up in the form of AF, higher rates or other fees.

You should definitely keep a separate card for emergencies, or better yet, have actual savings or liquid assets for emergencies so you don't get caught in a CC trap.

Message 16 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

have actual savings or liquid assets for emergencies so you don't get caught in a CC trap.

+1 

Message 17 of 25
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Which card?

U.S. airways

At least it is Barclays and not Chase because there is a good chance to lower that one.  Btw.. mine is 19,99% on that card and now my Chase Freedom got some company.  Interesting is that I have 10,99% and 13,99% on my two other Barclaycards Smiley Happy ... and I am the same person..and what makes it even more interesting the APR reduction on the Arrival+ was two weeks after getting a 19,99% APR on US Airways..lol

Message 18 of 25
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Never read the fine print out loud or you'll summon demoms...lol!

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 19 of 25
CenturyChild
Frequent Contributor

Give it time.

Barclay WILL lower APRs.

My Barclay Rewards started @ 24.99%  % just over a year later its@ 19.99%. No, it still may not be a great rate, but the point is that they will lower it in time. You are not stuck there.  Just use the card.

It's also worth mentioning, that while Ive had a couple Auto CLIs, I never (as of yet) got a auto APR reduction.  I had to call and ask if they had a lower APR offer for me.

Give them a call every 6 months to a year. Ask if you have any offers on your account for a lower APR.

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.